Notices

Day 3.......restless.....

Old 05-28-2010, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Day 3.......restless.....

irritable and discontent. I knew it was coming. It's usually about day 3 or 4 without a drink that I get this way. I am not only trying to give up the booze, but a guy......who may as well be a bottle of vodka, so yes, it's tough. My meeting is at 8pm tonight and I am meeting another alchoholic before hand for coffee.........this too shall pass.....but boy does it suck.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi lin - and welcome to SR! Congratulations on day 4- that's great!

I feel for ya - The first week is rough (and it sounds like you've got double trouble - ouch!).... Irritability is a part of the withdrawal syndrome, as is anxiety, so just be patient with yourself and keep these simple. The first week, I remember being great one minute, p'd off the next, spacey the next, etc. - I ran the gamut of emotions, not to mention sleeplessness, exhaustion, and all the other dandy things that we have to endure to get sober. At least you're over the worst part and things will start getting better each day. Don't give up - you can do it!

Sending hugs!
Old 05-28-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there Linja, it's great that you posted!

i can relate...am in the midst of Recovery: from alcohol...from my ex and the ones before him I obsessed over...from a brain that has had me living in this state of denial/entitlement (How come this keeps happening? why did he turn out to be a _____? why do I pick these guys?!)

I do feel now that each day that goes by I am a squeensie bit stronger. Each time i don't text him, or don't drink...I awake the next day feeling happier, prouder. Am Day 54 (i think? need to do the sobertime thing - either 54 or 52) - alcohol free and have not seen ex since April 29th...and I can tell you ...the 2, for me are very much entwined...so please hang in there, time takes time, it WILL PASS.

Have a great time with your AA friend and a great meeting! So good to get help and support.

Hugs
Soph
Old 05-28-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The first week can be a doozey. Take long walks, listen to relaxing music, do anything to change up your routine and your approach. Sobriety isn't always easy but it's always worth it. You can do it! Keep posting, welcome to SR!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to newcomers linjacjen
Stay close to your AA friends and to SR - you can break through the 3-4 day barrier

D
Old 05-28-2010, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anxiety in very early sobriety is common but it will go away with time. Hang in there and stay sober one day at a time. It WILL get better.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang In there. It gets better. Stay Strong, and yes, It sucks big time. But it sucks worse when your still drinking. Congratulations on the 4 days.
Way to GO!!!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 days!! Hang in their it will get better. hugs <3
Old 05-28-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Love this site

Thanks everyone for your support. (technically today is day 3) It's so nice to know there is always someone here. - Linda
Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Hang in there. I'm right there with you with my anxiety at day 5 ebbing and flowing from mild anxiety to what feels like a touch of a full blown panic attack, which I suffered years ago and havent had a full blown attack in years.
What I am doing now is something that a counselor (and recovering alchoholic himself) had taught me to do, it sounds silly and simple but I used to have my attacks in the grocery store mainly, so he taught me acognative behavorial technique which is to take 5 deep breaths in your nose and out your mouth and say to yourself at the time, Cal down I am OK I am going to be ok, or something along those lines.
I know it sounds very simple and a little silly, but it worked for me on the full blown attacks, yes I was the weirdo in the check out line (where they occured for me the most) white knuckeling my cart with my eyes closed breathing deeply and talking to myself. HA!
Seriously though, I was able to do it without anyone noticing and it WORKED! For me it did I promise, even on the full blown attacks, so I have been using it right now during my moderate WD anxiety so I hope you give it a try and it workd for you.
It's the long lasting, half day anziety that has been bothernig me the most right now, but when its more of an attack that technique worked for me.
I hope it works for you!
Good Luck!
<3 Dream