Notices

8 months on the 8th.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 months on the 8th.

i meant to post yesterday but i was out and about all day and no time for the computer.

i just hit 8 months yesterday. a quick story. i help coach a youth baseball team and we had team photos yesterday morning. a man that used to coach with us is helping another team now (no falling out, just a different kid and couldn't get him in the draft)

he's a HARD drinker much like i was. he's beer and i was vodka. he's always been interested in the times i've quit. once for 100 days, once for 60+ and now for 8 months.

he was looking for me and asked my buddy that i coach with "how is he doing? i bet he's fallen off the wagon 3-4 times". my buddy replied "i don't think so, he's great"

he hit me up as soon as he saw me and said "you still not drinking?" i replied "what is today?" he said the 8th and i told him "8 months today" i had actually forgotten a milestone.

life is great folks not drinking. one problem...now that i have more energy to work on projects i am realizing that i hit 50 last october and wow....i get sore. when i was drinking the only thing i exercised was my elbow turning up the vodka. i did nothing to push myself. between baseball and work on the casa i really am getting into shape.

it gets so much easier to the point i rarely think of drinking anymore unless i hit some kind of a trigger and then it's much easier to kind of just laugh it off.

thanks to all that have helped me reach this milestone. i could not have done it without this board and the people that welcome us every time we try to get right.

love to all,

david.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Congratulations, David. Eight months is great!!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome achievement on 8 months sober!!!

I hope you always stay two months behind me... I know you'll take that in the way it's meant!! hahaha.

Thanks for posting David.

Nice one
Old 05-09-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a great achievement! Congratulations on the 8 months!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Big hugs and congrats on reaching 8 months sober!! I too am having less cravings to drink and those that I do get are easily dismissed. Living sober rocks!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Well done!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Way tp gp Brother .. of the same date in recovery .... Im so proud of your acheivment its great to see you come back and share your amazing share with us ... much huggles and luvies your friend Endzy
Old 05-09-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations, David!

And, imagine not counting the days, but making the days count!

Seems you are definitely walking the walk - as the other coach was looking for you and asking your buddy about your sobriety.

I'd venture to guess you're an inspiration for him to see that sobriety does not mean boring.

Way to go!
Old 05-09-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations, what a great achievement!
Old 05-09-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful news, David! That is alot of time to have under your belt. You sound so positive and happy. I do hope your friend sees the light and decides he wants what you have. Sounds like he's a bit envious maybe. You've set a great example.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations David

D
Old 05-09-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Congratulations, man.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for checking in with your positive progress David!
Old 05-09-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

8 months is awesome!!!! Keep up the good work.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks to everyone for the kind words.

to the ones that commented on my friend. he had reason to believe that i would fall off the wagon because i did quit for 100 days when we were coaching together and then started drinking again.

he was very interested back then. he comes from a family that all are pretty well off. not uber rich but they have a family business and are all comfortable. and they all are pretty hard drinkers. his dad and both brothers.

they don't let it interfere with their business but he probably hits it the hardest. back in december i attended a pregame (basketball) function for alumni and fans in nashville. it was one of my toughest temptations as i always got ripped at those. i only had less than 3 months under my belt at the time and he offered me a drink that night but was not obnoxious when i turned him down.

the first thing he asked me saturday was if i was still quit. i have explained to him clearly that i have used this site to become and stay sober. i told him i'd help him anyway i could if he wants to quit. not preachy. i know better than anyone that YOU have to make the decision and nobody else can make it for you.

i never showed up at games or practice lit but i was lubed up several times. i am sure it smelled on my breath. my friend smelled like a brewery saturday morning and i could see he was hurting even tho' he wore sunglasses. i sure don't miss that.