Notices

Just want to mention this cause it makes me feel better :-)

Old 04-27-2010, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just want to mention this cause it makes me feel better :-)

In my earlier drinking years, alcohol and cigerettes went together _Always_. A date just passed w/o my realizing it, on April1, 2000, just over 10 years ago, I had my last cigerette! Did NOT think I could do it at the time, but here I am, have not touched a smoke of any kind in all that while;-) I was waiting for this day as all the charts say, if you quit 10 years ago, your odds of the various cancers, COPD's, etc., is about the same as if you never smoked.

..Mike
Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good work Mike

D
Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
part time member

Stay dry and congratulations. Another 7 years and you will catch me! I did have a slip after 4 years (only one) but it made me so sick that I wouldn't dare touch one. Remember when you were counting the minutes................and now its decades.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

I quit smoking almost 20 years ago, and I don't miss it a bit. (In fact, with as much as cigs cost today, I doubt I could afford to take it back up! LOL) I'll say this, tho: for as hard as it was to quit at the time, quitting drinking was harder.

Rev
Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 10 years of no ciggies! And quitting smoking/drinking at the same time. Wow.

I didn't quit cigarettes and alcohol at the same time but for me, quitting smoking was harder. I don't miss a bit.

And agree with Rev, the cost alone is enough motivation these days, but for me, I quit for health reasons (on both counts) and am glad I did.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HumbleBee View Post
Congratulations on 10 years of no ciggies! And quitting smoking/drinking at the same time. Wow.

I didn't quit cigarettes and alcohol at the same time but for me, quitting smoking was harder. I don't miss a bit.

And agree with Rev, the cost alone is enough motivation these days, but for me, I quit for health reasons (on both counts) and am glad I did.

Actually, I drank like a damn fish until several months ago. So, really just recently gave alcohol the heave ho. Not sure I could have stopped both addive vices at the same time. I mentioned on these boards earlier, I just got laid off of my software job so I am in between jobs, and for me, that's the biggest risk factor for me, to much free time on my hands. Free time and me is a disaster waiting to happen :-( I know this will change over time, but for now, trying to find a job asap!!

..Mike
Old 04-28-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
04-04-2011

Wow....that's huge! Congrats to all of you!

Old 04-28-2010, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My hat is off to you guys. Smoking AND drinking? Not long into recovery right now myself, and smoking is all I seem to do since quitting the sauce. I hope to be there one day myself.