Notices

New To This Thing Called Sobriety

Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New To This Thing Called Sobriety

Hello, my name is Steve, I'm 23 have been drinking nearly everyday for the past 6 years. The longest I ever went without a drink in that time frame was about a week. I've decided to give it another shot and I'm on day 4. To be honest I came across this site while researching the night sweats - like so many have had here based on my Google search. I woke up during the middle of the night completely soaked literally wiping my hand on my forehead and just throwing the sweat off. I had this happen before during that one week I stopped but it was only one night. My alcoholism pretty much got to the point that I wouldn't go out unless I drank - even if it was just to go to a friends house and watch a football game, play video games, play football, whatever it may have been. Needless to say I haven't been outside of my home unless it was to go to work these past 4 days.

The thing that sucks the most is I forgot how to sleep on my own. I'm so used to getting hammered hitting up some fast food joint and passing out every night. I've been finally getting to bed around midnight but waking up at 7:00 AM completely refreshed - feels quite strange and I don't know what to do with myself since I'm used to sleeping until 9 trying to get rid of that crappy feeling. One thing I did notice too is the anxiety is gone since I stopped. Almost everyday driving to work I'd get the craziest anxiety for no reason. I believe the daily exercise regime I started 4 days ago also has been a help with that too.

I used to be addicted to cocaine, adderall, and also sleeping pills (to put me to sleep after the cocaine and boozing all night). I would do 1 to 2 grams of cocaine every other night and take 4 Tylenol PMs to try and fall asleep. I've kicked all 3 of those for almost two years now and have no desire to ever go back to them. The mental addiction to cocaine was tough, but I think they were a lot easier to quit since they aren't really "socially acceptable" like alcohol is.

Well, I think that's all I can really say for now - not sure what else. Just thought I'd post and introduce myself!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi Steve -- welcome to the site and congratulations on your four days! This site has helped me tons and I hope it will help you, too.

Originally Posted by InternetJunky View Post
My alcoholism pretty much got to the point that I wouldn't go out unless I drank - even if it was just to go to a friends house and watch a football game, play video games, play football, whatever it may have been. Needless to say I haven't been outside of my home unless it was to go to work these past 4 days.
I relate to this. One of the biggest challenges of the first days/weeks of my sobriety was trying to figure out how to fill time/what to do when all my old free time activities involved drinking. Slowly, I'm re-learning how to socialize and have fun without it . . . and it feels so much better. Checking in here a lot helps.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Steve, welcome to the site, glad to have you with is.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You have our support and those withdrawal symptoms can be pretty ugly. I had hot flashes so I can relate but my biggest thing was the inability to sleep at all and nausea. I couldn't hold anything down for about 5 days and I had quite a bit of anxiety. It is different for everyone the extent of withdrawals.

I am glad you made the choice to get sober and it will get better friend. Just hang in there and make recovery your priority.

Take it one day at a time. All the best.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Steve. One of the biggest things that I hated was the night sweats. During the first 8-10 days after going sober, I would wake up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat. My sleep pattern was awful because it would be every 1-2 hours where I got up and was drenched and I would get cold chills. I think the worst was one night where I had to change my clothes 5 times in a matter of maybe 6 hours of sleep. I'm so thankful now that I can just wear one pair of clothes the whole night and not be woken up from the night sweats.

About over a year ago, I was addicted to sleeping pills (lunesta and ambien) and when I ran out of them, I experienced the night sweats too. It was just like when I was detoxing from the alcohol. Since you are on day 4, if you are still experiencing night sweats, I recommend that you wear some gym attire to sleep. If you have any of those spandex material clothing, wear those to sleep. They work really well in absorbing the sweat and keeping your skin dry. The worst would be anything cotton like sweat pants. Those felt like I was sleeping in cold water. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to know you are pushing through these symptoms and not giving in. Night sweats and anxiety are the ****tiest things I have ever encountered. But, they will pass and you will feel more clear than ever. Keep at it man.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Steve
Welcome to SR. The longer you stick around, the more you'll find this is a pretty good bunch of supportive, caring people. Like you, I started my destructive career in drinking at 17. The biggest regret I have is that I didn't stop when I was young like you. Our lives are such a gift, and yet we go out of our way to destroy them. You will soon notice there are some young people like you on this site, who have bitten the bullet and stopped drinking. Their experiences of sobriety are probably the best argument for kicking alcohol now. Good luck!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Steve.

Night sweats! Pissing the bed even. Ah, the memories. Drinking really is insane.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! Four days is a good start to a better sober life.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Steve,

I'm glad you are here. Reading and writing about our trials and successes helps keep us sober. And it is entertaining too.

Best wishes.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Norther
That's a good point. Zero night sweats without alcohol. I remember a late friend
who used to get so slammed he used to think his shoe was the bathroom. He used
to go to work with wet socks!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AWOL View Post
He used to go to work with wet socks!
That's funny, thanks for the laugh!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Until some of you had mentioned I never thought twice about the nausea I've been experiencing to be a symptom. I'm taking workout supplements right now so I figured that was the cause - guess not, since I've taken these before without any problems.

Ahh, the beginning of day 5. This will be a tough one I'm going over to my sisters house so her husband can fix my car. I have never in my life time went there and not had at least a beer.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi IJ and welcome to SR (and a new life)! The first few days were the worst for me, but I found it took a good two weeks to start to really sleep well. It was pretty frustrating. Plus, I felt tired all day. But I knew if I kept drinking, I'd have to live through withdrawals over and over again. I wanted to be done with it all. It's so nice not to have those night sweats wake me up anymore, and to lay in bed with a pounding heart, only to wake up with anxiety and feeling depressed. I don't know why we do this to ourselves - it's truly insane.

Hang in there today and think about waking up tomorrow feeling even better. Can you mention to your sister that you've been drinking more than you want to lately and have decided to stop? It might make it easier to go over there if you had a little support. If you can't be around it, figure out a way to avoid the situation (have someone help you drop off your car and not stay?)..... Whatever is best for YOU right now, is what you should do!

Congrats on your days of sobriety!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Steve! You'll find a lot of support here..hope you keep coming back!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Welcome... Look into a medical detox. I occasionally bing on fast food and ice cream; and I feel a little hung over the next morning. Haven't done anything else in about a year. Point being, everything you put into your system is important. Vitamins and the right foods can help some withdrawl and paws symptoms. Search around this site for some great "stickies" on withdrawl and PAWS. Knowledge is power. If you feel that you are heavily chemically dependent, please get a real doctors opinion and be totally honest with him/her. Maybe try to focus on the fact that you're still young and have your whole life ahead of you... What you choose to do with it is all you!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, my sister is supportive 100% so it wasn't a problem today. I had actually contemplated on drinking a beer just to eliminate the symptoms I was having today. I would get real nauseous and light headed and have to sit down for a few minutes until I felt a little better. It was like this most of the day until, believe it or not, I ate some Mcdonalds and I felt fine lol. Not saying it's good to replace one thing with another, but I'm thinking the intense diet I started the same day I stopped drinking threw my body waayyy off so maybe a nice greasy burger was all I really needed.

But I knew if I kept drinking, I'd have to live through withdrawals over and over again. I wanted to be done with it all. It's so nice not to have those night sweats wake me up anymore, and to lay in bed with a pounding heart, only to wake up with anxiety and feeling depressed. I don't know why we do this to ourselves - it's truly insane.
That right there is pretty much why I didn't give in today because I was thinking the same thing to keep me motivated.

Well, day 5 has come to a close. Thanks for the support everyone, much appreciated. I hope to contribute as much as the folks around here do.

PS: For anyone who may even refer to this thread again a remedy for nausea is 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a glass of warm water - so far has worked good for me.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi IJ - congrats on 5 days!! You're doing great. I'm so happy your sister is behind you.

Regarding greasy burgers: I had a ravenous appetite and ordered out every night of the week for the first week (ok, maybe into the second week, too). It helped a great deal with the cravings (ever noticed when you're full, the desire to drink is alot less?). After 3 weeks I have a normal appetite again. Now I have to remind myself to eat. But when a craving comes up, I check to see how long it's been seen I've eaten anything.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Steve

D
Old 05-21-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Steve,

I noticed I was craving some junk food when I quit drinking and it helped me the first few weeks. And by 'could' I mean 'I wanted that badly'. Yes, not good to replace one thing with another, but in the long term view, a few 'burgers' (can we honestly call them that? ha) wasn't going to kill me. Continuing to drink would have. Worth it in my book! And it only took about 10,000 sit-ups to burn those suckers off...

Keep posting, welcome to SR!