Movies can't watch anymore

Old 05-26-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Movies can't watch anymore

Are there any movies you can not enjoy after the struggles with your alcoholic? Breakfast Club has always been one of my favorites. But, after the stuff I have been through with my AH I can barely sit through the scen where the kids are sitting together and Judd Nelson's character is being such an ass. I want to scream," Run, Claire. He will be exactly like his dad. He has already started emotional abuse and twisting words and manipulating."
Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

I avoided romantic comedies for a few years, only now started seeing them again. But yes there's a list of movies I don't care to see.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

As we age and mature the movies we once found funny seem pretty lame. I take with a grain of salt most movies my kids say are funny.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to have a real problem with movies where the Dad died, like "Dad" (Jack Lemmon) or Carousel (Gordon MacRae as Billy Bigelow).

It's really books that I've read that I have to skip chapters.. Like "We Were the Mulvaneys" by Joyce Carol Oates. Not to spoil it, there's a scene at the end that I was reading on the plane, and I had to shut the book because I was about to just start sobbing.

Then there was "Glass Castle" where I skipped certain parts altogether because they were too painful.

I find Days of Wine and Roses and A Star is Born to be really tough to watch sometimes.

The Lost Weekend is OK, but I found the end a bit unrealistic and overly optimistic. But I guess they had to end the movie somehow.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't like any movies with abuse or violence in it. I get unbearably anxious. There's enough in real life, I don't find it entertainment at all. One of the first movies XAH and I saw was Runaway Jury, and there's a part where someone breaks in and starts hitting a woman. My heart was racing and I started to sweat. I just looked down and chanted in my head, it'll be over in a minute, it'll be over in a minute. XAH noticed my discomfort and patted me and asked if I wanted to leave. He was sensitive to my feelings then. Two years later he was causing the that reaction; didn't care a fig how I felt, just assumed my feelings (inconvenient to him) were wrong and I deserved to be miserable.

Divorce is lovely.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can't watch anything with addiction or cheating. Both triggar me.