He went to treatment

Old 05-17-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He went to treatment

So today i believe my brother finally had enough of this life, the last 3 weeks hes been working a new job and every friday hes been spending almost every cent on heroin, he has been detoxing the last 3 days himself with the help of suboxne, he called me around 1pm and told me HE made a call to a treatment center and he had to be there by 8pm! He finally did it on his own, didnt ask anyone to look for numbers make calls Nothing!! So my step father picked him up when he was done with work and took him there, he is there now, they have a 30 day program after the detox that he wants to go too, he has been there once before and stayed clean 17 months.....im very happy and proud he finally realized he couldnt do it on his own and made the calls to get himself some help!! So, now in the morning i have to call his boss to explain why he isnt going to be there, and hope he has a job when he comes out. He did say he feels like this job is too much on his right now and may try to find something part time or a little less stressful, but He is there and now i can sleep peacefully tonight! Keep praying for him!!! Thanks everyone
Old 05-17-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is so awesome to hear and thanks for sharing. When my son finally went to rehab it was the most peaceful I had felt in about four years. At least I knew where he was, he was safe and I didn't have to worry that more things would disappear from our house. Definitely a reason to celebrate.

I will keep him in my prayers. You can be assured that I pray for every addict and their loved one every day!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Nichole, I'm so happy for your brother and for you. The fact that he's stayed clean for 17months before is so promising. At least it seems that way to me. I truly do hope and pray that this is the time that he gets it and stays clean forever.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I needed to hear that.. i keep thinking my AD is so helpless. She too can pick up a phone and ask for help. Your brother now has the dignity of being responsible for his own recovery. Conrats!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

happy that you can rest your full and spinning mind for awhile, nichole.

have you attended al-anon?

if someone eats emotionally, and overeats chocolate cake, most would agree that just taking away the chocolate cake isn't enough for their mental health. they need to seek out the answers of WHY they turned to the cake in the first place.

i wish you the best in your own recovery.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep us posted. This is great news. Best of luck!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

coffee....I get what you mean about the cake,,,,,,,,i eat emotionally and have NO idea why!! And he is an addict and he has to figure out why?? I think that is what you are meaning.....hes gotta figure out what triggers him to use and why?? He got to call my mother this morning and he told her hes happy he is there........we shall see what happens
Old 05-18-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I feel your relief too and will keep your brother in my prayers.

I don't know where he works, but in Canada some companies cover rehab under sick benefits or will at least hold the job, if the person wants the job held. Excluded are people who are fired for drug use.

Worth checking.

Hugs
Old 05-18-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

His boss told him to give him a call when he is done with his treatment, his boss has been there too so he understood
Old 05-18-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

nichole

you're right about your bro discovering his triggers, the source of his pain, the underlying issues that feed into him going back to self-destructive behaviors.

but...
i was talking about you.