Old 05-10-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the sr family

Read loads. Talk to us. Let us help you
Old 05-10-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shygirl View Post
I need help.
I've hit bottom. I am really sick. I need to quit drinking. please help me.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

Please consider seeing a doctor today, it may save your life.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

See a doctor: nothing wrong with an emergency room if that's what it has to be. And consider going to an AA meeting where you can pick out a woman who sounds good to you to talk to after the meeting. Best of luck to you: it's quite possible every day after this one will be better than the one before. You've identified the problem, and that is the first step.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would echo the other's suggestions: a doctor. Or the ER. You might find as I did that seeing my doctor and talking to the ER staff was my first call for help that was answered: my doc wrote a list of rehab options for me and did my first blood tests. It felt like the weight of the world was lifted from my shoulders at that moment.... when I first talked to someone else about my drinking. Up to that point, I had been totally alone with my demons.
The ER staff were wonderful and helped me through a bad withdrawal. More than once.
Alcohol was going to kill me through my self isolation. I still want to go there to that sad place.
But, now I know that reaching out is how I get help.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family! I hope we can be of help to you as this site has helped me.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can you give a little more info? AA works for me and gave me a new life...
Old 05-10-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Having the courage to come here
and ask for help is totally awesome.

So many of us are paralyized with
fear to even ask for help when
needing some.

Its a step in the right direction to
getting the help u need.

Take small steps asking for what
u need to help urself.

We in recovery are here to help
each other as we all learn to
stay clean or sober one day at
a time following steps and principles
set down before us guiding us
all along the way.

And while we r going thru different
changes in our recovery, it is suggested
that we have fun in doing so.

There is hope for each one of us
as we see those hopeless cases
living life happy joyous and free
from their addictions.

Im one of those who tho I
was a hopeless case.

My name is Sharon and I am an Alcoholic.

By the grace of my HP and people
like u here in SR I havent found it
necessary to pick up a drink of
alcohol since 8-11-90.

For that and u I am truely grateful.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome to sr.i hope you seek medical advice.
then how bout AA?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi shygirl

If you're really sick I agree with the others - a doctor or the ER is a good start.
I hope you'll come back and fill us in a little more

SR helped me to change my life - we're a good bunch here - you'll find a lot of support, help, and encouragement, shygirl

Welcome!
D
Old 05-10-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shygurl,

I hope you take the advice to talk to your dr and please look around here and read and learn. You can stop drinking and we are here to offer support.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((ShyGirl)))

Is it at all possible to go inpatient? It really helped me. It could be the best thing for you, to get into a safe place for the help you need. Please think about it.

Love,

Lenina
Old 05-10-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Exclamation Welcome!

Hi have you EVER tried to get sober before? Just curious b/c its hard to help when we dont know where your at. If your ready to shre that please do. Regardless we cant give medical advice nor would I want to b/c I certianly am not qualidied and I am only 2 days free of alcohol myself but I do consider that a GREAT accomplishment from where I just came from and the amount I was drinking plus for the lenghth of time.

So if you need help emotionally and support I can def. helpyou there as well as so many others here.

I do agree with the others though at this point see a Dr. even if you go to urgent care for a one time visit if you dont have insurance just to hget you BP checked out and they can at least point you in the right direction and tell you if you need ER or they can point you in the right direction and self pay these places range fom $60-125 not too bad to save your life and condsidering you are probably spending more than that at least weekly on alcohol right now.

Do yourself a favor, hang around here, read A LOT, post A lot, let us get to know you ande support you and well (I PRAY FOR ME!!!) be here!!!!!!

<3 Dreams (that you find your way!)
Old 05-11-2010, 05:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Feeling just a bit better today.

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Can you give a little more info? AA works for me and gave me a new life...
I managed to detox on my own.....I felt as if it was the end.....My workers were my family...and my husband, support....I need help. I still feel terrible. I'm in the carribean all alone with my Husband and two beautiful girls..That are totally being neglated by me. My business is also being neglated. The guilt and embrassment is killing me and feel like drinking. I've managed to hide my addiction, but can no longer. I don't want this life anymore, but I've said this before...........help, please.....I'm in the Dominican Rep....would like to go somewhere nice for rehab.....First time....I can't do this alone....Please help....
Old 05-11-2010, 05:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Keep it simple. The first three to seven days are the worst. I don't think it matters particularly whether you're in a nice place or not. Just don't drink today, go to a meeting if you can, and things get better. That has been my experience.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I managed to detox on my own.....I felt as if it was the end.....My workers were my family...and my husband, support....I need help. I still feel terrible. I'm in the carribean all alone with my Husband and two beautiful girls..That are totally being neglated by me. My business is also being neglated. The guilt and embrassment is killing me and feel like drinking. I've managed to hide my addiction, but can no longer. I don't want this life anymore, but I've said this before...........help, please.....I'm in the Dominican Rep....would like to go somewhere nice for rehab.....First time....I can't do this alone....Please help....
I went to a 12 step rehab because i had the funds to go, it didn't cure me but gave me enough information and time away from the fog to understand that A did have a practical and workable solution and i could get sober working the steps under a sponsor...

I had tried everything else and thought it all a load of BS which is twas, for me!

Are there any AA meetings near to where you are? Have you looked at any rehab places in that area or within a reasonable flight away?

I was great at hiding my addcition but it came to a point where that didn't matter to me anymore, i was ****** and knew that around the corner was something that i might not walk away from...

Have you got anyone that can help you look for rehab or for the meetings, anyone you confide in that might at least offer some comfort if not completely understand?

This rehab i went to was Serenity House in Spain, it is no frills and really does concentrate on the 12 step program using recover dynamics by Joe McQ as the structure...i can give you the head counselors email address if you PM me...but i dont know of any closer to where you are...not that spain is exactly far away and they even pick you up from the airport!!!!

If you are an alcoholic then you are going to need something, either AA straight away or rehab then AA IMO...keep going and keep your chin up, it'll be ok isnt going to help much!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's exactly what I need......a friend....someone to talk to and confide.......I'm letting all recent friendship go, as they all drink. Maybe some more than me and maybe me more than others.....The point is that everytime I say to any of them that I quiting...The advise is why? I don't think you drink all that much.!.......... I just want my health and sanity back....I've been drinking for 20 years or so....some drugs but have been clean (drugs) for 8yrs...Just alcohol...Yesterday morning I took my last sip and threw the bottle away......This is it...please help.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Checking out some of these may help:

http://www.cicad.oas.org/OID/TDG/DR/MEMDR9900ENG.pdf

On the following page type in Dominican Republic, then double click on the map to zoom in a bit and it will give you the different places where there are meetings.

Alcoholics Anonymous : How to Find A.A. Meetings

Look up AA or Alcoholics Anonymous in the white pages of your phone book and call that number for local meetings.

Hope the above helps to get you on your way into recovery.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing as we do care very much. Please feel free to ask any and all questions you can think of, someone on here will surely have the answer or know where to direct you to get the answer.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-11-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That's exactly what I need......a friend....someone to talk to and confide.......
That was not my experience. Nor is it the experience of countless other recovered alcoholics.

On the flip side, I see many, many people every year fail to stay sober despite being surrounded by, and forming solid friendships with, countless other alcoholics who understand their problem very well.

It's a tough spot you're in right now. I thought that I needed supportive friends who understood what I was going through. But that didn't turn out to be the truth. Job or no job, wife or no wife, friend or no friend, my only hope was adherence to certain principles and actions. As it turned out, what I really needed was a spiritual awakening.

AA is a program of action whose only result is that vital spiritual awakening. Changed my life forever.