Something good about your day

Old 05-13-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something good about your day

I used to attend a group for the family members of alcoholics and one of the things that the psychologist running the group used to always get us to do was to detail something nice that had happened to us in the preceding week. Something that had nothing to do with alcoholism. I thought it might be an idea for people to post up a nice thing that has happened to them whenever something makes them feel positive as a little reminder that even in tough times life isn't always gloomy. It can be big life changing happiness or just a silly little thing that made you feel happy and good for two minutes.

I'll kick off. Today I was walking my dogs in our usual wooded area. I was walking up on a high path near a park when almost lost in the trees I saw an A frame. I went over for a closer look and saw it was a set of Roman Rings. I checked them out to see if they were sturdy and decided to give them a go. Not feeling hopeful I grabbed each ring and lifted myself up. Before I knew it I was hanging upside-down from the rings. I held steady and lifted my legs out straight and brought them in line with the chains. I held for about 20 secs and then I brought my legs over my head and turned the full 360º back onto my feet. Elated I stretched my arms a bit grabbed on again and turned myself back upside-down. This time I messed about with my legs, holding them up in different ways and moving slowly so I was using my strength rather than momentum. When I brought them back into line with the chains I started swinging myself while upside-down. Afterwards I swung my whole body around to complete the circle again.

I'm so pleased with myself. I'm 31 and out of shape but I can swing around on those rings like I could when I was a kid in gymnastics classes. I won't be winning any Olympics medals any time soon but it was a great confidence boost and stress reliever. And now that I've found the rings I can use them whenever I want.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That made me smile.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a great story!!! Thanks for sharing
Old 05-13-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That definitely made me smile too!

And I'll add my little "something good..." tidbit... This might sound a bit odd.

Last week I went to a program at my daughters school, along with my husband. As we walked through the parking lot toward the entrance a woman happened to be walking ahead of us. Well the breeze must have been just right because her perfume smelled sooo good. I can't describe it... washed over me and I was like "YUM!".

The auditorium was packed... and as we were exiting after the program (shuffling along inch by inch) I got a wiff of the perfume again. The lady was in front of us, yet again. (Let me add, it was NOT an overwhelming scent.. .it's not like I could taste it...you know how that is).

Ok.. I'm rambling... So since I smell her perfume again and she was right there I said "You smell REALLY good." The look of surprise and sincere appreciation on her face was so.... sweet. She thanked me shyly.... and I said "No, I'm serious.. you smell REALLY good!" Her face brightened even more and she said "thanks!" again... Then after a few yards she turns back toward me and says "You've just made my day."

Now I know this is such a simple exchange of words but I really think that lady was having a horrible day.. she must have been. I was so glad that my little comment did so much for her. Since then I really try to compliment people... sincerely. (My husband doesn't understand how I can talk to anybody and everybody.... but there are amazing people out there, who love to share ... as most of you know!!)

Sooo.. that's my little ditty... I'm glad I made someone so happy not even realizing how such a little jesture was going to make her feel.