Old friend, new friend

Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Old friend, new friend

Throughout the years I've kept up with a few old friends from childhood. One of them I had to let go years ago, after he got out of prison for drug related stuff. It wasn't long after that he relapsed and I wasn't going there. I'd already done my time with letters and phone calls during round 1. Funny how I had boundaries back then, only to lose them with my daughter.

Anyway, he saw me on a mutual friend's facebook page and sent me a message, friend request, wondering if that was me. I hesitated and just today got back in touch with him, letting him know I had concerns, in spite of the fact that all seemed well and he had his own family, business.

It was a wonderful surprise to read he's been clean for 14 years now, just celebrated the anniversary and is a 12 stepper! He goes to the same meetings as my stepmother! How odd if he met my daughter when she was there last month?!

He understood my concerns and was very open with me. I let him know I do my best to keep my life drama free, and that my facebook is heavily populated with business associates besides family and friends. I didn't plan it that way, it's just how it's evolved.

I'm really kind of excited to get to know him again, and will be sure to get in touch with him when I'm back 'home' next time. I knew the real him before addiction and he was a great guy; it's the only reason I hung in there with him before. I look forward to seeing how much he's grown, one day at a time

Keep the faith and have hope, friends!
Old 05-11-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I think the timing is right and you both have come through so much in between then and now.

It's nice when you can remain friends, even after all the storms.

Hugs
Old 05-11-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ann, I always remember you saying that coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous. I firmly believe my old friend and I have things to share with each other and the timing couldn't be better. My life is slowly but surely becoming comprised of people in recovery from whatever, including recovering from this flood we had.

I'm seeing recovery and hope just about everywhere I turn. And guess what, the sun just broke through the clouds here. Helen Keller said if you turn your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows.

I love recovery!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Chino,
I've had some similar experiences, especially with facebook. I've become "friends" again with people from my past and childhood. Sometimes we each read a bit about the others life, look at some pictures, chat a bit and then fade away, much like we would do if we saw each other at a class reunion.

Other connections have been more rich and full. People with whom I always felt a bond, now I learn that we've each had our own life/growth opportunities, many times peppered with alcoholism or addiction (it's everywhere, ya know?) and I've learned that more than one has found recovery, either on the A side or on the family/friend side. I've renewed some old friendships that will probably endure for awhile.

It's good that you're open to the possibilities, yet still listening to your gut and checking the boundaries. I think the interaction will be good, and you'll come away better for it.

Hugs
Cats
Old 05-11-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with you Chino. People do come and go in our lives, some are repeats, and some are here to stay, and unfortunately some we just wish would find something else to do

I know I meet people sometimes and walk away after 1 meeting or after several and somehow "know" whatever it is I needed to pass along, was, and sometimes it's the other way - and sometimes it's to reconnect with someone who, because of age and life, we lost each other for a while, but we were always meant to be in each other's lives.

How fun for you! Thanks for sharing, I always like hearing about such things