Notices

Hello folks

Old 05-12-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello folks

Hi,
Just a quick intro - I'm late forties, male, drinking heavily for over 25 years, what you might call a highly functioning alcoholic. I had a great marriage with lovely kids, high-powered job, loads of hobbies and interests, but now the marriage and the job are gone, although the kids are still lovely and still there, thank God.
I have never had a problem admitting that I am an alcoholic, but didn't realize how much it was changing me. Now I have been sober over a month and I am seeing myself clearly for the first time in years.
I am living overseas and can't meet other people in recovery, so when I found this forum, which seems very helpful and friendly, I jumped at the chance to join. I look forward to getting to know some of you and I hope not only to benefit, but give something back one day, who knows?
Regards,
BarmyArmy (Barmy is fine for short)
Old 05-12-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on becoming sober. One month is a great accomplishment and it does start to clear your head so you can examine what in your life doesn't work. I agree with that.

Good to see a new member and you sure can help others by sticking around.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Barmy,

Welcome!

I was really shocked by how much my alcoholic thinking and addict mind had affected my thinking. Like you, it was only after stopping drinking, that I realized how much the alcohol had changed me.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

to SR, stay close & keep sharing. It works if you work it!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Barmy. I'm so sorry for the losses you've had in your life, but thankfully you've seen the light & are getting well. Some never reach that point. I never believed people when they told me how much drinking changed my personality. In my own mind I was just fine. I can never risk being so out of control again.

I'm glad you're with us, keep us informed on how you're doing. One month is great!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Barmy

One month is good stuff

I agree - I didn't realise just how much I'd changed until I got sober and could look back. Very sobering thought (pun not intended)

You'll find a lot of support here - looking forward to seeing you around
D