Notices

Dreams of relapse

Old 05-02-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams of relapse

Never thought I would make it this far, day 28. still going strong. 1 major episode recently where I was tempted to take a drink, but I passed the test. on the whole, seem to be having an easier time regarding the cravings. Since I stopped, the urge to drink is actually less strong, which is great!! Also seem to be getting almost daily reminders about how bad alcohol would be for me.

seems i keep noting stuff on tv, online, on the news, even little random reminders throughout the day about how boozing would kill me, and this seems to be helping me stay strong. am also enjoying the feeling of actually feeling sleepy before bed and then falling off to sleep, rather than drinking myself to oblivion and waking in a cold sweat 3-4 hours later, with panic attacks and self loathing.

right now, i feel a million miles from drinking, but yesterday, had a really funny experience. Had a really vivid dream, where I dreamt i went out and got completely hammered. It was not a nightmare, didnt feel scaryish, but when I got up, i 'felt' slightly hung over, and for a few minutes, i actually felt a little of the familiar self loathing, anxiety and depression. for awhile, my mind seemed to be telling me 'you blew it, might as well go back to drinking', before i realised, it had actually been a dream! it was so weird. anybody had any similar experiences? i figure it was the alcoholic part of my mind, trying to fool me into relapsing.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That's quite common. It does go away with more sober time. It's just a dream, thank goodness.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi pricey

They're very common. Someone else had a thread on this very recently.

least is right - they go away in time

They're pretty intense, but personally I don't think they mean anything - I had a lot of them and I never relapsed, or felt like I thought they were going to make me go that way.

D
Old 05-02-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Priceyjunk -- Congrats on your 28 days. I've had three of those dreams in the last 15 days (well, one was about pot, but I'm counting it). The terrible thing for me has been that in the dreams I'm having a grand old time living it up with friends and family. The first one distressed me more than the other two, but I'd much rather be dreaming that I'm sober and living it up. Ugh. Anyway, you aren't alone.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I still have these dreams almost weekly.. my counselor once told me to just consider them a reminder of how it would feel to go back out again without really having to..especially that next morning feeling of despair.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and congrads to your 28 days!! I posted this question myself just a couple of months ago!! it happened to me alot, and still the odd time..I'm sure they will die down the further we go into our recovery!! still disturbing though aren't they...at least they are just dreams!!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks everyone. The strange thing is that i never used to dream about drinking or getting drunk. I guess having the next morning feelings of depair should be taken as a good sign if even dreaming about drinking is going to make me feel that way about myself, then maybe it reflects a deeper seated desire to maintain this change.

I wrote in an earlier post that i was having problems making excuses not to drink. I've not felt comfortable in disclosing my issues with alcoholism, but have managed to set things up so people know i'm avoiding alcohol for health reasons. (i'm even avoiding alcohol containing products/ foods). Some friends and family have really been supportive of this, even providing specific alternatives to booze when we get together etc. its funny, but i do get the feeling that if i were to 'come clean' so to speak, then most people would just be looking out for me to fail!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had one about a week sober where I was at some kind of dinner and all family and friends were there and I felt drunk and everyone thought I was drinking but didn't say anything to me. They looked at me and avoided me and I felt awful. I couldn't walk straight or stand up in my dream. I felt like I was plastered and when I woke up it took me a while to get that it was just a dream.

I so hear ya my friend. Keep on with that sober time.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

I just had one a couple nights ago, my first one. I had a dream I went out and got completely hammered and was stumbling around by myself in a parking lot looking for my car and could never find it.
I recently got my first DWI, which is what made me quit drinking, so to dream I was drunk and looking for my car really scared me. It's quite confusing having a dream like that cuz I know for a fact I will never drink and drive again. If I do (God forbid) go back to drinking, I'll just do it at home.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread cuz I was about to post that I've had 3 dreams wherein I went out and got completely lit up. Whew! Glad I'm not going insane I guess!

The dreams were so vivid I could have swore I had tore up a bottle, in fact when I woke I had to put myself in check to be sure it hadn't actually happened lol!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
04-04-2011

I had one the other night. Not that I got plastered, just that I was out drinking. I could almost taste it.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I get that sometimes. It seems to happen more when I'm really stressed out.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've had two in the past week. Last night was pretty bad and during the dream I felt horrible about it and thought I really messed up. But it sure felt good to wake up and know I didn't mess up and I'm still sober!

Congrats on 28 days!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I got them when i was sober as well. they are un nervrving. A worse recurrent dream is repeating exams and having zero study done, that is even worse than the booze drink
Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

I had another one last night. And like you, kyb5, I could almost taste it. I was at a bar and all of a sudden I realized I was not supposed to be drinking. I looked down at my glass of beer and thought about not drinking anymore, but since I was already drinking, I figured what the hell, so I drank it. It was much more real than the other one I had. And like some of you guys said, when I woke up I really thought it happened and I was so pissed, thinking, oh great, now I have to start over and I was on Day 17. I never had dreams about drinking while I was drinking. Weird.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Good to revisit this thread today, because I had another drinking dream last night. I tracked down this thread because I remembered someone (priceyjunk) mentioned feeling hungover when they woke up and I thought it was so bizarre, but this happened to me last night! I woke from the dream with a headache and had to take an aleve. I've had several drinking dreams since quitting but this is the first one where I turned down alcohol in the dream. In the dream I was seeing a band with a few friends and I had a few sips out of a can of Budweiser (ew and I could dreamtaste it) then dumped it down a drain. I feel like my sleeping brain is learning, finally! What relief.