Notices

just thought I'd introduce myself

Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just thought I'd introduce myself

Hello all,

Just thought I would introduce myself the the forum.

This is the nth time I have tried to give up drinking so am not too hopeful, but I have a little saying framed on my study desk (thank god) which keeps me trying..........never, never, never give up.

Have spent the last couple of hours reading posts and can relate to many posters. I am missing out on so much of my life and my daughter's lives from being numb or anxious or depressed.....

Am so sick of it.....

I don't even look at myself in the mirror anymore, I look bloated, flushed faced and have gained 35 kilos in 6 years since I left my husband.

I really hope somewhere down deep inside there is something within that can give me the strength I need to ditch this once and for all.

I have an appointment with my doc on Friday. I think I need to be on antidepressants, but am worried about even 'more' weight gain.

Self esteem is at an all time low. I have not many friends left as I alienate myself.

Sounds dreadfully miserable, but I appear to most to be happy......because I really don't wont to talk about it anymore (the monotonous.....things will get better...I'll stop drinking when this or that happens)

And so here I am.....
Old 04-26-2010, 09:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Louise!

Love,

Lenina
Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good luck.

I am new as well, and I knwo I will fail before I suceed. I hope and wish the best for you.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!!

It's a bit slow, this time of night (it's 4 a.m. where I am) but there will be others around soon.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-27-2010, 01:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dear Louise,

A warm welcome to SR! You will get a huge amount of support and advice here - I'm relatively new here myself and tomorrow I will be on day 80 :-) SR has played a huge part in my recovery and the people here have kept me going through difficult times.

Have you thought about seeing a 'nutritionist'? We have been seeing one for over a year now and have really changed our outlook on food/food planning, nutrition, etc., and feel so much better for it. My husband has lost a lot of weight and we both feel a lot healthier these days - it's not like going on a diet for a specific period of time - it's a lifechange which could perfectly coincide with your staying sober. I also started back at the gym a few weeks ago and am feeling a lot better about my body these days - it also gets your metabolic rate going and you don't feel hungry afterwards or like 'polluting' your system with alcohol!!

Big hugs,

Almath
Old 04-27-2010, 03:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

welcome!

Louise was my mother's name.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Louise

On the anti-d issue - they're quite advanced now and won't affect weight as much as they would have previously. However you need a good diet and exercise to go with them to bring your natural serotonin levels up also. The pills aren't a cure-all but they helped me a lot.

Good luck
Old 04-27-2010, 03:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Louise

Welcome - you'll find a lot of support, and a lot of communal strength, here

D
Old 04-27-2010, 03:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hello louis and welcome to sr.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Louise, and welcome to SR. It is a great site. A lot of great information, support and knowledge.
Dean
Old 04-27-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I hope we can help you as much as this site has helped me.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Louise. This is a good place to learn how to quit drinking. Since I'm new here also, my only advice is to keep reading these threads. There is a lot of good info here. Best wishes.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

day 2

Thanks for taking the time and replying/welcoming me to the forum.

Much appreciated.

Today is day two.....

I usually find day one/two even three quite easy to handle without alcohol. It's the fourth day when I start to feel nauseous and very agitated that my head tells me I need a drink to cope or feel better or get this one "be a better person/mother".

I phoned a local yoga instructor yesterday afternoon and had an interesting conversation about how I need too change my lifestyle physically, mentally and spiritually.

Her insight was amazing. We worked out a start date and then she went on to tell me that calling her is the start of reparation of my soul and body. It was the right thing to say to me at the right time. And I feel relieved that I have taken one positive step in the right direction.

I have plenty to do today which will keep my mind off getting alcohol. In fact, I don't feel like wanting to drink as my head is aching.

Just for today......
Old 04-27-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Louise and Welcome,

It sounds like you have found a great yoga teacher and I totally agree with what she said about healing physically, mentally and spiritually. I have found that balance is the key to recovery for me and I try to work on each of those things every day. I think you will find that when you make one change in your life, you will see a ripple effect and it will encourage you to change more.

I do hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR!