Notices

Feeling sad, resigned...

Old 05-23-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling sad, resigned...

Heyah...
Usually, I'd be well into my second or third beer by now. I've decided it's time to quit.

I was attempting moderation by following the instructions on another website. Sunk who knows how much purchasing prescription anti-craving drugs without a prescription from over-seas, purchased accompanying books, supplements, etc. Nada.

I'm not the brightest, but I'm guessing it's time to tough it out and just quit already. I look forward to hearing from all of you- maybe you have some advice?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I was incredibly stubborn with trying to moderate my drinking too and cut back. It never worked. Stopping was the answer for me and I hope it will be for you, too.

Welcome!
Old 05-23-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR. You'll find a lot of support here.

I would recomend talking to a Dr. They can assist you in safely detoxing. I think cutting back to eventually quit is difficult for most people, if not impossible. I have read that a lot from other people here too. Consider AA. Look over the info on this site. If you are thinking it is time to quit you are probably right.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi fenugreek

I definitely agree abstinence is the way - I spent years trying to control my drinking - it was like trying to catch the wind in a bag.

Have you seen a Dr? it's often a good first step - detox can sometimes be a problem for some.

I've found posting here to be a great help - others also use face to face recovery groups like AA or SMART or the like....

here's some links to the main recovery players
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html

Welcome to SR
D
Old 05-23-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome, and concern, folks. I'm o.k. without detox. I'll be depressed tonight. Come morning, I'll feel happy to be waking up with all the requisite morning after crap...both physical and psychological. By the end of the week, my hands will be steady. From that point, it will be a matter of convincing myself that I really "can't" drink normally. Not on weekends, not ever. Which sucks, but there's nothing in my history that indicates that moderation is a practical alternative for me.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link, Dee!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Fenugreek))) - welcome to SR!!

Alcohol wasn't my "thing" (I'm a recovering crack addict) but I've read where a LOT of alcoholics tried to moderate before they finally realized that just didn't work, so you're in good company.

I did want to echo (not harp) about seeing a dr. Even though you've been through this before, detoxing is tough on a body and each time we do it, it's a little more stressful.

I used 12-step programs in very early recovery, but SR has been a MAJOR source of my support.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-23-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

hi fen - it was always my dream to be able to drink in moderation, too. I finally got it through my head that it's a fantasy. I never stopped thinking about that next drink. Social drinkers don't worry about moderation.

This is a great place to read and get support. SR really helps me stay positive and focused on my recovery. You making the right choice - kudos!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family! I hope you can find the support you need to quit and stay sober. It takes some effort and even some sacrifice to stay sober but the results are so worth it.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

hi Fenugreek (mm fenugreek) -- Welcome to the site. I agree what others above said; I tried moderation so many times but it didn't work. So, I relate.

Your title says you're feeling sad and resigned . . . I know that feeling too! And though it still pops up once in a while I can tell you at least in my own experience, 37 days sober today, it really dissipated quickly and I feel a lot better now. Much, much better.

This site has been a huge help to me, and I'm sure it will help you too.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recent T-totaller

Hi Fenugreek,

I tried moderation a thousand times. Ain't working. I'm only in my 9th day but I feel so much better already.

So welcome here and perhaps you want to join the May group of the under two weeks of abstinence.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the welcomes. I'm feeling o.k. today. Calm. Last night was not a struggle because the whole idea of drinking was "off the table", which hasn't been the case, previously.

Seeing as how many of you have been in this very same spot, it seems this might be the place for me.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yup: moderation is a crock for an alkie. The good news is that things just get better and better if you don't drink. The bad news is that the cunning, baffling and powerful drug is always lurking, so that we have to have something - a program perhaps - to help us keep vigilant, maybe get other help - spiritual, social, cognitive - as well. So it seems.

Last edited by Norther; 05-24-2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling error: typo