Notices

Night away with work - coping

Old 05-03-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Night away with work - coping

Hi there

I have been sober for almost 16 months. I have managed so far with the support of this forum, my partner and a few books.

No one else knows that I consider myself an alcoholic (except for one close friend that I have discussed drinking with because he has an issue too). I've no problem with potentially telling people in certain situations, e.g. at meetings, in the future ... I just don't want to tell people more generally (for all the drinking culture, the UK is a lot less understanding about such things)...

It's become normal to me to take soft drinks in social situations. In fact, through sober eyes, I've been amazed at how little non-alcoholics lives revolve around drink. Where I've needed an excuse for being the only one not drinking - I have been fine because I have just made sure that I have the car or said that it is my partners"turn" to drink...

I have an upcoming work do though which has me concerned.

It is pretty much mandatory attendance and involves a day and a night in a hotel. Already there's been a few comments about cutting loose in the evening and getting drunk etc...

I've managed to scrape through other work's dos by taking the car but this will be moot with the overnight stay.

Drinking is not an option. I know this and am 100% that not drinking is achievable... It's just going to be a tough one as I can't avoid it and the pressure is going to be piled on...

One possible option - going for the day and not staying over is a possibility... which would avoid the bar at night...

Any thoughts from the community on such situations?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think not staying overnight would be a great move

D
Old 05-03-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I agree with Dee. Avoid it if you're worried about it.

If you must stay.....head to your room early with a headache?!

CONGRATS on your 16 months.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I second the not staying overnight option. If that would avoid the bar scene, it is well worth avoiding temptation. I do not put myself in situations where I risk drinking. My sobriety is much too important to me. SusanLauren
Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Absolutely, go for the day and then head home. And, neither do I tell people in my life that I am an alcoholic. It does not define who I am. And, there are many prejudices and stereotypical beliefs about alcoholics.

And, congratulations on your 16 months sober.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

I agree, if it's a possibility, head back home that evening.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If an overnight stay is mandatory, plead paperwork in your room. Say you're coming down with the sniffles, a headache coming on or tummy troubles. Do not put yourself in harm's way!

I often have to have dinners for business. I usually leave early using the above reasons. I don't like being around drunken people.

Hope this helps.

Love,

Lenina