Notices

Different

Old 05-06-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Different

Hey guys.

Well I'm personally on the end of Day 3... again, though I must admit that this time feels a little different. I think calculating it I have over the last year or two been sober for at the most around 3-4 days at a time, which is quite shocking to be honest, when I say that I don't mean I was on a monster binge all the time but there were enough dark times. This is, I think, the most clear minded I have felt in a long time.

This has all kind of came to a head after yet again feeling ridiculously ill after drinking for days on end. Day 1 was awful, couldn't keep any food down and was really anxious but got through it, didn't sleep at all though. Day 2 I kept myself busy with anything I could find, as I did on Day 1, and had some hunger but thought very little about alcohol compared to my normal self, didn't sleep. Today, Day 3, I have tried to keep myself busy and had the occasional thought about alcohol but didn't stay with it. I actually had some bad news financially today which while being bad, felt good that I didn't rush to the drink with my problem as I have done in the past. I'm typing this at 01:30 in bed because I'm not tired, God knows how I'm not, but I don't feel too bad. I've had the odd mood swing but that's about it.

I really hope this stays the same and I've heard that the first three days are probably the worst to get over, don't know if that's true or not really. Something else I did today was push myself to go out, something I've never been confident in over the past year or so and although I felt a little out of comfort I managed to come through it. Although I don't post too much on here I have to give a big thanks for it being here to read every day, I don't want this to come over as a boasting post or anything I'm just typing how I feel, hopefully it will give somebody else something to read when they need it.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Bored3)))

Way to go on 3 days and getting yourself out of your "comfort zone" today!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-06-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad things aren't too bad for you this time bored3.
Sorry I've forgotten - are you doing anything else, or just SR?

D
Old 05-06-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you, B3 - getting up and out of ourselves is really beneficial.

I felt more clear-headed when I got sober for the last time (by the grace of God and a good recovery program, it will be the last time).

There was something about just knowing I had finally had enough and I was willing to do whatever it took to get and stay sober.

Those ridiculously sick detox days were part of the motivation, but something inside just said *enough* - it's definitely worth it.

Glad you're here with us.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Generally the first three or four days are the roughest. So if you're at the end of day three you've probably had the worst you're going to have. Be alert tho, in case of any problems go straight to the doctor or the ER. Congrats on getting thru the worst of it - the best is yet to come.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies guys, it does help.

I'm just on SR and my own self interest at the moment. I do not for one second discount any programs, and although I get the idea that doing it on your own may not have the greatest success rate, for me it's an individual thing, that and I live quite rural so going to AA or anything like that isn't really accessible to me (I know that may just sound like an excuse but it isn't).

I can only keep going like it is and although the "worst" is over, I know there's a long way to go. I must say that, touch wood, my thoughts of drinking are much, much less than I have thought in as long as I remember, strange as although I was feeling pretty sick there was no "major" turning point. I'm eating better, starting to exercise and just trying to get on with it. I'm meeting with a couple of friends tomorrow and when they mentioned getting drinks in I just said I'm not drinking anymore. They seemed cool enough with it, we'll see how it goes. The only thing I know is I have no urge to drink tonight, tomorrow, and hopefully that continues.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Bored. Congrats on your 3 days. I know what you mean about getting outside of your comfort zone and its not an easy task. Good for you for doing it. As long as you keep your options open regarding your recovery programs all is good. I use SR exclusively, but I, like you, have not closed the door on AA. If I feel I need it then I will go. So far all is well though. You are doing good.

Oh and about your friends, if they do decide to drink then just excuse yourself. Maybe have an escape plan of sorts. I would do that in early sobriety. Now others drinking isn't as much a bother. Your thoughts of drinking do lessen as time goes by.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Hi Bored. Congrats on your 3 days. I know what you mean about getting outside of your comfort zone and its not an easy task. Good for you for doing it. As long as you keep your options open regarding your recovery programs all is good. I use SR exclusively, but I, like you, have not closed the door on AA. If I feel I need it then I will go. So far all is well though. You are doing good.

Oh and about your friends, if they do decide to drink then just excuse yourself. Maybe have an escape plan of sorts. I would do that in early sobriety. Now others drinking isn't as much a bother. Your thoughts of drinking do lessen as time goes by.
Hi there, glad to see I'm not alone on the SR exclusivity, I'm the same that I haven't closed the door on anything.

I was thinking about the whole friends drinking thing. I get the feeling that they won't drink, but I wouldn't ask them to at all. Hey who knows, maybe if they get drunk it will be an interesting experience to watch instead of do!
Old 05-07-2010, 04:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Bored there are quiet a few that aren't in a formal face to face program. Just promise yourself if you honestly feel that you are nearing a relapse that you will try a face to face group BEFORE that happens. That's what I have done. That promise will always be there. Look forward to hearing how your experience with your friends went.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Hi Bored there are quiet a few that aren't in a formal face to face program. Just promise yourself if you honestly feel that you are nearing a relapse that you will try a face to face group BEFORE that happens. That's what I have done. That promise will always be there. Look forward to hearing how your experience with your friends went.
Hey again, I will promise myself that but I'm feeling pretty good today still, sleep isn't going well at all but I'm guessing that will come.

Halfway through Day 4, feeling fine.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Maybe I spoke too soon.

This is the first time since I started again that I've started to crave some. My plans for the night are cancelled and I'm feeling pretty bored and lonely. I know that I can go and get drink if I want but I also know how disappointed I will feel tomorrow, or whenever that binge ends. It's Day 4 and it was going so well, I'm pretty anxious and annoyed right now.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

3 is 2 more than me, working ion 1 today dont fell so good all the sudden you must fell better thqan me, hold onto that! <3 Dream