Notices

The Gas Station Interrogation

Old 05-29-2010, 12:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Exclamation The Gas Station Interrogation

Gosh I just got interrogated by the clerk at one of the 3 gas stations I rotated a day (so they wouldn’t know how much I drank, goodness, like they care) but in a conversation with a huge language barrier, my old "buddy" at one of these as stations that I just made a trip to at 3 AM for an ice pop, and I didn’t even think of going near the beer section.

The clerk kept asking why I am not buying any beer, I told him I wasn’t drinking anymore. He didn’t understand or didn’t believe me. He kept saying something to the effect of, "you'll be back later" or "you come get it in the morning right"?

I finally just told him No, and left it at that, but it’s pretty sad that exchange even had to happen. I don’t know if he was just shocked or didn’t want to lose a really good customer.

The good thing though is when I told him that I really believed it and said it assuredly, in the past if I was attempting to quit, without any program, or REALLY knowing it’s my life on the line, I would have just said not right now or nit tonight, but I told him no and I really believe myself.

I am glad I told him b/c I will be ashamed if I go back to buying beer I won’t go there b/c I know as I have been going there for a long time and he's always a sweetheart and chatty at times, but I know for sure if I go in and buy beer anytime soon or probably ever, since he’s my "buddy”, he’s going to say something to me about it.

I am now accountable to the third shift clerk at the Chevron Station. Go figure. HA HA!

I bet this has actually happened to a lot of poeople on here, nobody like to lose a customer, or maybe people just feel the need to say something when they see someone they have know for many years do something so out of character...

Goodnight, attempting sleep again...

<3 Dream
Old 05-29-2010, 12:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dream,

Don't take it too seriously. Sometimes clerks like to think they know their customers and maybe he was just trying to be friendly. There's a certain 7-11 I go into frequently and the clerks always call out "Hey! Diet Pepsi! We got you caffeine free today!" LOL

Get some sleep, my friend! You're sober and getting better every day! Never forget Rule 62!

Love,

Lenina AKA Diet Pepsi
Old 05-29-2010, 12:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Whats rule 62?

I thought the gas station story was more funny and actually it made me feel good to feel so confident in my statements to him. No your right, he is of another culture, we always have little chats off which I understand very little, but hes nice and always tryin to joke w/ me and I usually end up just saying OK and wondering what I just agreed to HAHA!

Good night DP HA HA!

<3 Dream
Old 05-29-2010, 12:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dream,

Rule 62: Don't take yourself too seriously! It's an old AA thing, I believe!

Now, you get some sleep, Ice Lolly!

Love,

Lenina
Old 05-29-2010, 04:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

that was cool. I always have liked to go into places and order a water with 3 lime wedges and it always gets comments- which I love to say as you did- 'not drinking now.......thats a good thing.
Hang in my Friend
Dub
Old 05-29-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

When i recently went into my favorite restaurant for the first time since getting clean i was a little nervous because i used to drink a LOT in there. To the tune of them stocking extra woodford's and stoli for my bi-weekly visits.

Well, when the owner stopped by to say hello and get me a drink(they usually comped the 1st one)i told him i didn't drink anymore. His response? Good for you! It's about time. We were worried about you.

It's funny and sad at the same time. hahaha
Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rule 62 is an AA thing. In the early days of AA, an alkie who was quite the salesperson started an AA group, using OPM - other people's money. This group tried to be all things to all people - AA, gym, social club, employment agency, bank, etc. They set up 61 rules to make sure everything ran smoothly.

When the whole house of cards came crumbling down, the rah-rah alkie sent Bill Wilson a note "Rule 62 - Don't take yourself so seriously".

This club from the early days reinforced or perhaps even had a role in establishing several of our traditions: singleness of purpose, self supporting, not lending the AA name, etc. You can read all about it in the 12x12.

If you want to read about another sobriety movement that got caught up in not having a singleness of purpose, google the Washingtonians.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Once when I went to one of the liquor stores I rotated to, the owner was outside. I hadn't seen him in weeks. He said with a big smile on his face, "What? Did you quit?"
I simply said yes.

I really thought I was fooling everyone by rotating stores. To show you how much I drank, all three of the owners asked me if I quit. Boy, was I a good customer at all of them!

Really thought I was fooling them, but the only person I was fooling was myself. I drank enough at each one for three people. I realize that now.

I still see the owners, one of which has 25 years sober in AA, and helped me a lot.
He told me once when I stopped in to say hi, "Ya know? I know alcoholism." And he does, of course. He turned out to be a great resource and inspiration. If I went in there now to buy booze, I just know he wouldn't sell it to me and tell me to go to a meeting.

Funny how things work out.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Rule 62 is an AA thing. In the early days of AA, an alkie who was quite the salesperson started an AA group, using OPM - other people's money. This group tried to be all things to all people - AA, gym, social club, employment agency, bank, etc. They set up 61 rules to make sure everything ran smoothly.

When the whole house of cards came crumbling down, the rah-rah alkie sent Bill Wilson a note "Rule 62 - Don't take yourself so seriously".

This club from the early days reinforced or perhaps even had a role in establishing several of our traditions: singleness of purpose, self supporting, not lending the AA name, etc. You can read all about it in the 12x12.

If you want to read about another sobriety movement that got caught up in not having a singleness of purpose, google the Washingtonians.

I had never heard the story behind Rule 62, so thanks for posting.

You are being serious, right?
Old 05-29-2010, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dream2bClean View Post

I am now accountable to the third shift clerk at the Chevron Station. Go figure.
This made me laugh. But whatever works, eh!?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Intention,

Yes I am serious. You can read about it in the 12x12. If I had my copy handy I'd look up the page #.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just tell people I have developed an allergy to alcohol. I break out in handcuffs. God Bless
Old 05-29-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brucel View Post
I just tell people I have developed an allergy to alcohol. I break out in handcuffs. God Bless
I have that same symptom, that and a massive case of the oh S***, what was I thinking? And sometimes hospitals that don't let ya out. Trying to manage my allergies with counseling, AA, and SR.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Intention,

Yes I am serious. You can read about it in the 12x12. If I had my copy handy I'd look up the page #.

Now I have read the 12 x 12. I've obviously forgotton for a reason - it's time to read the book again
Old 05-29-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brucel View Post
I tell people it makes me break out in spots, then start to name some of the more infamous bars in my area.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Dream2bClean View Post

The clerk kept asking why I am not buying any beer, I told him I wasn’t drinking anymore. He didn’t understand or didn’t believe me. He kept saying something to the effect of, "you'll be back later" or "you come get it in the morning right"?
I used to get the same thing from the owner of a party-store near my house when I first stopped drinking. Turns out he went out of business shortly after that. Could it have something to do with the fact that I went from spending about $300 on month on alcohol to about $30 a month on pop?
Old 05-29-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I would have been recognizable to the staff at about 3 stores in the last 3 or 4 years (but recognizable in my main store for sure). Some people retain info more than others. Since we have beer stores here (segregated from convenience and grocery), I am not in those now, so I don't know whether they forgot me. A couple of times a staff member from one store turned up at another, sorry about my luck, ha ha.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Originally Posted by dedubya View Post
that was cool. I always have liked to go into places and order a water with 3 lime wedges and it always gets comments- which I love to say as you did- 'not drinking now.......thats a good thing.
Hang in my Friend
Dub
Yo Dub,

Good to see you back