Accepting the inevitable?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

Accepting the inevitable?

I have a facebook page, and I belong to the app "what God wants you to know". I love that app, see my daily "messages from God". They are usually my daily inspirations, but this one is unclear to me. I was hoping you all could share your take on it, cause I can't see how "surrender" is the answer, then what????? Example: I am seeking custody of my two granddaughters. Court is not pleased that my H is in recovery (so far), I'm not getting custody at the moment, but their mom keeps relapsing. Next court date is in 2 weeks. Alot can happen between now and then, RAH could relapse, mother could totally disappear, etc. How would "surrendering" be the answer?

Here is the message: "Today God wants you to know that inevitable is best accepted with serenity. There are times when you absolutely see no solution. When you've thought and thought and prayed and prayed; when you've sat still in meditation listening for an answer and still no answer comes. There are times when it's okay to just surrender."

Your opinions, please .... thanks.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am a born again believer. I believe what that is saying is that when all that WE have tried to do has not helped the situation, when we have given up, that's when God is saying, "Let ME handle it." Faith is all about believing that there is a God and that HE has everything in control. IF you let Him. He is a loving God, but He won't push Himself on anyone. When you are ready to release ALL you problems to Him, that's when you'll see Him moving in your life. That's surrender. Letting God handle it, and no taking it back. When you leave your problems at His feet, walk away and know that HE is God, and will work in the situation in His timing.
Hope that helps you, God Bless, H
Old 05-13-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The message you received seems really to resonate with the first section of the serenity prayer, i.e. "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...".

I think even the word "inevitable" seems to suggest a sense of control that we have lost, as if the outcome of a situation isn't to our liking and we've fought and fought against it with all our might. I find that this is a dangerous line of thinking, and I've been guilty of it in the very recent past, when I went to court to obtain custody of my little girl, and it made me unnecessarily stressed. I kept freaking out that my AH would show up all lawyered up and give me a huge fight, wondering what I'd do if he did, wondering how I'd handle shared custody with an alcoholic....the answer is: I would have just dealt with it and found a positive spin to the situation. There's really no other option.

In the end, it was a shift in reasoning when standing at the edge of the precipice that got me to realize that I'd just have to "bend like a reed in the wind". What happens will happen and it will happen for a reason.

In your case, the only thing left is to do everything you can think of to safeguard your grand-daughters, and then, to the grace of god. Whatever happens--RAH relapsing, AD disappearing, you'll compose with it, with your grand-daughter's best interests at heart.