Notices

Question

Old 05-12-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bob

Question

Just a quick one, as opposed to my other first post.

When all of you first quit, did you admit the extent of your addiction?

In other words, when my friends who can drink their 2-6 beers while out and go home without drinking another drop, ask me why I'm not having just one beer, do I tell them the extent of my addiction? The fact that I've been drinking at least 9 beers a day for at least 5-6 days a week for years?

I suspect that admitting how big my addiction is may actually enable them to assist me. I don't expect, or even want them to quit drinking, because I doubt they have an issue, at least not nearly as extreme as mine.

Bob
Old 05-12-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bob

I did...but my drinking had progressed to the point where I was the neighbourhood drunk, so everyone knew anyway.

Nevertheless I told everyone - it was a weight off me and it ensured I had no bolt holes to run to if I weakened...

But many others here feel it's noone else's business, and I must admit I find myself in that camp these days.

Tell as much or as little as you feel comfortable with

D
Old 05-12-2010, 09:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Bob,

This is really a personal decision. I think it depends on how close you guys are. If they will be able to support you in your recovery, all the better. Going from drinking nearly every day to not at all will be obvious to them, of course.

For me, I had to not be around people and places where any drinking was going on in the beginning. The temptation was too great and the stinkin thinkin that I could control my drinking since I had abstained for a week or a month, gave me a false sense of security.

Support is crucial to recovery. But, sometimes (not always and not with all people) admitting that we stopped drinking conjurs up all kinds of images - that we might become preachy; thou shalt not and you shalt not either, etc. - and people sometimes don't know how to anticipate any kind of change in us, even friends.

It really does depend on how well you know them and whether they will be there to support you or not. It is your business and your recovery.

We're certainly here for you, Bob.