Does it sound like my fiance has an alcohol problem?

Old 05-29-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does it sound like my fiance has an alcohol problem?

Hello! My fiancée is a 31 yr male, 6ft, 210lbs, father of an 11 yr old son, and he was just promoted to an E7 in the army last month. We have been dating 2 yrs. He is very functional & does not drink every day, but when he does drinks, he consumes A LOT. He says he has to drink so much in order to get a buzz. He claims his tolerance is "naturally very high...that drinking has always been something he is good at." His drink of choice in Jack Daniel’s & Coca Cola. He loves Jack Daniel’s paraphernalia. He says other brands of whiskey don't digest as well for him. He failed out of college due to alcohol & marijuana abuse, but he no longer uses drugs & he just started drinking again 3 yrs ago. He also has a history of high blood pressure & has to take medication for it. He is constantly on a diet & says Jack is very bad for his blood pressure & weight. Multiple times I have seen him say he is not drinking that weekend and then he buys a bottle the next day. Then after he drinks, he weighs himself, sees that he gained weight, and feels regretful that he drank so much.

I first became alarmed by his alcohol consumption in Jan 09 when I saw him put back 7 doubles of Jack & Coke in about 2-3hrs. After all that, he was just buzzed. One of his buddies noticed too & commented that my fiancé can really drink. That night I expressed my concern & asked darling fiancée if he could limit it to just 2 doubles/day. He got really angry, but agreed. For a few months he did it...but he has slowly escalated back up. I think his army unit has several big drinkers & they drink heavily when on their 1-2 week training trips out-of town (The trips usually occur monthly or every other month). Darling fiance likes to drink by himself while sitting on the couch watching TV. He pours himself a tall glass of half whiskey/half coke. Multiple times I've seen him consume a 34ounce bottle of Jack that way in 48 hrs. Last Friday he again said that he is not drinking that weekend but by Saturday night, he bought a whiskey bottle. This time, he consumed about 26 ounces in less than 24 hrs (about 18 ounces from 11PM-1Am on Sat & another 8 ounces from 5PM-8PM on Sunday.) He slept in on Sunday morning until 10AM & consequently blew off our plans to go for a morning jog & broke a promise to his son to call him at 9AM. The broken plans were not a big deal, but they are highly unusual for Darling Fiancé....he is always on schedule and on-time. Unfortunately Darling Fiancé & I have been dating long-distance for the past year, so I only see him 5 consecutive days/month. I know he drinks when on the training trips & when I visit, but he could possibly be drinking more frequently. A year ago he never even talked about drinking in front of his son & always hid the whiskey bottle, but now he talks about it, leaves the whiskey bottle in the frig, & drinks in front of him.

Do you think he has an alcohol problem or could be on the path to having a problem? Why does he feel the need to get a buzz while watching TV?
Old 05-29-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Welcome!

I vote yes. Alcoholism is a progressive disease and his does seem to be getting worse.

There are all kinds of "A's"-daily drinkers, binge drinkers,closet drinkers and other kinds. The bottom line is the same, they are alcoholics.

Have you tried to talk to him about your concerns? Might be the time to do so.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Back in Jan 09, I expressed my concern & asked if he had issues with alcohol. He got really mad & insisted he didn't. At that time I told him that I would not keep being his girlfriend unless he limited his drinking. He did for a little while, but its back up again.

Now we are engaged. I really don't know how to talk with him about this without him getting really angry and defensive. I tried to gently hint at it by pointing out that he likely slept late Sunday because he drank so much the night before. He insisted that it had nothing to do with the alcohol...he just changed his mind about wanting to run & turned off his alarm.

Do you have any suggesting on how I should point-blank address my concerns with him?
Old 05-29-2010, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

How the heck do you know how many ounces he has at any given time?

I don't even know how many ounces of soda I've had today!
Old 05-29-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I believe in total honesty. I would just tell him that I don't want to be married to an alcoholic and from what you have seen, he either is one or is on the road to becoming one. If you are counting his drinks, it is obviously a big problem for you. Why would you marry into it?
Old 05-29-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Daisey,

I drank for about 25 years and very heavily during the last 5 of that time. In reading your post, it reads to me that the only difference between your Fiancee and myself, is that I preferred Rum and Coke. I might also add that I am only 5'5 and weigh 123 Pounds.

People acquire a high tolerance for alcohol, regardless of weight, only one way and that is through ......'Practice.'
Old 05-29-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
How the heck do you know how many ounces he has at any given time?
I asked the liquor store how many ounces of whiskey were in the bottle my fiance always buys. (I was trying to determine how many servings of alcohol he is consuming). He said it holds 34 ounces/bottle. I measured how much alcohol was left in the bottle both Saturday & Sunday night and subtracted from 34. One cup = 8 ounces. Sunday night there was less than a cup left.

Its a bit much to be measuring, but I wanted to know exactly how much he is consuming at a time so that when I investigate whether there may be a problem I can give accurate information. The drinking has been slowly increasing & I really haven't been paying it enough attention.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Daisy, I suggest you spend some time reading the stickies at the top of this forum. There is a lot of wisdom there.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A large capacity for drinking and still seem "just buzzed", or an ability to "hold" your liquor is a major warning sign of someone who could be alcoholic. This is covered in detail in the book "Under the Influence".
Old 05-29-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Educating yourself on alcoholism will help you make decisions concerning your future. We have some excerpts from the book "Under The Influence". Here is the link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

This is also helpful in learning what you can do to help your loved one:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2051022

Welcome to the SR family!
Old 05-29-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Daisy - all I can say is RUN VERY FAST - away from this man! YES, he's an alcoholic.

Read the accounts of all the people on here, and you'll quickly see that it all adds up to MISERY for everyone involved.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
If you are counting his drinks, it is obviously a big problem for you. Why would you marry into it?
That's the thing...his drinking hasn't been a big problem. He is totally functional. I'm concerned for his health. But I'm also wondering if he will keep increasing the amount of alcohol he consumes. Assuming he is a functional alcoholic, do they usually remain level & functioning....or do they usually get worse and worse?
Old 05-29-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Along with my personal experiences, I do have professional experience also with diagnosing substance abuse and dependence. I thought it may be helpful to read through the criteria that someone with alcohol dependence (alcoholic) would have. This is how a counselor would come about with their diagnosis.

Alcohol Dependence - Diagnostic Code 303.90 DSMIV

A maladaptive pattern of alcohol use, leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by three (or more) of the following, occurring at any time in the same 12-month period:

(1) tolerance, as defined by either of the following:

(a) a need for markedly increased amounts of alcohol to achieve Intoxication or desired effect

(b) markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of alcohol

(2) Withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following:

(a) the characteristic withdrawal syndrome for alcohol (refer to Criteria A and B of the criteria sets for Withdrawal from alcohol)

(b) alcohol (or a closely related drug such as valium) is used to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms

(3) alcohol is often used in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended

(4) there is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control alcohol use

(5) a great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain alcohol, use alcohol, or recover from its effects

(6) important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of alcohol use

(7) alcohol use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by alcohol (e.g. continued drinking despite recognition that an ulcer was made worse by alcohol consumption)
Old 05-29-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

That's the thing...his drinking hasn't been a big problem. He is totally functional. I'm concerned for his health. But I'm also wondering if he will keep increasing the amount of alcohol he consumes. Assuming he is a functional alcoholic, do they usually remain level & functioning....or do they usually get worse and worse?

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. It never gets better. It always gets worse if they don't get professional help. As I said, read the stickies at the top of this forum. Read other posts in this forum. You will get a good look at what you are in for if you stay with this man.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daisygirl2000 View Post
Most always functioning alcoholics do get worse. However, you don't know what period of time that will be for one person to the next to not remain functioning as they are.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ksumm77 View Post
Along with my personal experiences, I do have professional experience also with diagnosing substance abuse and dependence. I thought it may be helpful to read through the criteria that someone with alcohol dependence (alcoholic) would have. This is how a counselor would come about with their diagnosis.

Alcohol Dependence - Diagnostic Code 303.90 DSMIV

A maladaptive pattern of alcohol use, leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by three (or more) of the following, occurring at any time in the same 12-month period:

(1) tolerance, as defined by either of the following:

(a) a need for markedly increased amounts of alcohol to achieve Intoxication or desired effect

(b) markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of alcohol

(2) Withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following:

(a) the characteristic withdrawal syndrome for alcohol (refer to Criteria A and B of the criteria sets for Withdrawal from alcohol)

(b) alcohol (or a closely related drug such as valium) is used to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms

(3) alcohol is often used in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended

(4) there is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control alcohol use

(5) a great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain alcohol, use alcohol, or recover from its effects

(6) important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of alcohol use

(7) alcohol use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by alcohol (e.g. continued drinking despite recognition that an ulcer was made worse by alcohol consumption)
Wow! Thanks for that professional response - that's really eye-opening!
Old 05-29-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your replies! I really love this man. Its painful feedback to swallow, but it sounds like I need to hear it. Im gonna buy a copy of that book Under the Influence.

Just wondering....do alcohol & marajjana provide similar stimulating effects?

Darling fiance claims that when he used marajjana (age 18-20ish) he was never addicted and that when he decided to quit he just quit. But given that drug likely had a huge role in his failing out of college his freshman year, I'm wondering if he was addicted & was in denial. I believe he even continued using the drug for another year or two after dropping out. I thought this was just a rebellious young & dumb phase he went through, but now I'm wondering if it was much more that.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Alcohol and MJ are different, but to an addict a buzz is a buzz is a buzz. You CANNOT fix this guy, he has to do it for himself. I am single at 48 years old because the 2 women I loved in my life were smart enough to not marry a drunk. I eventually sobered up for me, neither of the women I loved would ever have been able to sober me up.

My own personal experiences in AA reinforce this belief, all of my sober friends in AA, without exception, said they sobered up when they decided they had to, not because a wife or GF told them to.

You need to decide if you are going to be smart like my ex GFs. I hope you do not make a mistake and try to fix this guy because you may well waste a lot of precious time and have nothing to show for it.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Daisy,

You said in one post that you couldn't be his girlfriend if he were drinking to the degree he was at the time. Never mind that he cut down for a time. Today, he is again drinking to the degree you indicated, yet you are not just the girlfriend, you are now his fiancee.

Also, you said his drinking is not a big problem. Um....but you are here. It's a big problem. For you, and that's what matter. Even if it doesn't seem so for him (and it's a problem for him too, he just doesn't realize it yet. But I bet his son does)

Keep coming to this site. We care about you, and there is much to learn.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Another good book - in your case probably the more important book IMHO - is "Codependent no More" by Melody Beattie.