Notices

Trying to quit for good.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to quit for good.

First post.

I've been trying to ration my drinking for the past couple of years, and I just end up going back to drinking all the time. It is way out of hand anymore, and I feel like it's going to kill me. I basically drink 2/3 a bottle of whiskey every night, and sometimes I even drink in the morning. I will be physically sick all weekend from being hung over, and I will just keep drinking. Sometimes I'm drinking, and I don't even know why. The thing is, when I stop I feel fine, and I don't even want it. I just stop, and then start thinking this isn't so hard, and that maybe I can just drink once a week or something like that. I'm just to the point where I need to stop totally, and make myself right. I'm only 25, but I've wasted so much time drinking already.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

When you get up in the morning make a commitment to yourself to not drink today, then follow through with it. It's just one single day. Do this every morning.

AA can help with this.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome stark! My story is just like yours: years of hoping I would somehow be able to just have "a few." All that trying got me nowhere, and the hangovers got worse. Drinking just to rid myself of the anxiety became the norm, and even while drinking I really wanted to quit. Finally, I just gave up. I knew I was not going to win over alcohol. I am SO grateful that I found this place - I read hundreds of posts which reminded me of myself and finally got up the nerve to post something myself. I'm on day 10 and am so amazed at how things have already gotten better with the support of these folks. Keep posting and reading. I'm glad you're here.:ghug3
Old 05-10-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! This site has helped me tremendously. I hope we can help you as well. :ghug3
Old 05-10-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i have been there

whiskey was my favorite drink on the planet. And i only drank it for 90 days. That is what initially got me in the rooms of AA.
I would go in, go back out, and try somethign different. I would never drink whiskey again, but drink a case of beer instead.
But,really? What did i want- that shot of whiskey. Good old Evan Williams.
That was the ultimate feeling for me.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

one more thing- go to meetings and quit for today. When tomorrow comes, quit for that day too. Don't worry about tomorrow. worry about today.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah it's pretty bad. I miss doing things that brought me so much joy when I was a kid. I used to go hunting, fishing, build things, and it was fun. Now all I want to do is drink, and watch sports. I don't like things having this sort of control over me. I know I can quit, I just need to focus, and really push.

I quit smoking, smoking weed, and I used to not drink pop. I want to live a long life, and I'm really afraid this will give me diabetes, heart disease, and all sorts of other stuff I probably don't know/think about.

Again, thanks for the support.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi stark6935

Welcome to SR

My story was pretty much like yours, only I developed into drinking in the mornings every morning, then all day....

Making the commitment Augustwest talked about is a great start, but please do think about seeing your doctor first.

Detox is ok for most people but, occasionally, some of us do have medical problems with withdrawal.

You'll find a lot of support here - this is a great place....but if you find you can't maintain sobriety day by day on your own, maybe a recovery programme with face to face support - like AA etc - may help.

Please keep posting.
SR made the difference for me - I hope it can make the difference for you too

D
Old 05-10-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stark, that kind of thinking is good. When you take the things you have been missing out on as time marches by and stare at them on the left side of the page and then look at all that alcohol does for you in reality on the right side, it can stir up the right kind of emotions that make us want to quit to the extent that we act on it. For some of us it is no where near that easy though, and then we keep going with and deteriorate for a couple of decades or so and die. And then what did alcohol do for us, while other people enjoyed what we could have been doing? It's a chemical that provides fake relief and just digs a wound deeper, like the nastiest friend around.

The voice inside that says to quit is like a gift and I ignored it for lots of years.

Next Monday, if I think properly inside each day, I will be able to say I have been doing without alcohol for 6 months, and I haven't been there in about 15 years. I started out just by not returning to the stores to buy more and taking satisfaction in that reality and before I knew it I was at almost 3 months. I had no idea I had that ability in me, considering the last several years. That was when I wound up here and I have been watching and reading (and posting) just about every day since then as a way of monitoring my thinking. It has been working for me so far.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That is what happened to me. I used to go hiking, biking, fishing, and everything before i started drinking at 15. Then, as soon as i did that, all my hobbies were out the window. Partying was the only way to go w/ me.

Partying is okay if you know when to stop, and when to involve drinking and when not to. I didn't want to do ANYTHING that didn't i couldn't add drinking to....it was my number one priority.

I couldn't go to a football game, hockey game, or any other sport w/out drinking. I even got drunk watching a professional tennis match!! Who does that?

Now, i go to hockey games and football games and actually see the game. I love sports w/out the drink. That is one thing that is the most enjoyable. You experience the game, good and bad, the way you are supposed to experience it.

I have just over 1 year sobriety. I was able to get sober by going to a meeting that had a bunch of ****** up drunks in the mountains of virginia. The one person who made an impression on me was a guy who drank whiskey every day. His name in the rooms is 'Cowboy'. the guy can't read and write and dropped out of school in the 3rd grade.
BUT, he has 31 years sobriety. When it comes to life, he is one of the wisest people i ever known. He is my sponsor.

Get to an ugly smelly meeting. Not the ones that have little ladies that knit. The ugly ones. The Men's meeting that poeple still smoke in. I go to a meeting in Sterling, VA where you can actually smoke cigars indoors!!
Those are the whiskey drinkers!!! Whiskey drinkers are a different breed!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm sweating pretty bad today, and feel a little jittery, but other than that not doing to bad. I know if I start seeing/hearing stuff to get to a doctor asap. I'm actually at work right now though.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

hang in there stark! use your physician when/if necessary and don't drink! you can do it my friend.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Stark,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I know a person's age doesn't matter when it comes to alcholism/quitting, but it's nice to hear another person's story around my age. Send me a message if you would like to talk more.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you're getting through this!