Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Off topic abt cats!! - freedom, Impurrfect, need your advice..

Off topic abt cats!! - freedom, Impurrfect, need your advice..

Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Question Off topic abt cats!! - freedom, Impurrfect, need your advice..

BF is fed up with the cat/kittens and wants to get rid of them ASAP.

We already know of 2 vets willing to give them away - one for free, another for 3! dollars that will go to him of course.

A friend says I already did "too much" and spent too much time and money for them and can't save the world etc...

On the other hand I say, ok, at least Mom won't have any more litters, but for one that is spayed I am giving away other 5, not neutered, to God Knows Who so I am helping perpetuate the problem.

At the same time I also know my landlord will kill me if he knows I got so many cats in the apartment. I know the neighbors can complain because of the noise.

I was planning on going to the Vets office and mention the current plans and ask them if they would be willing to keep them for another month... I am up to paying for their neutering operation... at least I would feel better with myself then.

My mom and bf and everyone says I shouldn't care and just to get rid of them in whatever way possible and that "no one" likes cats. According to BF no one here would be willing to give $50 (what the fund originally charges for pets in adoption) for a cat...

Kittens are now 3 months old.

I don't know if I'm acting like a codie for taking care of a problem that is not mine. On the other side no one seems to care or move a finger for the little ones, even the "friend" that called me originally saying she wouldn't be able to sleep after seeing all the cats on the streets.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

If it was about appeasing the BF, the cats would have gone away long ago...
Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

"no one" likes cats

That is so untrue... for me, I'd ditch the bf before I'd "get rid of" my cats or dogs... just my opinion...
Old 05-24-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Me too.
But I get where they come from.

My mom had that disease that comes from stray cats and affects pregnant women, she was afraid my sis came with a neurological problem. So I get her.

BF does ANYTHING to save a penny. Ppl from this town seem to save every single penny, avoiding concerts/restaurants so not to "waste" money, reusing clothes until they are unwearable, etc. So I get him.

I do not agree but I get where they come from. I don't want to have issues with my landlord, that worries me
Old 05-24-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The most important thing is to not get into trouble with your landlord. If you were to get evicted because of the cats, you won't be able to help them or anyone else. I say take the cats to the vet and let them deal with them. You've gotten mama cat spayed and have taken care of them to the best of your ability. It's time to let them go so you can concentrate on more important matters.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I personally love cats. Any shelters in your area? Most shelters will spay/neuter for free. Can you turn them over to a no-kill shelter so they can be spayed / neutered and go up for adoption?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Well i called a vet and he will accept all of them on Wednesday.
I'm worried about them ending up on the streets but hey nothing I can control now can I.

Although I'm thinking maybe keep the 2 females for another month and spay both? I don't know... of course the males may end up on the streets impregnating females but I feel bad thinking the females may end up just like Trixi, litter after litter after litter...
Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would imagine...if they're being turned over to a vet, that they won't end up on the street (more likely a shelter). I volunteer for a shelter and we see this all the time; you are doing the right thing, and you are giving these little ones a chance to live a good life off the streets.

Hugs.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((TC)) If I could AFFORD it, I would at least get the females spayed, no matter what bf or anyone else says. That way, no more kitty factories.

As far as him saying "no one likes cats" (or other animals, it sounds like he's thinking)...your vet has a business..obviously he has customers, right? These people have pets? SOMEONE likes pets.

I know it's a hard decision...I'd already be attached to them and giving them to anyone would be like ripping out a part of my heart, for a while. But, that's one thing everyone IS right about...we can't save them all. You've done a great job to get them this far.

The vet does sound like a good idea, as they're in the business of keeping people happy with pets.

I'm praying that all the babies get a good home.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-26-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks a lot.

BF took Mom, and the three males, to the vet today morning.
I asked God to take care of them.

I just called the vet and told him, if someone is interested on the male kittens, to tell me and I would be willing to pay for the operation. That gives me peace and I hope it motivates said vet to push for any new owner to neuter the kitten. He also asks for 1/3rd of what the original vet asked for so I can afford it.

When I said bye to Trixi I felt sad but it is true she was in a room alone all day and it was not fair to her. She is a great Cat. I felt sad the last time carrying the kittens, Gizmo was very hairy and fluffy and he was afraid of a lot of things,

We are keeping the two females for another month until they can be spayed. I hope they don't feel so bad, at least they can keep each other company now.

I used flower remedies and homeopathy in every cat so they can cope with change.

BF almost keeps one cat he grew attached to, and also misses the kittens.

I am more relaxed knowing from now on no more meows, or at least not that many.

Thanks for your support.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Old 05-26-2010, 05:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If it helps...my parents ended up with their two current cats when they went into a vet's office to visit the staff there and thank them for being so kind when they had to have their elderly / terminally ill kitties put to sleep (a few months prior). They didn't intend to walk away with two more cats...but they did, and they are so happy now.

So your little ones are in a good place to find loving forever homes.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

((TC)) you did more than most people would do for the kitties. I truly believe HP looks after our furbabies, so I will pray that Trixi and the boys get loving homes.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy