Notices

"pink cloud"

Old 04-27-2010, 01:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

"pink cloud"

Hi everybody, I'm on Day 8. Can some of you guys who have more experience than me tell me your opinions on the "pink cloud" I just learned about? I read that it's a feeling of freedom and you feel like you got the addiciton problem figured out, but really a lot of problems are coming ("life"!!!!) that will be extremely distressing and will knock you off the pink cloud and could lead to drinking/drugging.
Since I seem to be on a little bit of a pink cloud, but I know life is hard and I know I will have a lot to deal with when various problems arise, I'm not in denial as far as that is concerned, am I truly on a pink cloud? It seems part of being on the pink cloud is a feeling that everything will be wonderful now, and I simply know that's not true............ I just feel really good that I've been doing good and the more I learn about alcohol and marijuana, the more I'm repulsed by it. I just feel like I see things differently than before I was educated about it.
I want to know what you guys think cuz I don't want to fall into any traps. Sorry it's so long, thanks for any feedback......... Robin
Old 04-27-2010, 01:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If i moved to a new city for a new job, that city would be the bees knees for a time...it is a new place to me and there are new things to see, the job would be exciting because it is new, people would be exciting because they are new and i would be really happy about everything!

Then after a time it will become home and it won't be new, at that point if i have made friends, got some hobbies, worked hard at my job to create oportunities for myself and made an effort generally then i will continue to live in the city and accept it as home.

If i haven't done the above then i will feel disgruntled, yearn for the place i moved from a few months previous, feel lonely, restless and irritable...

Same goes for recovery, change nothing and after the initial thrill of sobriety is gone you are eventually going to want to go back to where you came from even though you know it is a dump, its got to be better than this!

When i went to AA my sponsor said the 'pink cloud' may last a few days, may last a lifetime...if you do the work and get your spiritual awakening you will be able to deal with your feelings and emotions when sobriety becomes an everyday affair and reality for you, if you don't you will be ****** and eventually you will drink again...carve that in stone because that is sooooooo true!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Robin

I missed out on the pink cloud - I'll let others share their experiences
I think as long as you stay vigilant and avoid becoming complacent, like you seem to be doing - all will be well

D
Old 04-27-2010, 01:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, I was also told I was on a "pink cloud". I was feeling really good that day & proud of myself (I had just finished some AA service work on the phones).

Did I have some rough times after that, yes... but I also rode some pink clouds & still do (whenever I can ;-)

Take Care,

NB
Old 04-27-2010, 01:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Indeed, I think I've become well aware of the pink cloud. I felt great for the past week, but today was a bit of a comedown. Life exactly, but staying strong and not really tempted to pick up a bottle.
Good info though, thanks for the post.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

Yeahgr8, thank you so much. That makes sense. I feel like I am definitely changing my insides as far as spirituality and figuring out new hobbies (I'm only on Day 8 but so far I've been reading way more and I'm trying to come up with other positive ways to spend my time). As far as spirituality, I recently discovered Buddhism (a few months ago) and reading about it really brings me peace. I feel like it's really going to help me.
I also have to ditch some "friends". Eventually I'd like to meet more positive people, maybe at meetings? I go to a small AA meeting. There aren't many people there but I like it that way.
Anyway, as far as this pink cloud thing I'm concerned about, I think that like Dee said, if I don't get complacent and stay cognizant that the pink cloud is a possibility and watch out for it, maybe I'll be OK. Thanks again to everybody for writing back to me about this. Robin
Old 04-27-2010, 02:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

PINK CLOUD (for me)

was totally blissed out that i was alive at all after all that!

absolutely everything was just GREAT
because I'd just escaped the alternative.

I STILL get 'em.

I personally - LOVE THEM.
And if I recognize someone else is on one -
I'll sidle over and let some glow over on me as well.

I hear often these people say 'I'd prefer to stay in the middle'
meaning no highs and no lows ....

but I can't imagine anything more boring than a beige life.

I love those days
when a bird flying is the most amazing thing i've ever seen...

when watching kids play in the playground freezes me in my steps for ten minutes.
when I can say thank you ... and it comes from the depth of my heart...

So don't let people make you discount feeling good
after so long of feeling terrible.

the only thing I think people mostly fear fromthe cloud
is that they're blinding themselves to life on life's terms

Well if life were a complete let down - no one would come here!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi robin

a subject right up my ally.

my first sponsor said to me, when th hell are you going to get off that pink cloud?

of note, he is no longer my sonsor

i remember going out speaking, and talking about the pink cloud about 2 years in.

an old lady came up to me and said, "Sonny"

you can have that pink cloud forever, just as i do...

it's all in the attitude"

good wishes robin

ps,

if i should fall off that pink cloud,

now i have a pink parachute! lol
Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

Barb and Rusty, thanks so much. Your posts are interesting and make a lot of sense. I understand the whole pink cloud thing better now. As long as I'm smart about it and don't get overconfident I think I'll be OK. Thanks everybody!!!! Robin
Old 04-27-2010, 02:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nothing wrong with being happy.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One more thing i think is worth its weight in gold that my sponsor told me after weeks of me living with it without asking anyone like a good alcoholic!

Some days we feel tired, achy, a little off colour...maybe even feeling 'what a day'...of course we will still be greateful that we are sober and our worst day in sobriety beats our best day when drinking hands down...

But he pointed out to me that not everything is a spiritual problem or needs deep spiritual analysis...sometimes everyone, alcoholic or not, feels a little off and thats ok too:-)

As long as i am not procrastinating and feel good about my actions then progress not perfection is the key!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love this thread!!!!

Thanks everyone for these pink cloud words of wisdom!

Old 04-27-2010, 03:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

oh WOW! what a CUTE avatar!!! HE looks pretty pink cloudish!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I try not to get too hung up on labels. Pink clouds, fuzzy bunnies, blah, blah, blah. Bottom line is I feel much better sober than I do drunk, so I stay sober.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

there have been some tremendous responses here!
rusty,barb and yeahgr8 im with you lot!
im nealry 15 months sober through the 12 steps of AA.
most days are like that for me and its usually me that gets in the way if they are not,my good friends i have made in AA notice if im not on full beam,but thats ok like yeahgr8 said,and its all learning,and im still a baby on this programme.
but after 20 years of blotting things out,the learning,freedom and joy in every day living with my new pair of eyes and new heart are a pleasure!
i wish you well in your recovery.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I like the 'pink cloud feeling'. It's so much better than the dark storm cloud that used to hang over me all the time.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

Hi least, I love the pink cloud feeling too........ it's just that from what I read elsewhere on the internet, people make it sound like it's a warning that you're getting over confident and that you could start drinking. I asked the woman who leads my AA group about it today and she made it sound like that too. But after reading everybody's posts, I realize that I'm just happy and proud of myself that I made it to Day 8 (actually Day 9 now)....... Robin
Old 04-27-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I think of the pink cloud this way...

Imagine you have had an untreated, infected wound for a long time. It hurts like hell and gets worse every day you neglect it and pour salt on it. Then one day you decide to start treating it, so you clean it up, stop pouring salt on it; bandage it etc...

Suddenly, it doesn't hurt as much and compared to the hell of an untreated infected/neglected wound, it actually feels kinda GOOD. You know, good compared to hellish agony, that kinda good. THIS is the pink cloud.

The wound still has a lot of healing to do, it may ever hurt as it heals, but the healing takes time, and that "good" feeling is just relative to the agony it was originally in...

That's how I see the pink cloud, enjoy it while it lasts and don't be fooled by it.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great thread, one of my worries also. Got inspired by the words written here.

Thank you
Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

Rev