Notices

One tenth of a decade today!

Old 05-11-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking One tenth of a decade today!

One year ago today, Monday, May 11, 2009, I signed into SR for the first time. I was upset with myself for having knocked down a 12-pack over the weekend. I’d read too many stories on this website about people hitting rock bottom, and I decided that for myself and my family, I never wanted to approach that place. After 20 years of social drinking with pretty regular binging – and a growing sense within myself that it was accelerating – I have not drank since. Though I’ve never attended an AA meeting, I promised myself within a few days of starting sobriety that I would attend a meeting before drinking again. That promise has kept me sober in challenging situations more than once.
I have not suffered any visible, physical withdrawal symptoms from alcohol, and I’ve found it an almost entirely mental endeavor after the first couple of weeks. Milestones have been a little harder, though I feel great today. (I suspect one year and a day after the euphoria wears off will be more challenging.) I thank the lord every day that I’ve never hit rock bottom, and I pray every night that I never will.
The problem in sobriety is we forget the control and pain booze inflicts on us after we’ve successfully battled it for a while. Hanging around with fellow alcoholics, whether it’s here on SR, at an AA meeting, or wherever, provides that steady reminder. All you folks explaining your lives and trials with alcohol are what has kept me sober for one-tenth of a decade. Thank you to everyone who has provided help and guidance here on SR, especially those of you who invested so much time responding to my posts 365 days ago. I hope my posts have provided at least a fraction of the support I’ve received here the past year.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats and big hugs on reaching one year sober!!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats Free, great accomplishment! You're an inspiration to us "short-timers".

On to year 2 for you!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Congrats on a year!! Now you've gone through all 4 seasons worth of holidays, weekends, days off, reasons to celebrate, maybe some reasons to have to find new coping skills, all without drinking. Well done!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Congratulations on staying sober for 0.1% of a millenium!

Rev
Old 05-11-2010, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Awesome job, FP! That's such a huge milestone. You should be proud and treat yourself to something nice today.

Congratulations and keep up the good work. You certainly give those of us with less time something to aspire to.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Fantastic, Freeport.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Woo-hoo Freeport! Way to go!
Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That was really beautiful, Freeport. Thank you so much. Congratulations on one year!! I agree with Emmy - you're an inspiration to us "short-timers." You're also an inspiration to anyone out there who suspects it might be time to quit before things get worse. Way to go!
Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What an awesome, inspirational post!! Well done and thanks so much for a wonderful read.

RacerX
Old 05-11-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

It's amazing for us all. All of it.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you Freeport! Way to go!
Old 05-11-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember you signing up really clearly. I had just signed up myself and was contemplating a life of sobriety.

I went back out a few times untill I finally was done with drink and drugs. You have done so well to not go back out again and to commit to sobriety.

1 year sober is truly an amazing achievement. 1 year has to be one of the most impressive milestones, in that you have coped through every season and event without picking up. You should feel very proud man!

I agree that contact with other alcoholics/addicts is essential for keeping yourself grounded and maintaining sobriety. That is why SR is so great!! It's always there 24/7/365.

I'm really pleased for you and can remember so clearly your first few posts. Seems like yesterday!!

Increase The Peace... Nice one!!
Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your year Freeport
D
Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for thumbs-up everyone! And Neo, thanks for all the kind words. Yeah, you and I have been tackling a lot of these first year challenges together. Your posts, as well as those of some other strong people who were with me in the beginning, like Flutter, Taz, Least, joedris, keithj, really helped me survive those first few weeks. Again, thank you all!

There is a certain confidence going into this spring and summer that didn't exist a year before. I know I can get through the BBQs and big league baseball games sober, because I've done it before. There's no insurmountable, physical mountain of addiction that I can't overcome. Getting drunk will be my fault and mine alone. Staying sober will be my challenge and my triumph.

A year does go by fast, but maybe not quite as fast when we're sober vs. medicated with booze. As one who's not real happy about aging, I'll do anything I can to drag these years out longer!
Old 05-12-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Well done Freeport