Notices

Top 3 "Trainwrecks"

Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Top 3 "Trainwrecks"

Idea stolen fron Notnormal, but I think its a good idea as well to also list our top 3 trainwrecks, famous people that are addicts/alcoholics and remind up not to go back there...

Lindsay Lohan
Amy Winehouse (where did she dissapear to?)
Joaquin Phoenix

Man I can name at least 50 of these easily....

<3 Dream
Old 05-28-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

I have just come back from an AA meeting where I saw the full horrors of this illness. It kills people and tears families apart, ruins lives, destroys childhoods.

I feel for everyone suffering from this illness, and their families and friends but "trainwrecks" is not a word I would use to describe anyone who is an alcoholic or addict.

In AA we give all alcoholics the same love, compassion, understanding and acceptance.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

+1
Old 05-28-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

1) dgillz
2) dgillz
3) dgillz

I made all 3 on the list me, at different lows in my drinking career. I am not here to take someone else's inventory.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just got home from an AA meetnig as well and, I'm still learning, and in the midst of personally living the nightmare of what drugs and alcohol have done to myself so it could have been mwe you saw at that meeting.

I am now just beginning to be sober enough to see the nighmare I have made of my life.

I have been to 6 AA meetings in the last 5 days, and heard the term "trainwreck waiting to happen" at least 3 times, from 3 different people, referring to young Hollywood, by 3 different people in those meetings or referring to themselves, maybe a difference in terminoliogy used here in the States?
<3 Dream
Old 05-28-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

I'd be pretty pissed off if anyone called me a trainwreck because I'm an addict, but I'm sure it's happened.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Dream2bClean View Post
I have been to 6 AA meetings in the last 5 days, and heard the term "trainwreck waiting to happen" at least 3 times, from 3 different people, referring to young Hollywood, by 3 different people in those meetings or referring to themselves, maybe a difference in terminoliogy used here in the States?
<3 Dream

Yes, you could be right there. In the UK here it is used by the tabloids and it is not done in a kind way but done to gossip.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Me
Myself
I
Old 05-28-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hmmm its definately used in that context here too Intention, thats for sure, when it comes to the tabloids etc.

I'll have to make sure that I am able to learn to "filter" the words and information I absorb at AA. I am so new to the program and looking for something (I am willing to do the work too though) somethig that can offer me a better life and a chance to live and break the cycle of alcoholisim and addiction in my family for myself and my young daughter.

Maybe in my desperation, I have been absorbing too much of what people say I am learning more here ar SR, about the fact that just b/c someone has a lot of clean time, doesnt mean they have all the answers.

Food for thought for me...thanks

<3 Dream
Old 05-28-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi again,

I understand you are new so can't explain the whole 12 step program to you in a few words but underlying it all is that the problem is ME - in that it is our ego, our self, our self-will which causes all of our problems.

The steps are designed to show the alcoholic how much the ego/self-will/me is running their life.

We then ask God or whatever is the power higher than ourselves (HP) to remove ur ego/self so that God or HP can reach us and we can have his power. Remember we are seeking a power because we are powerless over alcohol. and we are prepared to go to any lengths to get it

The more we let go of ego/self-will, the closer we get to God/HP and find that our lives become manageable and that our obsession with alcohol is removed. This is when we find the Promises, which you probably hear read at meetings, come true for us.

I think of ego as Edging God Out. The ego likes to tell us that we are better than everyone else so takes great pleasure in the downfalls of others or comparing to others. When I was drinking I used to buy the celeb mags and tabloid newspapers to read while I was drinking my wine. I used to have a great time - well so great, it nearly killed me! That's not to mention all the pleasure I took out of critisising, judging, putting down, comparing to others that I knew (most of it privately in my head).

Now I have recovered, I have no need to buy them anymore. Occassionally I may sit in a waiting room and get tempted to pick one up but if I do, I get sick quite quickly. My ego takes over instantly and pushes God out. If I push God out, I no longer have his power to remove my alcohol obsession.

The Big Book tells us that all alcoholics are self-will run riot so you will find plenty of egos in the rooms of AA. In the 12 and 12 there is a description of alcoholics which says we are "childish, emotionally sensitive and grandiose", which just about summed me up when drinking and every alcoholic I have met. The ego deludes us into thinking that we have to behave and think like this to be happy when the truth is it makes us miserable and nearly kills us.

The more people recover the more you will see humility in the place of ego. It's in humility that we find true happiness, serenity and contentment and a life without needing alcohol.

Keep coming back. It's great that you are making such a start already and willing to start the work.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That would be me.
And my life.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Focus

Yeah... I'm not sure trainwrecks is right because celebrities are just more publicized. Think of all the times you may have done things while abusing substances that no one saw and you never got caught... now imagine if you were followed 24-7 by photographers and fans and tv... and forced into rehab for making a mistake many others have made and could go out the next day and get back to normal life.

When people are watched all the time, things may tend to not only get blown out of proportion but also... there is no opportunity for you to escape getting 'caught in the act'.

Problem is that many celebrities also don't suffer great consequence. They may get say a day in jail and get a movie offer the next day because hey.. in hollywood seems nearly everyone is an addict. Seems like it would be pretty hard to 'hit bottom' in a situation like that.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I *know* it was done with good intent, but this isn't the message I want to send out to people who might be reading here for the first time. I know I'm not alone there

I was my neighbourhood 'trainwreck' - I know that for a fact - people didn't bother talking behind my back.

It didn't help me straighten myself out - but it sure gave me something to drink against.

I think after all we've gone through ourselves, the least we can do is have a little compassion and understanding for others in the same boat.

D