Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

That Doggie in The Window, a tale of paradigms and our children's only childhood

That Doggie in The Window, a tale of paradigms and our children's only childhood

Old 05-15-2010, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

There once was a loving momma who had a child she loved, more than anything. She wanted to do the best for her child, to provide the things that mattered most to her child.

One year, for the child's birthday, she planned a really special party, for the child to have wonderful memories to look back upon. The highlight of the party she planned was to buy the child a puppy she knew her child would just love. She knew exactly what she wanted: a small white puppy with short hair, spots, curly tail and ears that tipped at the corners.

On the day of the party, she stole off to the village pet store. The store had a huge plate glass window up front for display, with a variety of puppies behind the glass, playing happily. Behind the glass, taped to the window, was a sign: Puppies available. On the sign was a picture of the VERY PUPPY SHE WANTED: a small white puppy with short hair, curly tail and ears that tipped at the corners. That puppy was all she ever wanted, and absolutely perfect in every way.

She went into the store and inquired of the proprietor: "I want that puppy pictured in the sign, and I need it today because my child's party is today and this is the PERFECT puppy for my child!"

The kindly proprietor replied, "I do not have that puppy, miss. The ones I have are in the window box, playing. They are all cute, healthy, and will love your family. Your child will learn to love a puppy, what a terrific gift!!"

The woman replied, "But, isn't the one in the picture a REAL puppy?"

The proprietor replied, "Miss, yes, that is a PICTURE of a REAL puppy. That actual puppy did exist at one time, and when that picture was taken it was real and exactly like shown in the picture. But the fact remains that I do not have that puppy here today for you to get. That picture was taken a while ago, and that puppy went on to become something else, and is not available here, nor is it any longer the same as shown in the picture, should you possibly be able to hunt it down, somewhere," he replied. "What I do have is these wonderful puppies in the window. Each is unique and each will offer your child a childhood of memories: feeding time, walks outdoors, romps with balls and sticks, times curled up together on the couch or bed."

The woman couldn't let go of wanting THAT puppy in the picture, because it was the EXACT puppy she knew would be perfect for her child. It was the one they had talked about, described, dreamt about, and planned for.

There are two basic endings to my tale.

In one, the woman insists on finding the puppy in the picture. She wanders the countryside, feverishly searching for the puppy she has PROOF existed, sure if she just searches one more village, she will find it. She is so bent on that puppy, she misses her child's party altogether. She maybe finds what became of that puppy, but it's not at all what was in the picture and never will be.

Ten years later, her child remembers back sadly to the party, and how momma missed it, came home empty, and they went on to live without a puppy.

In the other, the woman decides to examine the puppies in the window box. She finds one not at all like the one in the picture, but the puppy she finds has really cute fuzzy hair, adorable eyes with one blue and one brown, and funny ears that stick straight up like little towers, balanced on the other end by a stubby little nub of a tail. She thinks long and hard. This is NOT the puppy she had wanted for her child, nor the one they thought about and described and KNEW would be PERFECT. But, this puppy can go home, and be ours, she thinks.

She takes a chance and chooses the real puppy. She gets a few things at the pet store, bundles them up, puts them in a large open box with a bow, and carts them home in the back of her auto, to arrive at the party just in time.

The party is a huge success, and even when she presents the piece-de-resistance, the puppy, her child takes one look, says, "Mommy! What a different puppy than we had wanted! It's not at all like we imagined, is it?"

The child is examining the puppy, looking at the differences from what they had originally discussed. As the child is looking at those funny, pricky ears, the puppy bites the child's nose and licks the child's face, and the child decides this puppy is a great thing, even if it's not THE ONE.

Ten years later, the child looks back at childhood memories. The child remembers VIVIDLY the original puppy and all their discussions and dreams, and even the feelings of want - the child NEVER forgot that puppy of dreams. But by now the child has ten years of memories of the ACTUAL puppy: years of funny antics and experiences that made the child's childhood wonderful and full or rich memories and happiness. The now grown child looks back upon childhood with fondness and fulfillment.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for that wonderful lesson about ACCEPTANCE. What a gift!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this. You have given me a lot to think about today.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks!!!
You made me cry.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes we need to tailor our dreams to what we actually have to work with, or we risk missing out completely, as did the mum in the 1st ending of this story.

God bless
Old 05-15-2010, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thank you for posting this !
Old 05-15-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
oh my gosh, funny story....when renee was little, thinking maybe her 5th BD??? which is in Feb, i decided i wanted to get her a cat. (ok so maybe i wanted a cat, and it was super handy that she had a birthday???). so i sent my bf of the time out in search of a kitty.....february isn't a real good month for kittens, and we had snow on the ground - i was working at the time and he was on lay off - so off he'd go and then report back....i'd say where's the cat???? and he'd tell me well they only had 3 or some such. and i'd say, well get back out there dammit!!! and off he'd go back out in the snow....

he told me about this one really nice kitty, but it was about $40....and i'm thinking, $40 for a CAT? nice sleek black kitty....but i wasn't exactly rolling in dough at the time, and just could not afford 40 bucks for one animal. so, with a big heavy sigh i said, fine, screw it, no cat. fortunately i hadn't said anything TO my daughter.....

her birthday arrives. i have a nice little cat-free party etc. then my mom comes over. with a box. with a handle on it. and what do you suppose was IN the box? the $40 sleek black kitty!!!!

do you know i was actually UPSET with my mom at first for not consulting with me BEFORE getting the cat???? anyway, renee loved her cat....joe. joe kitty. we had him til she'd gone off to college. best cat ever.
Been sitting here reading in "logged out" mode, computer crashed last night during cool thunder storm. Just had to log in to thank you for a great story.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cute story! We often hang on so long "for the kids" when what we're really doing is letting their childhood whiz by while we're preoccupied with a situation that will never change.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's a very good parable. :-)
Old 05-15-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by wanting View Post
Cute story! We often hang on so long "for the kids" when what we're really doing is letting their childhood whiz by while we're preoccupied with a situation that will never change.
That's EXACTLY what I did, was drinking plenty myself. But in retrospect, I'm sure I did far more damage to LMC by neglecting her needs, while I wildly attempted to control her mom's drinking. To NO avail I might add.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
oh my gosh, funny story....when renee was little, thinking maybe her 5th BD??? which is in Feb, i decided i wanted to get her a cat. (ok so maybe i wanted a cat, and it was super handy that she had a birthday???). so i sent my bf of the time out in search of a kitty.....february isn't a real good month for kittens, and we had snow on the ground - i was working at the time and he was on lay off - so off he'd go and then report back....i'd say where's the cat???? and he'd tell me well they only had 3 or some such. and i'd say, well get back out there dammit!!! and off he'd go back out in the snow....

he told me about this one really nice kitty, but it was about $40....and i'm thinking, $40 for a CAT? nice sleek black kitty....but i wasn't exactly rolling in dough at the time, and just could not afford 40 bucks for one animal. so, with a big heavy sigh i said, fine, screw it, no cat. fortunately i hadn't said anything TO my daughter.....

her birthday arrives. i have a nice little cat-free party etc. then my mom comes over. with a box. with a handle on it. and what do you suppose was IN the box? the $40 sleek black kitty!!!!

do you know i was actually UPSET with my mom at first for not consulting with me BEFORE getting the cat???? anyway, renee loved her cat....joe. joe kitty. we had him til she'd gone off to college. best cat ever.
Dang, Anvil, you had me gut-laughing out loud at the first paragraph there! (Poor, dismayed boyfriend! - "... get back out there, dammit!!" :rotfxko) And I'm NOT a laugh-y type, but you ARE a funny writer. That is a funny tale (pun). I'm glad you're pursuing your writing, because you have such a natural and lively "voice."

CLMI
Old 05-15-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlovermi View Post
Dang, Anvil, you had me gut-laughing out loud at the first paragraph there! (Poor, dismayed boyfriend! - "... get back out there, dammit!!" :rotfxko) And I'm NOT a laugh-y type, but you ARE a funny writer. That is a funny tale (pun). I'm glad you're pursuing your writing, because you have such a natural and lively "voice."

CLMI
Great writer indeed... always love reading Anvil's posts and stories.... she definitely has a wonderful way with storytelling... can hardly wait for her first novel
Old 05-15-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
gmc

What a great post! In addition to understanding the lesson on acceptance, it reminded me that being present for my daughter is what matters.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I also loved the kitty story, anvil! I didn't know you were writing, but that sure makes sense!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

oh, catlover, your story had me crying too.

crying for all that time spent searching for something i wasn't going to find. it feels like such loss when you think it's the only puppy you can really love, even though your experiences should have taught you that there are many puppies to play with, cherish, and love in your life.