Notices

cycle

Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cycle

I want to quit drinking, but the stress of maybe have done permanent damage to myself stresses me to drink more. Pretty dumb eh??
Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Pretty dumb eh??
Not dumb, it's an addiction. We keep doing damaging things to ourselves because we're addicted. Have you seen a doctor to have tests done to determine how much, if any damage drinking has done? Might be a good idea. I know that the body will often heal itself after we quit doing the damage. Might reassure you to find out what's up with your health.

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. It's great to find a place that has people who understand you!
No I have not gone to the doctors. I am ashamed to tell her and afraid what the tests results may reveal.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Mayson -

Continuing to drink because you might have done permanent damage is a sure way to make that maybe a possible reality.

Please do get honest - with yourself and a doctor - I think you'll find it to be freeing in off-loading the stress and admitting that you have a problem.

There's nothing to be ashamed of - a doctor is not there to judge you, only to help you. Let him/her do that.

We're here to help you too. Look forward to seeing you around.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

did any of you fear this?

What was your best tip/action etc you did to get you to stop and stay stopped?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us had a lot of fear when we stopped drinking. I sure did.

I think that stopping and staying stopped are two different things.

For stopping, distract yourself as much as possible, shake up your daily routines, go to different stores for groceries, etc.

To stay stopped, I believe you need to recognize that it's not just about the alcohol, but you need to deal with underlying issues.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't mean to answer your question with a question, but why do you want to stop drinking?

Drinking because you think that you may have done harm to your body is an escape from that stress - something you just don't want to deal with temporarily - alcohol numbs that stressful feeling for you, but only for so long.

Sobriety/recovery is something I wanted so badly I was willing to do whatever it took to get it. It's not about just putting down the drink (altho it has to start there).

Knowing that enough was enough was very powerful for me. I could no longer live in my own skin and face another day with the person I had become.

I'm grateful to have turned into the person I am and can look in the mirror without shame or remorse. That's powerful.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't want to stop just because of the health reasons. They are many reasons really. Waking up feeling tired and thirsty with puffy eyes, waste of money, want to grow old for the kids, the secret lie of a life I live... Many many reasons really
Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
04-04-2011

Welcome!

Originally Posted by mayson28 View Post
I don't want to stop just because of the health reasons. They are many reasons really. Waking up feeling tired and thirsty with puffy eyes, waste of money, want to grow old for the kids, the secret lie of a life I live... Many many reasons really
I can sure identify with all that. I'm on day 6 myself and I don't regret the decision I've made to not drink. Feels great to wake up rested without all the guilt from the night before. Not to mention the money savings.

Stick around. Lots of great people here with good advice. Keep posting and reading. It's good therapy, at least for me.

You CAN do it!!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can think of why I drank and that was to avoid life. Burying my head in the sand was what I did best. Problems didn't get better through drinking though because they weren't dealt with. Problems got 10xs worse.

You have to learn to face life head on and it can be done for sure. There are so many people here on SR that have stood at the crossroads you are on. The one road to start the journey would be the one to the doctor. If you ignore it will it go away? I think your mind will make things worse. If there is a problem it won't get better if you don't go. Know that you aren't and won't be the first or last person to go to a doctor because you need to stop drinking. You will be doing the sensible and most likely, life saving thing by addressing it with a doctor's help.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Why not check with your doctor....and be honest about
your drinking? A blood test will give much information
on what damage...if any....has been done.

Alcohol is a toxic liquid....it can cause harm to anyone
not only alcoholics....

welcome....
Old 04-28-2010, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yes really the doctors is a good place to start. I guess it's like avoiding life by drinking, I am avoiding getting answers from the doc. I just got to get down and do it.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mayson

Well I guess you know what I'm going to say LOL...
let us know how you go at the Drs.

D
Old 04-29-2010, 04:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks, I have a feeling this forum is going to be what I need to get through this