Standing up for myself...

Old 04-26-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Standing up for myself...

I had an appointment with my therapist this morning at 9:30. I was running late, so I didn't even put on my makeup in order to get there on time.

I checked in and sat there...and sat there...and sat there. Even though the glass partitions were closed at the reception desk, I could hear the receptionist talking to the transcriptionist about a variety of things including vacation spots.

At 5 till 10, I was getting ready to walk out when my therapist came out of the bathroom, and asked the receptionist if that was me out in the waiting room. There were other people at the desk, and she didn't have a clear view of me.

No one had notified her I was there, and she was not a happy camper. Neither was I.

So, I got shorted 30 minutes as she had a 10:30 appointment. She apologized to me on the way back to her office, and I told her it wasn't her fault. She asked if I wanted a grievance form, and I said "You bet."

I have no problem at all sending that into the central office with my complaint.

When I went back to the front desk to make another appointment, the receptionist said she was sorry. I didn't say a word.

For many years I would automatically have said "That's okay," after an apology, while seething inside.

Today it's not okay, I'm going to take action, and that is a good thing.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You go - That was uncalled for. I know I could have used that extra 30 minutes and then some. Way to stand up for yourself.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Long story short! I spent a year fighting the VAH for a hysterectomy. I had to write a nine page complaint letter to get any action started. I had injured my utureus and ovaries while on Active Duty in the Army. The OBGYN I saw said; "This patient is mental, in here for opiates only, (I was 2 1/2 years clean when this happened), admit her to the mental department, have her evaluated and do not give her surgery. A year of fighting got me my surgery. The first words out of my mouth after surgery was; "The pain is gone". I assure you standing up for yourself will get results. But I never was one to be walked on. I guess that's how I survived 22 years in the Army!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tiredofdrugs View Post
Long story short! I spent a year fighting the VAH for a hysterectomy. I had to write a nine page complaint letter to get any action started. I had injured my utureus and ovaries while on Active Duty in the Army. The OBGYN I saw said; "This patient is mental, in here for opiates only, (I was 2 1/2 years clean when this happened), admit her to the mental department, have her evaluated and do not give her surgery. A year of fighting got me my surgery. The first words out of my mouth after surgery was; "The pain is gone". I assure you standing up for yourself will get results. But I never was one to be walked on. I guess that's how I survived 22 years in the Army!
Holy cow! I would have punched that OB-GYN!

I'm glad you got that resolved! :ghug3
Old 04-26-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
today4me

Just had an encounter with a professional staff that attacked me over a working project we both are working on. I calmly looked at her and said that was uncalled for. Indicated I would not accept that type of slander or accusation and asked for fairness in her reply back next time subject was brought up.

In the past, I would of clammed up and not wanted to get her anymore upset. Was proud of standing up for myself in a work type environment. I believe I just took one step forward!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

See, I would have explained to her if she had been paying attention ie. doing her job rather than running her mouth there would be nothing to apologize for.

:/

I've learned to just keep my mouth shut. Sigh.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I sent my dentist a bill once.
(this was back in my twenties ... when I was truly a fearless kid)

He didn't pay it... but I never waited an hour again, either.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good job

I do pick my battles though. In your case, I would have been annoyed, but with my character, I would have gotten up, went over to the desk, smiled and said "Get the doc please, she is late and I have an appointment"

I would never waste any energy on getting mad with this. I learned to pick my battles to save my energy

But again, good job. It becomes a reflex when you learn to stand up for what is right