Notices

Day 5 of sobriety, a bad day at work. Help.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 of sobriety, a bad day at work. Help.

Hi All,

I
Just home from work: the day still churning around in my head. Feel very much like hitting the bottle. I can't do that tonight.

I used to drink a bottle of wine to deal with (i.e. block out in a black out) any work issues I might be experiencing.

How do you guys deal with stress now?

Had to vent or would drive straight to the liquor store.

Please let me know how you calm down after work/confrontations/stess these sober days?

LW
Old 05-18-2010, 12:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I put a speed bag up in my home office. After a bad day at work, I can come home and beat the crap out of it and pretty soon, the energy is pretty much burned out. I can imagine that it's the head of whoever pissed me off that day. I find hot baths and music to be helpful too. Writing down a list of things I'm thankful for helps a lot. Coming here helps a whole lot!!!! Best of luck to you!!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety saved my life.

I don't really know yet either cause i'm on day six, just wanted to let you know someone is out there listening. But when my wife and I got into an argument on my day three I was full of make it go away steam and I didn't know what to do so I just came here and started reading. There were a lot of posts about people with serious medical problems that day and it really made me think that if I kept running to the alcohol, that I would be wishing for a fight with my wife instead of the alternative and that it's not worth trading my life for. I calmed down and we made up shortly after and I really would of regreted wasting the three days sober that I had acomplished which is a big deal for me. Also, other times when I have had cravings I read my original post and it takes me back to that dark place and the reasons that I wanted to do this in the first place. I read a lot of posts to remind me. I hope that this helps. Don't go back just keep reading and posting. Flip.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a hard thing to master for us in the beginning because we're so used to the instant gratification of the bottle.

Things like exercise, or music, or relaxation tapes, or meditation...even reading and posting here or watching a funny movie, relaxing with the family...whatever we use...they work just as well I've found - they just need maybe a little more input from us

D
Old 05-18-2010, 12:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Idiot!

FOOD!!

I love my food so when the urge is there I scoff lots of good stodgy stuff I usually try to avoid. Lots of fizzy drinks as well. Usually takes the edge off as I am stuffed and quenched.

Thankfully it's not every day so weight not an issue yet.

I like to walk also and a good power walk gets rid of the old adrenaline.

Also doing what you did - posting on here.

Stu
Old 05-18-2010, 01:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

A mega-hot bath it is, with a book. Lots of food and reading through SR.

Thank you for your excellent advice.

Was very on edge, and I guess it won't be the last time...but I definitely don't want to feel another DAY 1. No way.

LW
Old 05-18-2010, 02:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

''I have told you these things so that you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart I have overcome the world''
John 16 v 33
Perseverance, persistance, courage , those are the anchors we should grab hold of in the storms of life.

Even in the worst storm GOD has supplied a lifebelt: FAITH!

Even though hope may be very slight, it grows during each period of testing, until by the grace of GOD, it becomes strong and muscular!

Are u feeling overwhelmed by circumstances, feelings of restlessness and insecurity, do not fight against these things in your own strength. Just lay your life in GOD's omnipotent saving hands.

This will give you peace in the storm and peace creates power which is the starting point of courage and perseverance. Perseverance is strong, but calm.

Gradually we will learn to accept our circumstances, rather than rebelling, we discover new strength within ourselves.

Faith can be used as a bridge: faith in life itself: in yourself and especially in GOD.

Decisiveness is a fruit of faith and it ignites the fire of perseverance and courage. Then u start living on victory ground!

Faithful Companion, we thank you that in the dark days of confusion, sorrow and doubt, YOU are always there to encourage us. Amen
Old 05-18-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by littlewheel2 View Post
Was very on edge, and I guess it won't be the last time...but I definitely don't want to feel another DAY 1. No way.
LW
I have most definitely been extra stressed out during these first couple weeks, even over little things. For what I've read about withdrawal/PAWS, it's normal to feel irritable, depressed, confused, anxious, etc., even after the first withdrawal period. If we have stress in our lives, it only increases the symptoms. I know that I'm feeling some of those things, so I'm trying to let stuff go that I don't have to do. Trying to pamper myself a little where I usually take on too much. I don't think I did much of anything at all (including work) for the first 4 or 5 days. I find that my drive is coming back though (slowly but surely).

Hang in there!!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I filled my evenings with going to the gym and walking fast on a treadmill.. every single night. It ate up my time, and exhausted me..but worked WONDERS in relieving anxiety and stress, and replacing my drinking time with something else.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

and I am not trying to personally attack anyone here.....but I am SO MUCH an atheist, (I don't just say I am an atheist to be "cool" or whatever.....), that these kinds of responses actually push me to SHUT DOWN EVEN MORE.......

I just had to write something....I am back at it again.....drinking until I get sick, (which is now having 6 beers.....) despite my HATING EVERY SECOND I am drinking....I still do because NOT DOING SO hurts worse.....but GOD? REALLY? No such thing...for really real....in MY life, anyways.....and so when I read these kinds of responses....even knowing they are meant for another.....I realize there is NO hope for me if believing in some magical being is the ONLY way to sobriety....and my emptiness is pretty echoing.....I don't have a family who even gives a flying F.... that I am still breathing...much less that I am still drinking...(even though I no longer drink to black outs and no longer get to drink daily..just on those 3 days i am off from work when my husband works....)..anyhow......I am rambling and once again....who cares about an old crabby atheist drunk.......
Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

To the OP: part of the solution is that that the further you get from your last drink, the less agitation there is in your nervous system. That is, there is less stress to deal with, whatever the external circumstances.

To Cornczech: Not drinking one day at a time works the same for atheists as for theists, I'm told. So does drinking alcoholically, which among other things builds anxiety and anger, suffering in many forms. AA is loaded with atheists. former atheists, agnostics, taoists, whatever. It's not a problem.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes...you're correct...Not drinking one day at a time is not reliant upon a belief system......but I was abused with the name of "god" on the lips pf the abuser...so i REALLY shut down when the convo turns in ANY WAY towards some magical being....anyhow....today was not my day of NOT drinking....

I am moving into a beautiful place by the lake in two weeks....I am hoping to use THIS as a catalyst.....my drinking hasn't worsened, at least....just the same 4 to 6 on about 4 days of 7....(I used to drink daily until I passed out...so I am much better than a year ago....just not alcohol free yet...)

ANYHOW....I just had to mention my COMPLETE dislike of speaking about some magical deity's hand in someone's sobriety......This will not happen to me...so I have to do this the "hard" way...and work through my internal issues alone and without some magical fairy's help.....sorry...don't mean to seem so negative...just is what it is....(and I've already had a few....physical pain makes it easier to say YES to the beer......)
Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I wish you the very best.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for those wishes....
Old 05-18-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here at SR we ask everyone be tolerant of other peoples beliefs - that works both ways, and it works pretty well.

It's all pretty off topic here anyway.

I got sober without invoking the name of God once, Cornczech - although I changed my views later, it's entirely possible to do what I did.

Good luck to you

D
Old 05-19-2010, 03:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Here at SR we ask everyone be tolerant of other peoples beliefs - that works both ways, and it works pretty well.

It's all pretty off topic here anyway.

I got sober without invoking the name of God once, Cornczech - although I changed my views later, it's entirely possible to do what I did.

Good luck to you

D
Thanks Dee. Cornczech, alcohol is a depressant, somewhere inside of u is a beautiful person just waiting to be loved and see a bright new world, i sincerely hope when u move, u are going to see just how awesome and precious life is. There is a cloud out there with a silver lining. ps. I care about you and im sure u will find just how many more do too! (((HUGS)))
Old 05-19-2010, 03:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I usually now come home and walk my dog and then do cleaning. Sometimes play a video game (release frustration) or turn up some music. It is not an overnight thing but I am learning through my clear mind in sobriety that some things just aren't worth it.

Focus on your sobriety and how far you have come and let the crap at work go. Going to the gym or mediating are other great ways to relieve stress.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to get some stress management counseling or do some searching on the web.

When all fails never forget that SR is here and man have I unloaded the drama in my life here when I feel I just can't deal.

Hang on my friend......it gets better and kudo on 5 days.