Notices

New here

Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to have found this site. I'm set on quitting drinking and smoking, I'm looking for support and folks who can relate. I stopped drinking for three weeks and cut down a lot on smoking, I've never felt better. I hate drinking and have no desire for it, however I know due to stress I might falter. Fortunately my neurosis about my health has been keeping me at bay and I am throughly enjoying the natural high I'm on. I forgot what it felt like to be able to breathe normally, have normal blood pressure, clarity...Thank you so much for hearing me out.

RMK3
Old 05-12-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome RMK and I'm glad you're doing so well!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome RMK and I'm glad you're doing so well!
Thanks Anna! Personally I prayed and got a lot of strength through that. Some people call it self healing, I feel it's a higher spirit. I've had a lot of stress, never truly mourned for people I lost, a child with special needs who I adore but trying to recover...The "escape" wasn't working anymore evidently it makes things worse and wears on your health and well being. I still need strength though and am very glad to have found this group!!! Knowing me I can slip thinking I regained my health a few drinks wont hurt...I normally would drink once a week but a lot, therefore I always knew I had a drinking problem. Again, thanks for the welcome!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

RMK, glad to have you. I look forward to hearing more about your journey into recovery
Old 05-12-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewBeginning010 View Post
RMK, glad to have you. I look forward to hearing more about your journey into recovery
Thank you NewBeginning, and I'm looking forward to learning from others here and their journeys!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You'll find a great deal of support here, RMK. I knew I couldn't get/stay sober without some support either, and I "somehow" found this website. (It's like that saying "When the student is ready, the teacher appears!")

Welcome and congratulations on making your decision!!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
You'll find a great deal of support here, RMK. I knew I couldn't get/stay sober without some support either, and I "somehow" found this website. (It's like that saying "When the student is ready, the teacher appears!")

Welcome and congratulations on making your decision!!
Thanks Artsoul and for the warm welcome!!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome RM3K. In addition to giving up alcohol a few weeks ago, I gave up smokeless tobacco several months ago. I know it can be difficult. Matter of changing routines and habits. You will find a lot of support here.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Welcome RM3K. In addition to giving up alcohol a few weeks ago, I gave up smokeless tobacco several months ago. I know it can be difficult. Matter of changing routines and habits. You will find a lot of support here.
That's great Ghostly!! Thanks for the welcome, I've been through the boards and it seems very supportive here, I know I'll need it too when the time comes.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR RMK3! You are no longer new because you now have 7 posts under your belt.

Seriously, you can do this and you might just want to list all the things alcohol brings to the table. I mean the good, the bad, and the ugly. I think you will see there are seriously more on the negative side. I made a list like that and still refer to it once in awhile.

It doesn't make life easier. It isn't your friend. It doesn't make you prettier or smarter, although you may feel both when you drink. It certainly doesn't add years to your life either.

That's kind of a bit of my list.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR RMK3,

Sorry about your lost RMK, it does bring a lot of stress into your life, like you i lost my brother in law with special needs to cancer early in my recovery. He was my best friend and i was so lost with out him, I'm just so glad I was with him by his side the day he passed away and I was sober and still sober with 14+ months, it can be done.

There is lot's of wisdom on these boards and a lots of good folks here and has been a lifeline to me the day I found SR, I personally read a lot on SR to gain strength from others here.

Early in my recovery I read everything I can get my hands on about Alcoholism, knowledge helps me stay sober, there a good book I read and recommend it "Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketchan, it explained to me why my brain and body no longer processed Alcohol correctly.

Again Welcome and glad you're here.

Road
Old 05-14-2010, 05:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Welcome to SR RMK3! You are no longer new because you now have 7 posts under your belt.

Seriously, you can do this and you might just want to list all the things alcohol brings to the table. I mean the good, the bad, and the ugly. I think you will see there are seriously more on the negative side. I made a list like that and still refer to it once in awhile.

It doesn't make life easier. It isn't your friend. It doesn't make you prettier or smarter, although you may feel both when you drink. It certainly doesn't add years to your life either.

That's kind of a bit of my list.
Thanks for the encouragment Horselover!

Great idea, here's my list, I'm going to add an modify it later.

What's good about it?
1) It was an escape and stress reliever (so I thought!)
2) It relieved depression, temporarily at least.

What have I always hated about it.
1) The obvious, feeling lousy the following days.

Why do I hate it now.
1) Self defeating, it's part of the cause of 'more' anxiety attacks where before it somewhat helped, so I thought, haha!
2) I felt almost chronically unwell, but I didn't always know it considering how active I can be. It's when I stopped alcohol and cut down a lot smoking these 3 weeks I realise quite a difference. By the time I'd recover which is about a week, I'd start all over again..
3) I've gotten shakes (unlike before), heart palputations, nearly persistent breathing problems, nervousness, lack of concentration.. I thought those symptoms were a result of the low glycemic diet I was on.Smoking is synonymous which made it worse. Some people may not realize it but smoking seriously can impede oxygen so you're not truly "yourself" in another aspect. These toxins/chemicals were causing some sensory disturbances, also I was cold often. To get the normal "feel" of my body and starting to regain my health is the best feeling!

What am I afraid of? Although I don't desire and think of alcohol often, there are fleeting moments where I do. I fear that the better and healthier I get is when I'll relapse, having just a few.. despite knowing that doesn't work! It's baffling since I come to distain it, and yet it can be so difficult at times. Well one day at a time..I'm thankful I found this site!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank so much Road! I'm so sorry for your loss. I've had losses due to cancer and it's taken a toll. I didn't mourn properly which was a part of the problem. Family, although well meaning sometimes don't have a clue, I've found much more support and made close friends through groups like this. It was a godsend when I needed support and help for my child's condition. I also believe that there's a change in how alcohol affects my brain and body compared to before, not that it was good thing back then though! "The Influence" seems interesting, maybe I'll check it out on Amazon if it's available. Thanks again, and it's great to be here

Originally Posted by Roadr440 View Post
Welcome to SR RMK3,

Sorry about your lost RMK, it does bring a lot of stress into your life, like you i lost my brother in law with special needs to cancer early in my recovery. He was my best friend and i was so lost with out him, I'm just so glad I was with him by his side the day he passed away and I was sober and still sober with 14+ months, it can be done.

There is lot's of wisdom on these boards and a lots of good folks here and has been a lifeline to me the day I found SR, I personally read a lot on SR to gain strength from others here.

Early in my recovery I read everything I can get my hands on about Alcoholism, knowledge helps me stay sober, there a good book I read and recommend it "Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketchan, it explained to me why my brain and body no longer processed Alcohol correctly.

Again Welcome and glad you're here.

Road
Old 05-14-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I like your list RMK - I think I'll have to make one too. It's crazy that we would even need to remind ourselves of how miserable we became, but we do. I've looked through hundreds of old posts at SR to keep it fresh in my mind.

Sounds like you're doing good. Once I get a little sobriety, I'd like to stop smoking too. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-15-2010, 04:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
I like your list RMK - I think I'll have to make one too. It's crazy that we would even need to remind ourselves of how miserable we became, but we do. I've looked through hundreds of old posts at SR to keep it fresh in my mind.

Sounds like you're doing good. Once I get a little sobriety, I'd like to stop smoking too. Keep up the good work!

Hi artsoul, yes it is crazy we have to remind ourselves how miserable we became! For me, I was able to understand other peoples situations much better than my own. In other cases I read where people dropped or completely stopped medications due to change of lifestyle. Everything is balance, I applied that to my child's dx and recovery for the most part was the end result. I also learned not take all doctors advice regarding certain matters, in particular, who say, there's no hope, no recovery/cure.. Regardless of anything, years back I began a change of diet and adding supplements, it truly helped, but later on I couldn't factor the obvious, which is to stop alcohol!! Denial. I think in part, it's because other things like hard liquor or any drug I've tried in my youth, even certain cold medicines, I avoid at all costs because of adverse reactions from the get go. Contrarily alcohol was a 'fix', and I abused it on and off to extremes, years later evidently I developed health problems because of it. Again, denial that alcohol was the cause of these health problems and other things, it had to be something else..Very thankfully I see the light and now I have to try to recover from it. Like you art, reading through this site helps as well, thank you for all your support. I hope any insight I share through my personal experience can also help others. Looks like you're also doing very well yourself, congrats!!