Hi all

Old 05-22-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all

New here, feels like the right place to be.

I found out Monday that my sister has been shooting morphine she has a child and a husband, we tried to get her into treatment that day but after we got to the facility she got cold feet and backed out. She says she wants to try it on her own, were all fairly sure she has detoxed however I just dont see it really lasting as she hasnt made any efforts to attend any na meetings, I mean with out the knowledge of how to live with and handle the addiction how does anyone keep from relapsing?

Thursday my brothers use came to a head, mom found half a tab of xanx and an oxycotin, needle, spoon laying out in his room. She took it he threaten to cut his throat if she didnt give it back knife held to his throat after talking to him a bit he relaxed only to become agitated again and he ended up slashing his arm to the bone. Police and ambulance showed up swat the whole nine hes on a 96 hour protective hold at the hospital mom turned over the drugs and other stuff to the police.

Right now Im pretty much still in shock I had know idea that they were using opiates, I feel lost and confused and really dont know what to do. I love them both but dont know were to go from here. I guess why Im here guys is I needed to know what I need to know what I can do in order to aid them in making a recovery. I mean should I visit him while hes on the 96 hour hold or would that only enable him further? Should I try to set the example and attend na meetings myself? Its been a crazy week
Old 05-22-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

jimmmm

wow! i am sure you are in shock.
first, let me say welcome to sober recovery. you will get lots of experience strength and hope here.
read some of the stickies here at the forum. they will give you some of the information you are seeking.
you could find nar-anon meetings for yourself. if there are not many available there are other meetings such as al-anon for the loved ones of addicted people.
what a tough week for you and your family.
i will be thinking of you, your parents and both of your siblings.
beth
Old 05-22-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Jimmmm!

Wow, it has been a week. I'm sorry that you and your mom are going through this!

You might want to consider attending a Nar-Anon or Al-Anon meeting. These meetings are for friends and family members whose loved ones are addicts/alcoholics. If you prefer an "non-Higher Power" centered sort of meeting, there are plenty of other options available.

I hope that your brother and sister reach out for the help they need. You will all be in my prayers.

HG
Old 05-22-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, Im making my way through the stickies now, theres lots of good info there. I just found an NA meeting down the road from me that I will hit up, I would prefer a non faith based meeting is there a list anywhere of those type of programs? If I cant find one of those in my area Ill just stick with NA I gotta do something or Ill go crazy, is there any protocol for the NA meetings that I should be aware of? Should I show up 5 to 10 min early? It says its an open meeting should I explain who I am and why Im here to anyone when I first arrive? Sorry if my questions seem foolish this is all very new to me.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do whatever feels best for YOU! You're going, that's a HUGE step. Do whatever feels right feels to you and they will accompany.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hello jimmmm,

welcome to sober recovery. this is a good place for you to learn, process, and make some positive changes in your life.

let me point out that na is narcotics anonymous. it is for addicts who wish to get clean and sober. the counter-part to that, is nar-anon. naranon meetings are always open to anyone who wishes to attend, but they are few and far between. in that case, al-anon works just as well. they use the same principles. you probably do need to go to a several meetings, just to start to get the lay of the land and for some of the principles to begin to start seeping in.

i have found that attending naranon felt more "right" to me, because the behaviors (of the addict) are often way more out of whack and those in the meetings have very similar experiences. this is powerful.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i'm so sorry to hear this. i wish i could say something to make it better, but i am new here myself and have just begun the whole process. i wish you and your family well, and i hope you and your family can find peace somewhere, somehow.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

NA is for narcotic addicts. Are you an addict too? If not you could most likely still attend if it is an open meeting.

Naranon is for friends and family of the addicts. This may be what you are looking for.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Jimmmm))) - welcome to SR, though I'm so sorry for what you're going through.

As has been pointed out, NA is for the addicts, nar-anon or al-anon is for the loved ones. A lot of people think they are "faith based" as they use the term "higher power" but it doesn't have to be about "God". Your higher power can be anything...even the group...the easiest way I can explain it, it's something you believe in that has your best interests at heart.

I'm an RA (recovering addict) and I have loved one's who are addicts, and SR has been a HUGE help to me on both counts. People just don't understand what we're feeling unless they've walked in our shoes. The people HERE, "get it".

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-23-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I just figured that out last night I kept seeing nar anon and was assuming it was na, you know what happens when one assumes.

Mom and dad went to see him last night, they said his attitude had changed for the better, and he apologized for everything, we will see what comes of it. Hopefully they dont start enabling him again out of pity, I was reading last night about how its the tendency to draw a hard line and the back track out of pity.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
grateful rca

welcome

you and your family are in my prayers.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Hi Jimmmm,
My prayers are with you and your family.

Yes, meetings can steer you in the right direction to help you, no them.

There's no magic bullets when dealing with addiction.
If you feel like you wish to visit your brother,
there's no rules, do as you feel.

Read the stickies, perhaps share them with your parents.