How did you find a higher power?

Old 05-19-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did you find a higher power?

I'm still struggling with the idea of finding a higher power. I am agnostic--I don't know if a god/ess exists, but I don't believe in the traditional idea of God as defined by mainstream religion...so I'm still struggling.

The only thing that comes close...is this sense of peace I get when I'm cycling (I'm an avid road cyclist). When I'm cycling, all my problems seem to melt away and I feel calm, whole, and renewed. Is this my higher power?

How did you find and or / recognize a higher power to turn to when you feel down, frustrated, etc.?

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

For those with an agnostic/ athiest bent; secular ideologies could work. Ie. Any rands objectivism. Subbing "higher purpose" for higher power seems to help as well. You can also create your own god, God, or either version of a HP. As best I can figure out addicts need something to break down our own brutal focus on the self and project our energies in a healthy way onto other people or ideas that envolve big picture with our own existence a part of it. Personally, my thing is that I know that I have the ability to have a positive impact on my surroundings by choosing my own thoughts, beliefs and actions. Works for me. I'm also a roadie and have had near religious experiences on my road bike. Do you race?
Old 05-19-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HP is individual. The point of a HP is to get you out of yourself into the wider view of things. Also to bolster your sense of not being alone, and having support to get through whatever.

I personally have a strong spiritual bent. Always did. Non traditional.

I have known people to claim trees, mountains, oceans, a book, a picture, animals, people, structures etc. It isn't so much about feeling "high" or "peaceful" as it is about not doing this alone. Yours might be the sky, the road, nature, outdoors, your bike, your shoes, etc.

Peaceful is great! But coping is better.

I think there is a sticky at the top of the forums on the step work to help you figure this out.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Someone recently told me that your HP doesn't have to be "God", it can be whatever you want... love, truth, whatever.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't find my HP, I was too sick to care and too tired to look at the time.
I just cried out "help me", and suddenly He was there, holding me.

God bless
Old 05-19-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi trying...

I'm actually fascinated with this subject and I believe I am actually doing my masters thesis on the psychology of relgion.
I also do not personally adopt mainstream beliefs. But I also feel that a relationship with god or hp is that of a personal nature.

What comforts others may not comfort you and visa versa. Personally I have begun looking into spiritual connections, and I find I am drawn to traditional Buddhist philosophies.
Every day I look to build a stronger connection with myself, god, hp, the universe....I honestly feel they are one in the same for me. Once I started to really look within myself, things have begun to get easier. I personally feel that no matter what we believe, we individually are responsible for our strengths and weaknesses. We are often stronger than we give ourselves credit for.

Hugs!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was never religious, never into God or anything much for that matter. In fact, when my father died when I was 19 I completely lost faith in anything...but over the years I have seen some really wonderful people brought into my life at the right time. I also suffered with my husband through many job losses and difficulties along the way financially and through it all we found a way to get by and never lost our home or our sanity. I started to think something was watching out for us. I don't know what that something is, but if you open your mind to experiencing all that life is offering you will find that Higher Power!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Starting to search for a HP was such a struggle for me. I was completely stuck on the western religion point of view, but I had felt for so many years that that God was a mean, uncaring, distant entity. I was at such a loss about how I was supposed to trust that entity.

I read Letting Go with Love, by Julia H. and her higher power was the sea... Reading that helped me see past the western-traditional notion of God as an HP. I started research into different religions and let those help me find and redefine my HP. I've found myself recently drawn to Zen Buddism ideals as it seems to emphasize learning about the true nature of everything and oneself through meditation.

Anyway... My HP is currently a slowly evolving entity, with what I felt were the stongest, more loving characteristics of the western religion's God with a bit of Buddha, the Universe, and Nature thrown in. It's a hodge podge and possibly others can't relate to it, but I can. I can trust my HP, and that's all that matters.

I think that whatever entity/idea/concept you can trust to help you find sanity and serenity, where you can leave your wrongs, etc. can be your HP.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found a prayer/encouragement partner, started reading the bible and started listening to a Christian station music radio station and it became a pattern. Eventually is sticks. Of course my HP is God. Its amazing. I am much happier.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by theuncertainty View Post

Anyway... My HP is currently a slowly evolving entity, with what I felt were the stongest, more loving characteristics of the western religion's God with a bit of Buddha, the Universe, and Nature thrown in. It's a hodge podge and possibly others can't relate to it, but I can. I can trust my HP, and that's all that matters.
Hey, you just described MY HP! Maybe we should start our own church or something, and muck it up.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coyote21 View Post
Hey, you just described MY HP!
And here I thought I was unique. (pout) This is such a great topic and it's wonderful seeing how every one else approaches it and how open everyone is. When I started searching for my HP, I hadn't found SR yet, but probably wouldn't have had the courage to ask. (so: Thank you, Trying2Fly!!)
Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can honestly say that I didn't find him... God found me. I was borderline atheist for years... I didn't believe in God... after all the nasty stuff that happened to me as a child.... how could there be a God?

I would often throw my fist into the air and flip HP a really rude middle finger...

Then one day I went into work and had to sit next to a very chipper gal...who by the way was always freakin happy... always smiling... and it really got under my skin... she seemed so freakin fake... so I shot at her "Does anyone ever **** in your cornflakes?" She had a double take and then smiles and said "sure"...

So we ended up talking for weeks about her interpretation and understanding of God... and I slowly began to melt and understand that the God I was raised with is NOT God in the bible... Wow... can you imagine my surprise.

So I began to ask God questions... simple questions... and **poof** I'd get an answer/response via any number of people or things.... now that's freaky!

So that was almost 10 years ago and my relationship with God is stronger than ever.... indeed when there was one set of footprints... it was then that HE carried me.

God Bless You.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I started thinking about every animal, plant, organism, cell that I know and thought about how they were created. Then I tried to levitate, move things without touching them to no avail. I then thought about my family tree and realized I wasn't created by my parents (logically)and it never ended. Then I thought who would want to ruin the creation. I'm still working on some of it.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I didn't find my HP, who is God, He found me.

I was so broken, and mad, and hurt. I blamed God for every bad choice I ever made, and was non-believer my whole life. What a mistake! I thought I was invisible to Him, when all along, He was there, patient and waiting for me to cry out to Him.

I am not the same person I was before I was saved. I am truly a new creation in Christ. And it is amazing! Nothing fills up your empty places like God, and I am a walking testimony to His amazing love!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

trying,

what you spoke of when cycling....i think i get close to that when i am lost in playing a piece that is emotional, that i have mastered, on the piano. i am sort of transformed - from that anxious, often-sad, hurt person to someone who somehow has become one with a force i don't often encounter in everyday life. it's almost spiritual i think. i think it's a distraction, but it's more than that.

perhaps you can tap into your spiritual being and try to sense what is at its root. i don't think it has to be the traditional god, or even a creator. but it's something that is connected to your soul, your spirit, your essence, and connected to this world - people, the atmosphere, animals. that is certainly bigger, and more powerful than you yourself is.

when i see people who are recovering, and i know that the 12-step, or another, program helped them to become who they are today, i think, wow i want some of that. that is surely greater, bigger, more powerful than little ol me. when i acknowledge that i don't have all the answers, and that what i've been doing isn't working in my favor, i have to look to something/someone else for those answers. what is that? whatever it is, it's bigger, smarter, and more powerful than i am.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

I am inspired by the concept of HP by ElegantlyWasted. Thank you very much. I want to add my opinion here. Before quit drinking, alcohol has been our God and HP. Alcohol changed and helped our mind to soothe and get rid of our pain. But it was false. After quit drinking, we should have HP instead of alcohol. My HP is harmony with others (family, friends so on) according to ElegantlyWasted's concept.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for starting this thread Trying2Fly. I too struggle with the concept of God, HP, a supreme being, western views on religion - let me be honest, I react violently against it.

This is most probably due to the fact that I equate "Let go and let God" with my parents giving up on dealing with the alcoholic chaos I grew up in and absolving themselves of their responsibilities as parents. They warped the "we are powerless" idea to "we can't help it, it's not our fault".

It has been really reassuring to learn that others also struggle with the concept of God / HP.

This post really spoke to me - thanks ElegantlyWasted. As a non-addicted, child of an addict I can see myself in this, big time!!

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
As best I can figure out addicts need something to break down our own brutal focus on the self and project our energies in a healthy way onto other people or ideas that envolve big picture with our own existence a part of it.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was brought up an atheist. But in years I've kind of began to believe in some kind of HP. I can't tell you what it is, for the lack of better word I call it life, or maybe that's just the right word. It doesn't matter really, but I know something is outthere, some kind of cosmic balance or whatever. And I also find the closer I'm getting to my true self the more in tune I am with this balance.
I often remember scene from a movie Grand Canyon, with Danny Glover and Kevin Kline.
So Danny'e carachter is telling Kevin's how he felt at the Grand Canyon. And he said:
"And sitting there on the edge I've realised what a joke we people are"
Never been to Grand Canyon myself, but felt exactly the same sitting at the middle of Wadi Rum desert in Jordan.
So to say I came to believe there is so much more out there than we can see with our naked eye, sometimes we get to see a glimpse of it, as I did in that desert, feeling I'm surroneded with the whole universe, in which the whole humenkind history is no more than a blink of an eye. it made me humble.
So for me just being here is precious gift, and I came to believe my only duty is to live it fully, being true to myself, and putting back this positive energy I received back in that universe.
Or something like that.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
today4me

I am 42, and at age 37 found my HP at the end of a 8yr marriage. I remember attending a marriage seminar, alone. I walked up to Dr. Dobson and holding the unused ticket and said "what can I do to save my marriage". He said sit down in the morning and ask God to speak to you through His Word. Start with James. I did, was fast-tracked into recognizing the power of the Holy Spirit and have been different ever since. I've had trials still, but am better prepared to understand they will pass and growth in myself is the desired outcome.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

By letting go of my illusions of control.

peace-
b