Notices

Sobriety Techinques

Old 05-02-2010, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Sobriety Techinques

Awhile back someone on here posted about a technique called '3 deep breaths'. There is a book by that name, too.

Anyway...I used that technique a lot for awhile. It just helped on such a basic level.

I have been dealing with a personal issue lately. Can't get it out of my head...it's about ready to drive me nuts....I can't do anything about it except obsess. So, it came to me to use the same breathing technique when I start obsessing about this problem.

It's working. So....are there things that you do for your sobriety that you use in other aspects of your life?

Thanks SR. It rocks to live here.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I do the 3 breath thing all the time. It works in every aspect of my life. another thing i'll do if i'm obsessing or not present in the moment i'll do the 3 breaths and then say out loud what i'm doing. For example, if i'm working on a report at work and stressing/obsessing over something else, i'll pause, breathe, then say out loud "i'm working on the _______ report." Saying it helps return my attention to the present moment.

i find if i return my awareness to the present moment throughout the day that my stress, obsessions, cravings, anger, etc... all occur much less frequently. Being 100% engaged with whatever is at hand right now doesn't leave much room for my mental garbage that can twist anything into a mess. It's meditation in action in daily life.

serenity prayer is another thing i'll say to myself throughout the day as needed. Many things happen that require acceptance or changing throughout my day and sometimes pausing and saying the prayer gives me the grounded place to act from to find the wisdom to know the difference.

Another recovery tool that i use for other things is the 90 in 90 concept. They encourage newcomers to attend 90 meetings in 90 days, a meeting each day. I've used that principle on other things such as exercise and meditation. After doing something everyday for 3 months it really does become a habit. It's helped me in recovery and life.

12th Tradition- Principles before personalities- i apply that to my daily interactions now and it truly helps me to not get hung up on the individual and learn/understand what i can from them. It's taught me in my workplace and other environments to listen for the message behind what someones saying and to listen for their needs rather than judging them for their personality or attitudes.

i could go on and on i think.... gotta get back to work.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey CN. I had no idea you were going through something like this. Guess we all do at some point in our sobriety. My thoughts come at me wildly at night. In fact, just last night every negative thought that could come at me while I lay in bed did. I tried and tried to replace the negative with the positive and finally did. I had to find gratitude in my head and then when negative thoughts appeared I replaced them with thoughts of gratitude. I also meditate to release stinking thinking. That's helped me too.

Hope something here helps you. I am sure there will be many more people with great ideas. Hugs - Sarah
Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One thing I am trying to do more of...

Do something nice for someone else... Can be a family member, coworker, friend. Gets me out of my own head and helps drive away that damn self centeredness that is always wanting to creep back in...

Progress, not perfection. And this is an area that I need more work on... I woke up this morning all inside my own head, which sucks, and I am trying to get out of it.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I've not been doing well with that lately. I've been crying and then falling asleep.

I cried last night then came on here because I couldn't fall asleep. The distraction of the arcade helped.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm not having near the cravings I used to get, and when I do get them I have a simple way to make them go away: I ask myself, 1. will drinking improve this situation? and, if needed, 2. do i want to wake up tomorrow sick as hell and hating myself? Of course the answer to both is "NO".

Don't know why this little trick is working for me now, it never used to...
Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

great thread, coffeenut!

Right now, I'm filling up my free hours with SR. It's like a never-ending meeting. It helps my resolve to read about everyone's experience, whether good or bad.... to remind myself of where I came from, where I am and where I'm going. At day 3, I really don't trust alot of my own thinking. ( Looking up alcoholism on the internet is also a great motivator.)

Like august said, staying present is really important for me right now, as is trying to replace the negative self-talk with positive thinking. I don't treat myself very well. I also need to get active, not just exercising, but doing things I enjoy, and doing new things, like taking a trip in the near future (something fun to plan for) or eating in a new place. I saw this in my devotional book yesterday and really liked it:

Growth can be gentle now. Growth can be fun. Breathe in new air. Breathe in new energy. Exhale the past, its feelings, beliefs, and toxins. Let it go. Let yourself be transformed.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ice cream.... it mixes horrible with booze. In all seriousness I am member of a mens meeting that keeps it really simple and they suggest that when you crave booze especially early on, you eat hard candy, eat ice cream or drink a frappe (sp?) in my first year the ice cream worked for me, with a stomach full of it vodka did not seem so appealing. Also the simple act of driving to get it let the madness of wanting a drink pass once or twice.

I kept skittles in my car for the first 6 months too....
Old 05-03-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do a variation of 3 breaths technique: Inhale deeply through my nose, hold the breath for just a second, then exhale slowly through my mouth, repeating one word over and over again (mine is "steady"). It helped me get through the cravings for cigarettes when I quit smoking. Now, it serves the same purpose for alcohol.

I'm also trying to keep myself as busy as possible...trying out new things, meeting new people, etc. I figure, if I can't find the time to think about alcohol, then I won't drink. Or at least it'll be a little bit easier.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Three deep breaths... Great simple relaxation/stress release/focusing technique. I haven't used it in a while, thanks for reminding me. Works great with simple soothing visualization as well a focusing on goals. For me all the cliches that are thrown around... Fake if till you make it especially. They seemed overly simplistic at first, but I've come to realize that there is a vast amount of experience and wisdom behind them. 12 3... Ahhhh much better...