Notices

How stupid can I be?

Old 05-23-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How stupid can I be?

My last major drinking "incident".

Awaiting a court appearence (for a DUI/refusal/reckless), feeling sick/shakey - go across street have 3 quick shots (pissed off they were 3 bucks each and so small!)

Go to court, settle my case, awaiting paperwork, etc - fall down, have a seizure, breaking my nose..(still in court house)- someone called ambulance, spent next 5 hrs in ER -had no idea what happened, had to call my lawyer and ask him) cat scan, x-rays, blood work, etc....
Given anti-seizure meds and appt for neuro dr and released.

I told them it was my first seizure, actually it was at least the 3rd.
I chalked it up to mixing massive amount of alcohol daily w/antidepressents and xanax.

Still didnt stop drinking for nearly a month.
And i lost my license and owe thousands in fines, plus my car is totaled.

Finally just stopped - w/d hell, but over pretty much now - on Day 4, feel ok.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Holy moly.. glad you're ok, considering. Glad you found SR too.. we're pretty cool to hang out with, virtually.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR... You've come to the right place!!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Pretty and welcome! Thanks for your post. I reminds me of why I need to stay sober today. I'm sorry for all that's happened to you and I'm sure it doesn't seem possible for things to be good again, but they can, as long as we don't pick up that first drink. I'm glad someone was around when you had a seizure and was able to get you to the ER.

I hope you keep reading and posting. Get as much support as you can and take it a day at a time. You can do it this time!
Old 05-23-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prettyburn, I had a friend who mixed alcohol and drugs like Xanax (if I remember correctly), and who knows what else. He used to sip down everyone's drinks while they were dancing in the night club. Smash glasses and cut his hand. Start fights, including one with me. One time I had to call an ambulance when he started having a seizure. On a different occasion, I called an AA number looking for advice when he was acting really strange (I didn't know what else to do). Then one morning, I found him crawling across the floor, sobbing, on his way to the phone. He called a detox clinic, but said he couldn't get in when he hung up the phone. I broke off the friendship, because I couldn't take it anymore and moved on. A little less than 2 years later, which is around the time I started to drink alcohol every day on my own, he died. I never got the full story, but one version I got was that he must have had a seizure and smothered in his sleep. It could have been an OD, who knows. I still feel guilt for "leaving him behind."
Old 05-23-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey prettyburn..wow..i cant compete with that catalogue of events..hope your ok..sounds like a real crash course of events..sometimes brings about essential change,
needed to boost resolve in cracking this beast of Alcoholism...had a few near disasters myself..along the way..health of late,started givin heavy duty signs of dissaproval, an pain, to alcohol abuse..on day 28..feelin pretty good...though man i know a long long way to keep goin..goin one must though.. keep that beast at bay...show i,m whos boss an all that...havin been subserviant to the control of the alkie beast..runnin the show mentally for so long...time was defo up for serious change...and livin day by day,free from booze..and startin again to get so much done..whoa..actually re,learnin how to multi task again...i hope you stay with your new found sobriety..its so worth it,
best of luck buddy..
Old 05-23-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard. Good and bad news.... Bad news is, keep drinking and it will only get worse. The good news? You never have to drink again. Stick around, plenty of support here.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us and that you are feeling better!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome prettyburn...you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR....you have tons of support and plenty of info and experience to read through. That certainly is some pretty scary stuff and the fact the alcoholic mind still wants to drink even when doing so will kill us is so frightening. I can relate to shaking and vomiting from drinking to much and once I was finished.....well I would continue to drink. Those days were pretty awful and as I knew it was wrong....well my mind kept telling me drink drink drink. I was controlled and consumed by desire to drink.

Best of luck in your journey and remember to take it one day at time. Sobriety is amazing and you have the strength to do it!!!