Notices

? about AA Sponsorship

Old 05-27-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Question ? about AA Sponsorship

Does anyone know what AA thinks of a situation like this?

Is it possible to start working the steps of AA if I previously abused my prescribed pain medication from a spinal fusion surgery, that as of today I am now taking my meds as prescribed, and orally. From doing the meds in the inappropriate way, and of course doing a lot larger amounts I was, I may still end up really sick until I can see my Dr., but I am going to take as prescribed until then regardless, do you think a sponsor will get started working with someone in my situation? Of course I guess its a case to case basis, but I do have legitimate pain, but am interested in seeing where its REALLY our once that crap is out of my system from there and praying its low enough for me to be able to use natural/non narcotic means of pain control such as Ibuprofen, heat, ice, exercise, stretching etc.

I want to get started working with a sponsor asap b/c I just know if I dont this anxiety, shame, guilt from all the things I did while using/drinking are going to continue to be so strong that I wont be able to get and stay sober, my life is all tangled up, I have become a person i dont know and dont like and know that the steps are the answer to working on myself which i have never attempted before and getting back to being more like "myself" everyday. I want to do the program of AA how I am supposed to and thus far have done everything I have been suggested to do since I have been going to meetings since this past Monday, and I am REALLY ready to get started on working with a sponsor, I know without it I will fail.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is an absolute clear cut answer to this IMO...

Find someone in the rooms that you want to sponsor you, remember you are looking for someone who worked the steps as quickly as possible to the best of their ability and, as a result of doing so, had a spiritual awakening...then tell them everything that you wrote here, no BS absolute honest truth about everything and ask their advice and see how they would like to proceed...as long as you are honest you will get the help and guidance on your question you are looking for:-)
Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

"Does anyone know what AA thinks of a situation like this?"

(edit) Yeahgr8's post was great. The right sponsor is so important.

My take is it's what you think about it. The vast majority of AAers were/are poly substance abusers. The rule of thumb most seem to apply is if alcohol is the main problem; go to aa. If you like try NA as well and see what you think. Regardless you will find people in either group who are simpatico with your perdicament. NA does seem to freak out script pill poppers if they go to the wrong meeting, but for oxy or similiar issues NA is probably a more appropriate starting point...
Old 05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I tried to start w/ NA b/c I had went (a little years ago, and didnt do much but sit there at the time) but that was years ago.

I did like it though an dthats where I thought I needed to be this time around and I did go there almost everyday last week or maybe it was 2 weeks ago now, and I was really a mess at that time.

It had changed a lot from when I went before. Out of all those meetings I got 2 phone numbers and had a man introduce me to the ladies to get them, or else they were doing to do their own thing.

For me, and maybe its just my area or choice of meetings, or just not getting lucky, but it was the absolute opposite from what I have experienced at each and every AA meeting I have gone to. I have meet every female at each meeting, getting all of their numbers, and really felt like the newcomer was the most important person there.

Thats why I am starting w/ AA, right now, but I am open to trying NA again if thats what my AA sponsor thinks I need to do. The people at AA just seemed to understand my sense of urgency here, without me even having to tell them, and I also felt that the newcomer has been the most important person for sure in every AA meeting I have gone to this week.

So I guess well see I am willing to do whatever it takes.

<3 Dream
Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Unfortuantely I wished I had just popped the pills as opposed to snortng and shooting them, and doing that w/ H when I could find it.

It didnt freak me out, I just didnt feel the love.

<3 Dream