Notices

Day 2 Of Sobriety

Old 06-02-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 Of Sobriety

Hi All,

I would like to say thank you to everyone for your postings and you are an inspiration to me. I don't feel like I am the only person going through same problem as before.

I have been drinking for the last 15 years or so now. It wasn't until around 10 years ago that I began binge drinking on the weekends then eventually drinking a little every night. After a few personal events in my life I started to drinking heavily every night. I have had some real low moments in my life since then but I still manage to hold down a marriage and my job; both of which could be much better if I were not drinking.

In the past 7 years I have been sober a total of about 2 months. When I am sober I am a different person and feel like a million bucks. I feel so good that within just a few days I have convinced myself that I can whip drinking anytime I want. This is my downfall and I feel as though I deserve a drink for going several days without it. Another issue that is bothering me is that I can't control my drinking. I do love to drink but what use is drinking if you can't control it? I have come to the realization that I can't control my drinking and will have to stay away from alcohol in any form for the rest of my life.

So here I am again on day two of sobriety. Will I make it or fall off wagon again? I am praying this time I will pull through for more than a week or two. I want my life back and want to be in a place where drinking doesn't appeal to me.

At this moment I have having some mild withdrawals. I have been trembling a bit and sweating like crazy. I went ahead and called my family doctor to ask for medication or to be seen and she refused only to refer me to a chemical dependency place. This bothers me a bit as I only need something to get me through the next few days. I feel very embarrassed to even ask for help much less the feeling of being turned away. Guess I will tough it out.

That is my current situation folks. I appreciate any comments and suggestion and thank you for taking time to read this.

longhaul28
Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congratulations Longhaul on your desire to get sober and reaching day 2. You will find a lot of support here. You were right to contact your Dr., and it's disappointing she did not want to see you. I would think she doesn't have a lot of experience in this area and was maybe following protocol for that clinic? Either way - DON'T be embarrassed. Not at all! Really, you were very brave and smart to ask for help. I really think you should contact the place you were refered to though. Detoxing on your own can be dangerous. Please consider that. I look forward to reading more from you and keep us updated!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

to SR longhaul!

You are in the right place. Support is definitely available here. I wouldn't have made it this far without this site... without a doubt. You also might try to find support in your local area through AA.

I agree with Ghostly... nothing to be embarassed about. You took the initiative to contact your doctor, and seek a referral, that's a huge step in the right direction and an indicator that you are willing to do whatever it takes to stay sober! Just take it one day at a time.... you don't need to worry about tomorrow, or whether you will make it a certain amount of days. Just stay sober for today. Weird how it works really, when tomorrow comes - its today again!!

Hope to see you around here....

I'm in the Chatroom - alot. Its a great place to just have someone to talk to, and get through whatever you might be going through moment to moment.... I've made many friends here that I cherish.

Congratulations on making day 2 - awesome!!

Lori
Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have found in the last several weeks that my wife and kids, who used to get on my case about drinking, have been instrumental in keeping me dry. The positive reaction to clearly more personal and meaningful interaction has been a strong incentive. In addition to clarity, there is definitely a greater sense of "presence" when I am not drinking. In the past, I was much the same in terms of going for a bit without, and then thinking one or two wouldn't hurt, until one or two became ten. I am in the same camp, realizing that I'm just not one of the people in the world who can handle alcohol in moderation.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

longhaul, welcome. This site has helped many, many people in their attempts to beat alcoholism and other afflictions. In addition to this site, lots of people use other tools such as AA, NA, counseling, etc. Hopefully you can find whatever it is that will help you in your desire to stop drinking.

It's unfortunate that your family doctor was unwilling to see you, but you should feel no embarrassment over this. Seeking help is the best thing you can do for yourself, and for the people who care about you. I too have been drinking for about 15 years, and I would also go through stretches of sobriety only to "reward" (now seems like punishing) myself with a drink, or 2, or 12, or however many until I passed out with my clothes and shoes on. But I'm just now at 10 weeks without a drink, and I promise you, it's a different world. Everything, from my relationships with people to the way I feel when I wake up in the morning, everything is better without the booze.

Ask around, talk to people, and try to find whatever will help you. This is a great place to meet wonderful people and get all kids of assistance.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for your words.

I will take it easy today and see how I feel. If things get worse I will seek out medical help. I have checked into Detox before but I simply can't take that much time from work and I really don't want to let my employer know of my problem; at least not at this time. I think AA is the only logical step for me and I hope it will keep me on track. This is a very humbling day for me in many ways as I am a can do kind of guy but I simply can't whip the drinking on my own.

I found an AA group here at one of our local churches. Can anyone tell me what to expect from a meeting?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sure...

They vary.... there are opening rituals... like the reading of the Serenity Prayer (found in the Big Book of AA) and the Traditions of AA, along with other appropriate readings at the beginning, and The Steps - usually people volunteer to read them. There's a group leader and a secretary, a treasurer (donations). Almost always the leader asks if there are any Newcomers and who is celebrating 30/60/90 days, 6mo, !yr Birthdays, and anything over that. Those people usually share, but its not required. I haven't been to one since my relapse (had 15 yrs until recently) but they used to give out keychains for the landmark sobriety times, and tokens (like a coin) for the birthdays.

Then everyone gets a chance to share their experience, strength and hope. You don't have to share, but an introduction of yourself is appropriate, and if you would rather not share, you can say you would just like to listen for today.

I am so glad you found a meeting.... (churches are common for meeting places and do not denote a Christian based meeting unless specified)

Glad to see you are proactive in getting what you need.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

All meetings are kinda different, longhaul. I live in Atlanta and I attend a meeting at a large clubhouse, with all kinds of different people from many different ages, races, economic backgrounds...it's a very diverse group of people.

Basically, at most meetings, there is a discussion leader. This person usually reads a passage from AA-approved literature and discusses a topic for the meeting. Then people share their own personal experiences as they relate to the topic of the meeting. But as I said, all meetings are different. Some nights there is a Speaker Meeting, where pretty much the entire time is taken up by an individual sharing their story of recovery. I like Speaker Meetings a lot. Some meetings are Big Book Study, where the time is spent discussing a specific part of the Big Book, usually one of the 12 Steps, and sharing our experiences with that Step. My clubhouse even holds Beginner Meetings, which are focused on the first year of recovery and the first 3 Steps.

What you can expect are people who have been through many of the things you have experienced, and who want to help you as much as they can. AA exists for those who have battled alcoholism to help other alcoholics, who after working the Steps will be able to help others.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am on Day 2 also

Hi Longhaul, I have been drinking for over ten years and am on my second day of sobriety also. We can do this. I am experiencing insomnia and also some sweating. I don't think these symptoms last very long, according to what I read on this site. God bless.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

JM78 -- Thank you. I hope the best of luck to you. I know its gonna be a long road.. but gonna take the one day at a time approach.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi longhaul!

Since you live in Austin, I'll bet there are doctors who specialize in addiction/detox in your yellow pages. I didn't know there was such a thing when I was going through withdrawals. I called my psychiatrist for something to get me through the first couple of days and he said the same thing: he wanted me to go to a rehab center for assessment. I was really surprised and disappointed, too. Not all of us can take a month off and pay tens of thousands of dollars, you know?

I drank alot of water/juice, took alot of B vitamins and ate alot (some people get nauseated, but I had a huge appetite for the first 3 or 4 days). Just remember to take it a day at a time and don't worry about all the non-essentials right now. In other words, be good to yourself and take it easy. We're rooting for you!!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Artsoul

I have looked into Detox here before and they are just outrageous in cost. I spoke to one place, which I thought was local, but turned out to be in Florida. I don't recall the price but they seemed more concerned with getting my SSN and Health Insurance information to see if I can afford to go. I explained to them I could not take weeks off of work and couldn't afford the hit financially regardless if I kept my job or not. It really bothers me that there are places that will help you for a price and who only care about the economic gain.

I did speak with my psych about medication but he is leery about giving it to me in fear I will drink while on it; something about alcohol mixing would cause a portion of my brain that controls breathing to shut down. So, I guess its a risky thing on their part to offer certain drugs.

I am a bit afraid of what will come in the next day and a half of not boozing. My body is accustomed to it now and its my comfortable shoe. I will keep all posted.

Thanks again guys for the encouragement. I think I am gonna just sit in bed with the laptop until morning and keep hydrated.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

longhaul, the people in your AA group may be able to give you some advice. Folks who are in recovery and know other people in recovery often have lots of useful information about places you can go for help. If you don't find that kind of info at your group, try another one in the area. Here's a link to a meeting list in Austin:

Hill Country Intergroup
Old 06-02-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry your doctor wouldn't give you a few days of meds. If your detox gets too bad you can go to the nearest ER and they will help you. Drink lots of water and juice, sleep if you can, take vitamins, especially vitamin B, and eat easy foods like soup and broth. I found that Evening Primrose Oil, an herbal supplement, helped my withdrawal symptoms.

Best of luck to you. The physical w/d only lasts a few days and then you'll start feeling better.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks Artsoul - I have looked into Detox here before and they are just outrageous in cost.
You're right - unless you have insurance that covers it (alot of us don't), it's out of reach for most of us. What I was referring to, however, isn't treatment per se, but regular doctors who specialize in treating alcoholism and addiction. In my phone book, they're listed under "Physicians" and I haven't checked them out, but I'm assuming their charges would be similar to any regular MD. Just a thought......

A laptop in bed sounds ideal too, and may be all you need right now. Keep hanging in there!!!:ghug3
Old 06-02-2010, 03:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Longhaul
welcome

I think your doctor probably thought she was doing what was best for you, but if you're not satisfied with your doctors response, you have every right to find another one - and I hope you will, if you think you need it.

I'm glad you've joined us tho - you'll find a lot of encouragement here
D
Old 06-02-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Here is what to expect:

Your First AA Meeting
Old 07-09-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Guys,

Just checking back in. I fell off the wagon not to long after my last post and felt guilty. I was able to find a detox place and going in this weekend. I am looking forward to getting some rest; at least I hope for some.

Again, I thank all for the great words and hope to be talking to you next week in much better state of mind.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey longhaul

there's no need to feel guilty here - this place is for folks who are struggling, y'know? We get it.

best of luck - look forward to an update soon
D
Old 07-09-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I agree with Dee - no need to feel bad about yourself. It just shows that alcoholism isn't an easy thing to deal with. I'm so glad you're going into detox - will you be in a treatment program? You should be proud of yourself for taking that step and putting the necessary effort into sobriety. You're worth it!!

When you think about it, people who have other diseases like cancer don't hesitate to seek out treatment for their condition. So why should we, right?
:ghug3