Notices

dreams

Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dreams

last night i had a dream that iwas drinking im aproaching 90 days i have never had this before but was so real im wondering why now
Old 04-28-2010, 10:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking/using dreams are very common in recovery. Your mind is working something out thru your dreams. As long as iit's just a dream, don't let it bother you.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

least is right - they're very common.

I don't believe they're any subconscious desire to relapse or anything - certainly didn't turn out that way with me

D
Old 04-29-2010, 04:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm finding that, the longer I stay sober, my drinking dreams are decreasing in both frequency and intensity.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Had a dream myself recently which took me by surprise - I was somewhere and everyone was drinking (though not the main context of the dream) and I was handed a drink and had it in my hand to drink - as I used to do - but then suddenly refused it! When I woke up I was really surprised that I had done this in my dream! My subconscious is hard at work ! I was so glad that - even in my dream - I refused the drink which gives me a lot of strength!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is a great article in this month's AA Grapevine on drinking dreams. It said that "drunk dreams are my Higher Power's way to allow me to have an experience of a relapse with its mental, emotional and spiritual horror, but without having to raise my hand at the meeting as a newcomer".

The author went on to say that "they give me an ever-deepening understanding of the insanity of the first drink and gratitude to God for protecting me from it."

That really spoke to me. I just had a drunk dream, and at first I was horrified when I woke up, but then after a while I was so darn thankful to God it was just a dream. Maybe they are our minds way of sorting out the craziness we once had with the obsession of the drink.

That being said, I had a hangover for part of the next day. I kid you not. I had the icky stomach and the headache. It was unreal. I guess totally my imagination, but if I had had the shakes I would have sworn that I drank for real. (we don't keep liquor in the house)
Old 04-29-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Scamy, I think I still have dreams I am in school sometimes and that I am going to be late for class. Same thing. Sometimes I think a dream had a purpose in processing an issue or feelings, but that could be wishful thinking. They evaporate so quickly after I wake up that it reminds me there is a difference between sleep and wakefulness for a reason.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I forgot to mention that "school" was 20 and 30 years ago, but you get my drift.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well thanks for the responses I havnt had another dream yes took me by suprise in my dream i was with some people i did not no and i was drinking i can remember feeling guilty like what are you doing i was glad to no it was just and dream but i was alarmed i dont ever recall a dream like this that seemed so real not even in the first days after stopping drinking maybe it was my minds way or gods of keeping me aware
Old 04-30-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i didnt feel hungover or anything but a great sense of relief
Old 04-30-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

I'm only a few days into recovery (again) but this was a good read, last night I dreamed I had a mixed drink and threw up. I literally woke up nauseous. It was weird!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

lol, day 18 for me now and I'd say I've had a drunk dream about 14 of those nights. I wake up thinking what the hell have I done...and then I'm elated when I realise that it was just a dream
Old 04-30-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Originally Posted by bananagrrrl View Post
There is a great article in this month's AA Grapevine on drinking dreams. It said that "drunk dreams are my Higher Power's way to allow me to have an experience of a relapse with its mental, emotional and spiritual horror, but without having to raise my hand at the meeting as a newcomer".
That's awesome! I never thought of it that way!

I just had a dream about drinking myself, and I can remember thinking, "Oh man, what did I just do. There go my 20 days!!" I had to laugh when I woke up and realized it was just a dream. Still, the point you made was perfect, because it DID give me a sense of how I would feel if I let myself actually drink!

Rev