Now What?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Now What?

Hey Y'all, I've been reading this forum for a while now, and have gotten a lot of useful info even though I'm male and it seems most on here are female. The problems and/or solutions seem to be the same for either gender. I finally decided to register and log on.
I am married to an AW that has finally, after years decided to go to rehab. She has attended AA meetings and had multiple sponsors for a few years. I was hoping to get some feedback on what my part should be in this process. I know there are many of you that have gone through this.
It's really kind of ironic, I was starting to arrange things to leave even though I hadn't told her.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your part is to work on yourself and your own recovery.

Have you been to any al-anon meetings?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((Anytime Now))

welcome to our SR family - hate that you are affected by the disease of alcoholism - but so glad your wife is seeking help and so are you!!!

I see you are from the Houston, TX area - I know for a fact there are some really great Al-Anon groups in that area (Have some friends that live there) not sure where you are in the Houston area - but if you wanna PM where you live - I can find out where is a good group close to you.

Attending AL-Anon helped me greatly when my ex AH entered rehab - we actually did very well as a "recovery family" with him working his program & me working mine for almost 3 yrs.

Sadly his allergy to pain meds & alcohol reared it's ugly head and he relapsed shortly after our area was devasted by Hurricane Rita and has not been able to maintain sobriety since.

BUT there is so much healing, peace and comfort in working on my own recovery - I truly don't believe we would have had those 3 recovery yrs in our marriage if I had not done my part by working on me.

Best wishes for YOU & Your Wife!!!

HUGS (hope, unity, gratitude and Serenity)
Rita
Old 05-26-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Japic05 View Post
((Anytime Now))

welcome to our SR family - hate that you are affected by the disease of alcoholism - but so glad your wife is seeking help and so are you!!!

I see you are from the Houston, TX area - I know for a fact there are some really great Al-Anon groups in that area (Have some friends that live there) not sure where you are in the Houston area - but if you wanna PM where you live - I can find out where is a good group close to you.

Attending AL-Anon helped me greatly when my ex AH entered rehab - we actually did very well as a "recovery family" with him working his program & me working mine for almost 3 yrs.

Sadly his allergy to pain meds & alcohol reared it's ugly head and he relapsed shortly after our area was devasted by Hurricane Rita and has not been able to maintain sobriety since.

BUT there is so much healing, peace and comfort in working on my own recovery - I truly don't believe we would have had those 3 recovery yrs in our marriage if I had not done my part by working on me.

Best wishes for YOU & Your Wife!!!

HUGS (hope, unity, gratitude and Serenity)
Rita
Thanks, Japic05. I live near NASA. I'm sorry to hear about your AH's relapse. Ironically, we actually had a huge family blow-up during IKE while we were all cooped up in 100 mph winds and my AW's drinking took a turn for the worse immediately after.
I have been to probably 9 or 10 Alanon meetings. I have tried three different meetings, and I get something from every one, but have gotten more useful info out of their books and this website. My involvement in Alanon and the independence I have exhibited lately might have initiated AW's rehab plans. I do still have problems detaching, then re-attaching. I have a hard time the next day acting like everything's ok.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have gotten a lot out of Al Anon literature. I just started attending Al Anon meetings about a month ago, find it hard to talk yet, so this forum has been helpful.