Notices

delayed withdrawals?

Old 05-09-2010, 11:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

delayed withdrawals?

Just curious...

Could have been that the first few days of recovery were completely entwined with other stressful situations--work-carflooding-crazy weather etc.--but day 1, 2 & 3 didn't seem THAT bad. I laid in bed & took it easy, but I didn't have a lashing out of the physical withdrawals that I've heard others mention. I've been drinking TONS of coffee, craving sweets etc, but not feeling as if I'm dying or anything.

I thought for a moment that I'd lucked out, but now I think that was simply wishful. I'm getting leg cramps in bed, horrible headaches, stomach discomfort, VERY foggy mind--even more so than first couple of days. (This is now day 11)

I wasn't a 7-10 drink everyday type. More like a 2-3 everyday & 2 weeks out of the month I'd spend 2-4 of those days drinking 10 or more, it varied though.

I was just wondering if anyone has an experience similar to this, because I know withdrawal affects people differently. I thought that since my body wasn't use to a LOAD everyday, that maybe I'm having delayed withdrawals based on my body getting a bunch of alcohol at least once a week & me getting closer to that time without giving my body what it's use to.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel worse today too, but fortunately i won't have time to dwell on it! I'm sure it happens.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well this is my trusty PAWS link....

Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) Digital Dharma

My withdrawal were all linear....but the upshot is, no matter what the cause, I've heard of this happening to others.

I think you're spot on suggesting that withdrawal affects people differently.
Hope you feel better soon AMc

D
Old 05-09-2010, 11:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! Very useful link--glad I can make sense of how I'm feeling & how to at least not encourage it hope u get to feeling better too Calipoppy, we're doing great
Old 05-10-2010, 12:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
20/12/09

I was a bit similar although the first few days were pretty ordinary to say the least. But it was weeks, well a few months before my body kicked into gear a bit. I found that I got restless in sleep and sometimes I couldnt sleep and other times I had no problem.

It is different for everyone because we all have different experiences in and out of sobriety.

Take each day as it comes and keep up the good work. Be kind to yourself.

LH
Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I was thinking about this yesterday and decided I must be going through PAWS as well. Yesterday (day 9) I started having trouble dropping things. It was really strange because I don't remember being that way in between drinking bouts, or even while drinking. I have to really think through things, too. I was with my daughter in a drive-through two days ago and after I paid, I started to drive off and my daughter said "aren't you going to get the food?" Stuff like that.......... It takes extra effort to concentrate when I'm talking, or when alot is going on. (Have alot of empathy for senile people right now)! Got a bit of restless legs the other night, but it wasn't too bad. And, of course, everything "night and day" better than it was on day 1.

I feel for ya - are you eating right/vitamins and all that? Let us know how it's going, Atlas. I think you're really doing great!!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hahaha....ummm, after reading that PAWs link I became aware of how I must be aggravating my system--which it's use to, but that past aggravation usually consisted of substance abuse.

I've been drinking coffee like no other the past week & it said on the site to avoid caffeine. So, I switched to decaf yesterday. I hope the caffeine withdrawals aren't too bad.

I think my body is just more AWARE of what's really going on with it, instead of me (in the past) covering up symptoms with alcohol or weed. Now that I'm sober I am getting all of the ''delayed'' messages---similar to when your phones been dead for a few hours or days & you finally get it on the charger...then all the back up text messages start popping up...

But yeah Artsoul, I can relate with dropping things and being forgetful...I reckon our brains need a little more time to defuzz. You're doing great too!

Thanks everyone & I hope ya'll had a great day!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Thanks for that website Dee it was very helpful, I have a lot more to read there as there is a lot of info. I really needed to hear there and I know that that site will continue to be of help during my entire recovery.
Its bed time but I will be back to that site first thing in the AM to Read read read....
Thank you! Sorry to hijack post, I hate when I do that but I really needed to thank you b.c this website is something wekl written about PAWS I need b.c I have been trying to explain it to my husband and I need to know more about it myself so its scary but its going to also be vital to my recovery and not relapsing. <3 Dream