Notices

Newbie here

Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ALF

Newbie here

Hello Everyone,
Here's my story. I'm 54, female. I exercise 1-1/2 to 2 hours every morning--run, walk, bike; and am vegan (eat no meat, eggs, or dairy). When I get home from work I change clothes, start cooking supper, and pop open a can of beer (light beer only) and continue drinking through supper which is 6-8 cans later. Been doing it for many years. It's my only vice, but I know it's poisoning my body. I stopped for a week or two a few times, but when I felt stressed, I'd pop open can but couldn't stop at just one.

I recently retired from my job of 36+ years so now I can start drinking earlier in the day. I know I need to stop or I'll be up to a case a day.

Right now I on day 3 of no beer. It's hard, especially when I slicing and dicing in the kitchen so I've been drinking lots of water with lemon as a substitute.

I've read the posts on withdrawal and I have never experienced any of the nausea, shakes, etc. Thank goodness.

That's me in a nutshell. Guess I need to get out of the kitchen.

Thanks for listening.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Alf!!

So glad to see you here!!
Wish you all the best in your recovery
Hope to hear plenty more from you!

If you ever need an ear don't hesitate to talk to me or anyone here!

good luck!!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

WELCOME! Today is my 4th day of not drinking beer for many years, folloed by a surgery and job loss that lead me to a lot of free time that lead me to drink earlier and earlier in the day, until it became all day long. I am glad you are catching yourself before you get to that point.
I have the same issues with the going to the fridge routine, needing something carbonated, I like the small san pelligrinos w/ lime, or club soda, so then I at least have someting bubbly to hold onto and reach for when I feel an urge and something to grab out of the fridge when I am going into it looking for what I wont be having anymore.
Good Luck!
<3 Dream
Old 05-27-2010, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey Alf! Welcome! You are not alone here and will find support. I look forward to reading more from you.

I love your screen name and Avatar!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do consider going to an AA meeting. They make not drinking easier, I find, and that's the bottom line.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, ALF - it's great that you're recognizing your problem before it gets worse (and it does!). If we could drink "normally" there would be no problem putting it down. Not wanting to stop when we drink is also a sign of alcoholic drinking. I'm glad you're here and hope you stick around!
Old 05-27-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome you will really like it here. These folks are the kindest people you will ever want to meet.
Peace,Lazyboy
Old 05-27-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Alf
I think you're made a good choice to look at your habits - and to come here
I know you'll find a ton of support.

Look forward to seeing you around
D
Old 05-27-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Wandering Student of Life

Hello Alf, and welcome!

I know it's tough to not think about drinking when we've spent years having it be a part of our day-to-day living; thinking about it comes as naturally as thinking about (and anticipating) a favorite TV show that's on nightly.

Since you're already a vegan, and you're in the first week of no-alcohol, I'd highly recommend taking some kind of b-complex vitamin. It is mentioned a bit in the "what to expect" thread about early recovery here, and all the staff I spoke with at the two different detoxes I've been to have practically insisted on me taking it on top of a multivitamin for at least the first few weeks of early recovery.

Best wishes, and take it a day at a time

WW
Old 05-27-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

Oh I used to love to cook and drink.. then I got sober and realized I still need to eat, and therefore cook. I kind of switched things up, you mention working out in the mornings.. I did too, but once I sobered up I had to change my WHOLE day, I was a very habitual drinker. I started putting things in the slow cooker in the morning so they were ready at night, making recipes i had never ever tried. Going to the gym during the time that I typically would be cooking dinner.. I don't work, so I know what idle time can do, all too well. Change it up! It really does help.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family! Lots of support and good information here so make yourself at home. :ghug3
Old 05-27-2010, 04:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome ALF - you will find alot of support here. I know I have and it has helped me stay sober

One day at a time.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Alf. Great job on Day 3! I'm female, mid-40's and an almost vegan. I know that doesn't count. lol! I eat dairy and eggs but rarely. I also used to drink and slice. It was a ritual. One that was impossible to change on my own. I would start out very determined but as soon as 5pm drew close, my brain got hijacked and I rationalized my drinking.

Keep reading and posting. You'll find that this is an amazingly powerful support network that can help you cope with the stress in a much healthier way.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ALF

Thanks everyone for your advice and good wishes. I really helps.
Holiday weekend is coming up...it's going to be so tempting. Hopefully I'll get through it.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi ALF,

I'm so glad you found SR. The people on this site are so supportive and kind. Just keep reading and posting. There is a fitness forum on here that you might like to check out too. Fitness, Health, and Nutrition - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information plus a number of other forums, too.

Take it one day at a time (huge help for me) and stay strong.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Other than the vegan part....we could almost be twins.

IF you are ready to get sober, you can do this. It was the hardest.....but BEST thing I have ever done. Ever.

Welcome to SR. Stick close!