How do you...

Old 05-19-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you...

deal with the anger and resentment? I hate feeling like this but can't seem to let it go!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I dealt with it by honestly expressing the how and why of it, and not pretending it wasn't there. Writing really helped me...
Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well, I haven't figured out how to deal with resentment. I deal with my anger & fears, through self-discovery, truth be told.

Do things that make you happy. It's amazing how much it will take your mind off the other things!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Taken from the Al Anon book, Courage to Change. "When I realized that my bitterness hurt me more than anyone else, I began to search for another way to view my situation. Maybe my alcoholic is being used to let me know that I need to get help."

"I will not allow old resentments to drag me down any longer. I am building a better and more loving life today." "Forgiving is not forgetting, it's letting go of the hurt."

To sum it up, for me, letting go of anger and resentments is a work in progress. I have to keep reminding myself of alcoholism being a disease and it is not something I can control. I do have choices and I can choose to be miserable, or I can choose to try to work through the pain. Journaling and prayer help me tremendously. I have considered counseling, so I can try to work through some more of my troubles... I haven't got there yet though.

Hang in there. Attend Al Anon meetings and read Al Anon literature, it does help. I didn't think it would, but with sticking with it for about a month now, it's starting to ease.