dui

Old 10-07-2003, 07:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post dui

Does anyone know what happens when one gets a dui? My husband got his first (I can't believe he didn't get one a l o n g time ago) and I was just curious if he would lose his license, be able to drive just to work or what. thanks!
Old 10-07-2003, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Paige -

The laws in each state vary. In Michigan, a first time offense means no license for 30 days and then a restricted license for 6 months. You can probably go on line to the government of Utah and bring up the info for you. Hope this was helpful.

Jo
Old 10-07-2003, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Paige,

My ex hubby lost his license and had large fines in addition to a court ordered alchohol evaluation. This was in Utah....

LG
Old 10-07-2003, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

HUGS TO YOU PAIGE.

HOPING YOU HAVE AL-ANON MEETINGS LINED UP FOR YOU.

Love and prayers from one who cares
Old 10-08-2003, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't know about Utah, but when my husband got one in our state, he lost his license for about 6 months and couldn't drive except to work. He would bug me to drive him somewhere (like the hobby store) and if I refused he said he would drive anyway and get into trouble with the law and it would be all my fault. So I would drive him and he would belittle my driving and me the whole time. It also cost us nearly $3,000 in fines and lawyer fees. The whole time he blamed the cop for being at that place at that time and stopping him. Yes, he wouldn't even take responsibility for his own screw up but had to blame SOMEBODY else.

That was a few years ago BEFORE Alanon and counseling for me and much reading (Codependent No More, among others). I told him that if he should get another DUI I WOULD NOT drive him around (it is his fault if he drives with no licence) and I would not bail him out (never had to bail anybody out of jail before, didn't really know how to do it). Yes, I'm the one that got help, he refused and said he had no problem (still says this). Getting help was the best thing I ever did--for me.