Notices

day 1.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 1.

Until about four years ago I had never had a desire to drink. A friend from work gave me a coke and gin and even though I hated the taste of gin I loved the buzz and have been in love with it since.

I started drinking only on the weekends or the night before a holiday but of course it got to be more and more. Mixing something into my soda in class at college, and then drinking more heavily at night. I have no friends that drink so I do not drink socially. I do it alone and love the buzz I get.

For the last 9 months or so my shift at work has gone to a night shift so I can drink after work till 4 and sleep in everyday. This has became a problem. I drink nearly every night until I pass out and I don't wake up until 11 am or 12 pm. This has begun to be a problem for me because I am sleeping instead of being with my young children and wife before work. I eat light every night so I can get a real good buzz later. My wife knows I drink but doesn't know how much whiskey I consume although I know lately she is getting suspicious. I need to stop and I know I won't take aa serious so here I am. Hoping that this board can help in the support I need. I've sworn off alcohol nearly every week after waking up and feeling terrible but this has to be it. I didn't need alcohol for 25 years and I don't need it anymore.

Feel free to comment or give suggestions.

I need to be healthy and I need to be sober for my family.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I began today too. I've spent the day reading a lot off this site and believe I have come to the right place. Advice is cool but insight and strength is what I seek. I stopped drinking successfully and will never touch alcohol again. I stopped smoking cigarettes successfully and will never touch tobacco again. Both were two years ago. Now I must do the same with opiates. I will miss them. I deny they were my problem and believed they were my cure. If I continue I will die an addicts death and I do not want that.
It will be hard. No doubt about that. It can be done. Let's walk this road man.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Admitting you have a problem and wanting to solve it is a good first step towards recovery. It might be a good idea to see your doctor for help in getting thru withdrawals safely. As far as AA, lots of people here don't use that program and are staying sober by other means such as counseling, other sobriety programs, or even just this site.

I wish you the best in getting and staying sober. I hope SR can help you as much as it has helped me.

Welcome to the family!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You may want to tell your wife. If your seeking help it shouldn't be issue. You say she is suspicious. I'm sure she is quite aware.
You will go through withdrawal and it will suck. If you've never been through it get some insight from people because the first time you'll feel death would be better. Prepare for it. You'll need a few days and lots of fluids. If you can see a MD and tell him exactly what you wrote in your post. There is no need to hide anymore. Don't go away, do this!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((needtolive)) - welcome to SR!!

I agree with ((Least)) - you may want to check with your dr. Alcohol withdrawal can be serious...depending on how dependent your body has gotten to it, you can have seizures or it can be fatal. It's always a good idea to have a good check-up, anyway.

I do want to say one thing. Though it's great to want to be sober for your wife and kids, recovery won't work unless you want it for YOU. I'm a recovering crack addict, and when I first got clean, I wouldn't/couldn't accept that I'd NEVER do it again, but I could agree to give recovery my "best shot" for 6 months. If I didn't like it at that point...well, there's crack on every corner in Atlanta. Needless to say, after 6 months I decided recovery was WAY better than using and I've got over 3 years.

I think it's cool that you've already got a "first day buddy" in ((Ocelot)) SR is an amazing place...I've got friends from all over the world, some are "alkies", some are opiate addicts, some are loved ones of addicts/alkies and others are ex-crackheads, like myself. We "get" each other here, and there's always someone here.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-30-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

HI needtolive and welcome to SR! I can relate to your post. I am self-employed, so it was easy to drink at all hours of the day if I wanted to. I have two children at home, but managed to hide almost all of my drinking from them (although they were very proud of me when I told them I decided to stop altogether). The vicious cycle of getting buzzed and dealing with hangovers got to be too much. I found I wasn't even getting any good feelings from it anymore and the hangovers kept getting worse and worse.

Be proud of yourself for starting on this journey. It is SO worth it!!!!

p.s. we have a May support group, if you'd like to join!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How does one join a May support group?
Old 05-30-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It's in the Newcomer's Daily Support Threads. Here's the link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html
Old 05-30-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. I applaud you for wanting to stop NOW. Like others have said, you may want to see a Dr.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here needtolive so I won't repeat it

Welcome to SR

D