Prescribed meds for addicts

Old 05-06-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prescribed meds for addicts

So, we've encountered a hiccup here (Recovering addict husband and I). He's been having a mega-hard time focusing. He's been clean from meth since October, 2008. He's been doing well. But, he's really struggling with concentration.

He went to see the doctor (and a mental health adviser) and they are going to screen him for ADHD/ADD. They also stated that some people with undiagnosed ADD/ADHD often turn to meth because they are self-medication in a sense--addicted to the focus effects of meth, etc. That some meth addicts might not have turned to these kinds of drugs if they had been diagnosed and treated properly. I think this happens with addicts across the board at times.

But, here's my issue. They told my husband that if his screening results come back positive for ADD/ADHD, that medication might help him. The problem? most ADD/ADHD meds are amphetamines: adderall, ritalin, etc. And I am very VERY uncomfortable with this. He's doing so great in his recovery. I'm worried this will set him back, give him a taste and make him want to go back to the hard stuff.

The doctors know of his past relationship with meth and stimulants and yet they seem ok with it.

I'm trying to be supportive, but it scares the living hell out of me.

He and I talked it out, had a bit of an argument, got through to the other side, etc. But, ugh.

This is scary territory and I appreciate you all reading this and just being there.

Thank you.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand you fear but you are going to have to let go of outcomes and trust your husband to make wise choices.

You said you talked it out and let your feelings be known. You cannot control him so check your boundaries because enforcing them IS something you can control. Are they firm? Good. Then all set.

Additionally, just because you support someone, doesn't mean you have to support something you don't agree with. It may be better just to butt out and let the consequences fall where they may.

IF you have firm boundaries, YOU will be OK.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of the guys in rehab with my daughter had this issue and they put him on low dose ritalin. All it did was help him focus. He said if he still wanted to get high he would be in big trouble.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If he truly is ADD/ADHD, and that is putting the cart before the horse, there are medications out now that are not stimulant-based for ADD/ADHD.

I also know an addict whose DOC was meth, and he made darned sure he blew his concentration difficulties out of proportion, read up on ADD/ADHD, and knew everything to tell the psychiatrist that would get him diagnosed and on the stimulant-based meds.

The end result of that was not pretty.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Zombie!

I've found the best thing to do is to stay out of it. My RAH was prescribed all kinds of meds out of treatment and then the VA doctors kept "tweaking" them, adding and subtracting. When I finally told him leave last July, he was using street drugs, he was so doped up on Rx's written by his doctors that he might as well have been shooting dope.

As a recovering addict, the addict has some responsibility to not be high, even if by legal means and even if a doctor is prescribing legitimately. Mine would not tell the doctors how the meds were really effecting him so I had to ask him to leave. He refused to acknowledge that he was overmedicated until sometime later when he was in a homeless shelter and detoxing himself off a bunch of benzos for depression and anxiety and a self-imposed methadone detox.

His doctor's were well aware of his history with drugs and alcohol and prescribed the meds anyway. I was told repeatedly that I was not a doctor and I should leave the medical advice to the physicians who in all fairness, could only rely on what he was reporting back to them as far as weather they were working or not.

I thought about alerting the doctors (and did actually make phone calls to that effect before I got into recovery) but because of working a program, realized that it was not my job to that and all I had to do was take care of me and the children.

Leave it be. It's not easy and unfortunately, this is your husband's issue. Talk to your sponsor and encourage your husband to stay in touch with his. Hopefully he won't abuse anything prescribed to him and the result the doctor is looking for will be acheived. T
Old 05-06-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ThatLittleGirl

I understand you fear but you are going to have to let go of outcomes and trust your husband to make wise choices. - I agree with this...I had to do the same.

My husband is an opiate addict, and he has been diagnosed ADD...so, he's on Suboxone for the opiate addiction and Vyvanse for his ADD (you might ask your doctor about this one...it's supposed to be better from an abuse perspective than Adderall)...and Ambien CR for sleep.... I could go on. I didn't want him to take any of this because like you I felt like it was a pathway to using again; but ultimately, it wasn't my decision to make, and I had to step back and let my AH make his own choices.

I would have no problem with him taking these medications if they help him transition to a life without any drug intervention...or minimal. But these medications are only one piece of a comprehensive recovery program in my mind...including meetings, sponsor, step-work, etc... If I saw a more comprehensive approach, I wouldn't be as concerned as I am...because I think my AH is using them as the cure-all approach...and I just don't think that's the answer.

In regards to the ADD, I've been told by my AH's doctor, that left untreated, ADD could actually push my AH to use again...and that perhaps, if he is treated, it will help alleviate some of the symptoms my husband was experiencing which caused him to use in the first place. I don't know how much of that I believe...but I have let it go...worrying about it wouldn't change the outcome...AH is going to do what he's going to do...always has, always will!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My ABF has a pretty tough anxiety disorder so naturally the idgits (who knew he was an addict) put him on Klonopin, Zoloft and Neurotin. He had a relapse recently and admitted to using more of the Klonopin and Neurotin than he should of to try and "level" out what the Percocet he had been buying illegally (after getting them legally for a back injury he got hooked and when he ran out...well you get the picture.) Anyway he came to me and handed over the pills. This was his idea NOT mine so it has worked for the most part. Not saying it's for everyone, some days I'm not even sure it's for me. Just saying it works for some people.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the replies. I guess it's a one step at a time thing here. He and I have talked about it and he wants to make sure we're both comfortable with the decision on this. I realize that he will do his own thing, but it is a marriage and he wants us both to be prepared, etc.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are actually non drug treatments available for ADD and ADHD. My son
was diagnosed with ADD and was very opposed to taking drugs to aliviate the issues. He wanted to work them out on his own. He did a series of bio feedback sessions which help tremendously. He did this when quite young and goes for "tune up" sessions now when he feels overwhelmed.

Not sure that this is a solution for everyone but it has worked to help my son manage his ADD. Worth a look as a non medicated option if that is the goal.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i think that what thatlittlegirl said makes a lot of sense.

the addict in some people, will cause them to want to go to a drug. it's what their course has been. some people.

the recovering addict does not want to start on a slippery slope. he doesn't want to use something that may cause those twitchy feelings to get stirred up.

think about it - why do so many use to the point of becoming addicted in the first place? there is - with some of them - something physiologically not quite right, that causes them to discover "self medicating". whether that be mental illness, an endorphin-production problem or something else. i think it's entirely possible that if this is debilitating enough that it's causing trouble in his life, then considering the med might prove valuable.

i also applaud your husband for treating you like his partner, and having what sounds like a mature and thoughtful discussion about this.

second opinion? addiction-background type doc? other meds options?

good luck...
Old 05-08-2010, 04:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have known several addicts in my time who have gotten mixed up with adderall or ritalin or dexedrine or any of the other amphetamine based medications and in every instance the end result was not pretty. I will point out that all of those drugs have the same mechanism of action as methamphetamine, meaning that if your husband had a predilection for one he will probably have a predilection for all of them.

At the risk of treading perilously close to offering medical advice, which we are not supposed to do here, I will say that there are several prescription medications out there for the treatment of ADD that are not stimulants like Ritalin and Adderall and all the other goodies that so many addicts crave. There are also non-medication treatments, which include diet, exercise, not smoking or drinking caffeine, etc.

What I think you should do is schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist as opposed to a General Practitioner, and a psychiatrist with extensive experience treating addiction at that. He or she will be in a better position to give advice, and if necessary go with your husband to ensure that he does not obfuscate or minimize the extent of his past drug use if you are afraid that this is what he might do.

I think coffeedrinker touched on something as well - addicts who are serious about recovery do not want to put themselves on a slippery slope, which includes prescription drugs, whereas addicts who are still sublimely looking for a fix will do precisely that. Although I do not know which camp your husband falls into, I suggest you go to the appointment with him only because many addicts who have used street drugs like meth are still under the delusion that 'if a doctor prescribes it, it must be OK,' whereas addicts have abused the system to get prescription drugs by 'doctor shopping' no that that is far from the truth. If your husband fits that description then for a treating psychiatrist to have some collateral reporting about your husband will help her make the most medically sound diagnosis.

If on the other hand your husband just wants adderall and is willing to fudge the test in order to get it, then I hate to see you might have a bigger problem then just the ADD. If he is determined to get the drugs I don't know how much you can do to stop him.

MZ
Old 05-08-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marshallzhukov View Post
He or she will be in a better position to give advice, and if necessary go with your husband to ensure that he does not obfuscate or minimize the extent of his past drug use if you are afraid that this is what he might do.

If your husband fits that description then for a treating psychiatrist to have some collateral reporting about your husband will help her make the most medically sound diagnosis.

I'm just curious. How much personal experience do you have with recovery from codependency, MZ?

He's an adult.

It's not her responsibility to "ensure" he doesn't obfuscate or minimize the extent of his past drug use to a medical professional, or to give "collateral reporting" to a medical professional.