Notices

Here we go! Time to quit - supplement advice?

Old 05-16-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Here we go! Time to quit - supplement advice?

New to the forum, and wow am I glad I found it!

I have been a heavy drinker for most of my life. Yes, 42 years of it. Presently I am drinking about 12-15 beers a night. And it is time to stop this nonsense. I WANT to quit. Have thought about it before, but now I want to for myself, and also for someone important in my life as well. I know I can do it, and know I don't need it. Nor do I want it.

So, my problem I am facing after 4 days of quitting is I know I have depleted my body of nutrients etc. over the years.

Any suggestions on any supplements I can take that my body may need? At my low point I was eating one semi-nutritious meal a day. I have to correct that.

Also, I have this damn buzzing in my head that will not go away. Almost like your ears ringing but not so bad? Does that go away after time? It is annoying but tolerable. I guess I have not been sober for so many years that I forget what it is like to be normal.

Also, I have slight tremors. Not shaking, but very slight tremors like when I reach out to pick something up I shake a bit. Does that go away after time?

And I am sure going to appreciate being around people with similar problems. There is nobody I can relate to so this place is going to help out a lot as I am going to be going through a lot of changes. But am very excited and positive!

Thanks for any advice!

Oh, I am 42, male, have an above average lifestyle and an incredible ability to hide a very bad problem. I know why I drink and am changing that as well.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi djb67

First things first, visit your doctor. Staring out with a good multivitamin & a B compound. Milk Thistle is also good for your liver.

Glad to have you with us
Old 05-16-2010, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!

You've come to a great site to find all the info and support you need.

I read the book '7 weeks to sobriety' and got a lot of info regarding vitamins and supplements. They are helping me enormously.

I take a multi vit, B complex, and a few others that seem to help me some. I'm sure you'll get a lot more advice soon.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi djb67

We're careful here with medical advice - even down to over the counter stuff. What's right for someone may not be for someone else.

The best thing you can do is see your doctor and discuss it with them.
I got a referral to a nutritionist too.

As for personal experience, a good multivitamin is all I used

D
Old 05-17-2010, 01:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can only offer personal experience, since I'm nowhere near a doctor.

Having said that ... Thiamin, B Complex, B 12, a good multi-vitamin, milk thistle, aggressive use of electrolyte replacement (Gatorade - and lots of it). I did all of this with my latest withdrawal. Previously I did nothing, and my withdrawals lasted 14 ++ days. With these supplements I managed to kick the worst part within one week.

Like Dee says, you should definitely get a proper medical opinion in case you have any special circumstances that could preclude using these supplements. At any rate, congratulations on getting sober!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dunno about the supplement thing never took any, tbh i was more concerned with how the hell i was going to stay stopped after so many tries before...i had just gone to AA and asked to get a sponsor by the 4th day, that gave me plenty to think about:-)