Notices

1st post

Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st post

Hi SR,
I have been viewing the threads for several months now and have taken great comfort from the compassion displayed. It's with trepidation that I have finally decided to post.
I have steadily drunk for over 20 years, gradually increasing the amount but never getting the high I once achieved. My wife finally got fed up and left taking the children with her (it's probably been said before, but I really can't remember if she left me because I started drinking or I started drinking because she decided to leave). Last year I lost my driving licence for DUI and came very close to dismissal from work. In January I spent 10 days in Detox and didn't pick up again for 6 weeks but took back to the habit like a duck to water. I've done AA meetings both while in detox and after but never really felt anything productive came of it. My Father was a very heavy drinker and one of my sisters is a recovering alcoholic but although there probably is a genetic link I would never blame my parents for any fault of theirs.
I fully realise my life is both unmanageable and insane due to alcohol but even while typing this the one thing I want more than anything in the world is another drink!
My post doesn't really ask any questions but is more just a "thank you" for being there.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! Hope you find help here!! Glad you are here.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

hi blue2 and welcome to SR! I can relate to that incessant desire to have a drink. No amount of alcohol ever seem to satisfy me until I was asleep in bed. Of course, when I got up the next day, I was shocked to find out how miserable I felt. I really didn't feel buzzed enough the night before to deserve the kind of hangovers that I was starting to get.

I knew I couldn't say no anymore and I came here and admitted my problem. It was scary as you say, but it was also a huge relief to talk to people who understood. The more I read, the more I knew I'd never, ever be a moderate drinker. Since then, it's been this website and staying sober one day at a time.

Congratulations on deciding to take your life back before it gets worse- hope you keep posting/reading!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi blue2-

Welcome. ...and you never have to drink again. Yes, it's going to be hard work, but you never have to drink again. Say it out loud!

Looking forward to reading and replying to your posts.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am on my first day in recovery as well. I left the program almost 15 years ago, and just now am finding my way back. A could good things i have heard from my father, a recovering alcoholic of 18 years is... This to shall pass. You never have to feel like you feel today ever again. Your worst day sober is better than your best day drunk.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. You might try AA again, maybe try several different groups. Each group is different. There are also other programs out there:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html

And keep posting here. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I hope we can give you support and information to help you get and stay sober.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Blue2

SR helped me to turn my life around - I hope we can do the same for you

and hi to you too ChristinaW
Welcome to Newcomers!
D