Notices

Finally, Day Two

Old 05-06-2010, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally, Day Two

I finally managed to give up drinking on Tuesday, after trying every day for weeks to do it. I feel very jittery and anxiety-ridden, but nothing so bad that I can't manage. The fears and sadness just got to be too much, and it was scary how much I was losing control of my drinking. Wish me luck.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congrats on your decision and your 2nd day. I can almost guarantee you will feel better as time passes. If you feel sick or have some extreme difficulties, keep in mind that telling your doc./ER is a real good idea.

lots of liquids, B-complex vitamins, milk thistle is good for your liver...light diet if you're queasy.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome!! SR is a great place for support, that's for sure. It doesn't replace face to face support though, do you have anything in place to help you along the way? Might want to see a doctor to check your health (detoxing can be really dangerous!).

Glad you found us!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

after trying every day for weeks to do it
Me too, Norther. Only I would put months/years instead of weeks. I guess we all think we'll be the one person to go from alcoholic to social drinking again. I know for myself, after crossing that "line" I could never be satisfied with just one. Even if I stopped at one, it would be torture and I'd be envious and wishing I could have another. Day 1 and 2 were really hard, but hang in there because once the anxiety leaves, you will start to feel some positive energy. I don't know where it comes from but it does. Hang out with us in the May 2010 class. We're all new to this and there's alot of support there (and everywhere here at SR). All the best!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been drinking, more on than off, a number of stretches daily for years, for over 40 years. So I've quit a number of times, sometimes in treatment, sometimes not. My health is to some degree wrecked. I've gone to AA on and off. This time was different: I quit EVERY day for weeks and could not carry it through more than a few hours each time. Again, this time was different. I don't have the faintest hope any more of controlling my drinking. This realization is probably a good thing. Let's hope so. I think, by the way, that we should be very cautious about bragging about how bad our particular situation might have been: that merely gives others an opportunity to excuse their own drinking as not that bad. I have tried not to do that. Just a thought.

I have been going to meetings again. I intend to keep that part of things very simple this time. I'm not there to do anything but not drink. In the past I wanted to be some kind of star of sobriety. That's a trap. I just don't want to drink any more. That's it: period.

I feel the same way about SR: I check it all day to keep in touch with the idea of not drinking. Not drinking is the best I can do, if that. We'll see.

Last edited by Norther; 05-06-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-06-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been drinking, more on than off, a number of stretches daily for years, for over 40 years. So I've quit a number of times, sometimes in treatment, sometimes not. My health is to some degree wrecked. I've gone to AA on and off. This time was different: I quit EVERY day for weeks and could not carry it through more than a few hours each time. Again, this time was different. I don't have the faintest hope any more of controlling my drinking. This realization is probably a good thing. Let's hope so. I think, by the way, that we should be very cautious about bragging about how bad our particular situation might have been: that merely gives others an opportunity to excuse their own drinking as not that bad. I have tried not to do that. Just a thought.

I have been going to meetings again. I intend to keep that part of things very simple this time. I'm not there to do anything but not drink. In the past I wanted to some kind of star of sobriety. That's a trap. I just don't want to drink any more. That's it: period.

I feel the same way about SR: I check it all day to keep in touch with the idea of not drinking. Not drinking is the best I can do, if that. We'll see.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

not drinking is the best I can do too, ODATT. and since February it has worked a small miracle for me.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...than never

Good luck, Norther!

I'm on day 10 and the first couple were a real bear. Then the next few were unpleasant, but somewhat smoother. It was only this morning that I got up and realized that I felt pretty calm. Stick with it, definitely worth it.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Smile

Originally Posted by Norther View Post
I finally managed to give up drinking on Tuesday, after trying every day for weeks to do it. I feel very jittery and anxiety-ridden, but nothing so bad that I can't manage. The fears and sadness just got to be too much, and it was scary how much I was losing control of my drinking. Wish me luck.
Yep all the Luck in the world! If we do what we did yesterday and continue to grow each day with new awakenings we will be able to make it through another
Today 01:12 PM
Fandy not drinking is the best I can do too, ODATT.
But I think Fandy meant to say ODAAT but than again look where my thinking has gotten me LMBO
Old 05-06-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Norther

I remember that 'quitting every day' feeling....getting to day two is really great - good for you

Hope to see you around some more

D
Old 05-06-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family!