When you say what they want to hear.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

When you say what they want to hear.

why is it still such a fight?

If we are so awful to them.....liars, cheats, heart breakers, hateful b!tches, etc, etc, etc, why do they insist on staying with us?

ABF and I are have been NC for three days now. We spent a few days together, after being NC for just over two weeks, and as usual it ended with silent treatment. Tuesday night we were bickering about stupid stuff (I came home from work and within the first half an hour my kids were at my side, telling me about my day. He sent them all out of the room, which upset them all. I told him that they were just trying to tell me about their day. He said yes but he just wanted a few minutes alone with me cause he hadn't seen me all day and immediately they were up my butt. I said I understand but they hadn't seen me all day either. He said well maybe he needs to find a way home tomorrow. I said yeah, maybe you should. Then like a child, he picked up his stuff and went to bed. That was 6:00 Tuesday night. Wednesday morning when I was leaving for work I said thanks for coming and left. He wrote me a note that I got when I got home. I read it, laughed, crumpled it up and threw it away (it basically said he was just trying to spend some time with me but obviously I didn't want that and he didn't deserve to be treated the way I treated him and yadayadayada crap).

So I went on with my night; cleaning and whatnot (Wednesday's my kids go to church so I'm home alone for about 3 hours). Anyway. Was picking up around the house, took a bag of garbage out to the can outside and at the bottom was two empty beer bottles.

And at that point I got flaming mad. I was heated. I WANTED him to call me so I could go on about it and tell him all the things I've been keeping inside.

But I didn't. Decided it wasn't worth it. I was done at that point. I've tried. I've put in my effort. I really didn't (and still don't) think he was drinking but that didn't matter to me. I guess I saw it as my last reason, my last straw.

So anyway. He finally called me about an hour and a half ago. I picked it up towards the last ring.

He said I haven't called. Asked how long I was going to wait before I called him. I said I hadn't planned on calling at all. He said he didn't deserve to be treated that way, he did nothing wrong. I said I was sorry he felt that way. He said I was nothing but a liar and a cheat, no different then every other girl. I said I'm sorry if I hurt him the way they did, I'm working on bettering myself. He said he wanted me to know the beer bottles weren't his (and I never mentioned them). I said okay, thanks for telling me. He raised his voice, said they weren't his--he took them out of his sister's car so if she got pulled over she didn't get open container. I said it didn't matter. He raised his voice, asked if I was giving him the silent treatment and treating him like crap because of an empty beer bottle he threw away for someone else in an outside trash can. I said I appreciate you throwing the garbage in the can instead of on the ground. He said he can't believe this, how sorry and what a selfish little b!tch I am. I said I was sorry he felt that way. He asked why I can't see all the good he's done. I always assume the worst in him. I told him that I never meant to hurt him and I hope he'll find someone better than me to treat him with the respect and love he needs. He said I ruined him and he'll never be with anyone else because he wants me, he loves me. I said I can't be with someone that I make so unhappy and miserable and that he should move on, find a better someone. He said f-you, he doesn't want anyone else. Then said he's going to bed, I love you and hung up the phone.

This is not the first time I've heard any of this (though it's the first time I've heard it in awhile). I used to cry. I used to fight back, "no baby, I DO love you". This time I just went with the flow. He said I was a bad person, I agreed. He said I treated him like crap, I apologized. He said he doesn't deserve what I give him, I said he was right. He said he's done nothing but good for me, I said yes, you have. He said I always expect the worse out of him, I said he's right, I do and I need to work on that. It went on and on (I allowed it to be my fault, whatever, I don't care anymore--I know better).

But why would he want to be with me if I treat him so poorly? I mean, if I make him SOOO miserable and unhappy, why would he want to be with? If he thinks everything that comes out of my mouth is a lie and I've done nothing but cheat on him, why would he want to spend his life on me?

Is it a losing a battle? I tried not to make it his fault (there is no fault, we just aren't meant to be and I see that now). But I'm strong enough to be able to stop, listen and roll my eyes.

I just don't get it. Is there any happy medium?

I shoulda just never engaged in the conversation at all. Let the phone ring!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi kv-

i think it is amazingly selfish of a man to send children away from their mother when they haven't seen her all day. surely, he's an adult and can wait half an hour or so while you catch up with the kids...

also, i wouldn't believe that beer story if it was me. there is some chance he did take them out of his sisters care and there is also some chance he drank them himself in his sisters car.

i think your new approach of just agreeing with him when he blames you is a good one; it gives him nothing to fight against if you're not playing your half anymore.

naive
Old 04-23-2010, 03:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"I told him that I never meant to hurt him and I hope he'll find someone better than me to treat him with the respect and love he needs. He said I ruined him and he'll never be with anyone else because he wants me, he loves me. I said I can't be with someone that I make so unhappy and miserable and that he should move on, find a better someone."

I was struck with this as I'm having the phrase "Say what you mean and mean what you say" swimming in my head. It kinda sounds like you've told him it's your fault. You make him miserable. I went the other way - Told mine that he's basically a plague on the human race. Somewhere in the middle is the truth. So, the truth for me would be "We are not good for each other" and "I can not be with someone who escapes with alcohol or drugs, I'm just not built that way. If you want to drink and drug and not get help - you'll be better off with someone else". I liked how you did say "I'm sorry you feel that way" If we don't know what the right thing to say would be, we could always just perpetually repeat that!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kv816 View Post
But why would he want to be with me if I treat him so poorly?
Um, maybe because he gets all the power, and you feed his ego, giving it to him?

What words he says have no bearing on reality; he just uses them to manipulate you into a mental state of subjection, and you in the past have taught him this is acceptable.

Of course, when that equation starts to shift, he's going to NOT LIKE IT, and fight back, using the same manipulative techniques, turned up ten notches. King baby syndrome.

CLMI
Old 04-23-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OMG, kv, I could have written that post in terms of what your ABF said to you...I've had the EXACT same things said to me. Wow. I'm always struck by that on this forum.

It's interesting to me that he brought up the beer bottles w/o you ever having said a word about them. He even went so far as to have a story about them all prepared and ready to feed to you. It seems that he "doth protest too much".

I remember when I first put some boundaries on what was happening in the relationship the anger and rage and insults escalated. I felt all of my old feelings about my exA as I read your post. It was a total setup: he wanted you to choose him over your kids, him over yourself, him, him, him. It will never be enough no matter what you do, because he doesn't want help. Unless it makes you say you'll stay if he "considers" getting help, etc.

Thank you for posting your story kv. Be strong in what you need for YOU, and for your kids.

Hugs,
posie
Old 04-23-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

So basically the answer is DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE!? lol

He can blame me if he wants to, make the final end to this bizarre, crazy relationship my fault. I really don't care. I know the truth, the people closest to me who have been there with me for the last 3 years know the truth. He can say whatever it is he needs to tell people to make himself feel better.

For all I care, I've let life pass me by for too long. I'm dealing with my ghosts and demons and moving on. Today is the first day of the rest of my life.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'd take it a step further by blocking him on my phone. If you are sure this relationship is over, what is left to say? Stay strong. Time to live for yourself and your natural born kids. Let the big kid figure things out for himself.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

King baby.

How dare he send your kids out of the room.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You know - the words mean nothing. They have no bearing on what he feels or does not feel. They simply choose words they feel will manipulate. Those words worked in the past so those are the one's he chooses now. If they quit working, he'll try some others.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlovermi View Post
Um, maybe because he gets all the power, and you feed his ego, giving it to him?

What words he says have no bearing on reality; he just uses them to manipulate you into a mental state of subjection, and you in the past have taught him this is acceptable.

Of course, when that equation starts to shift, he's going to NOT LIKE IT, and fight back, using the same manipulative techniques, turned up ten notches. King baby syndrome.

CLMI
^^^^^^^^^

Exactly right.

Mental subjugation is what they seek, and when they don't get it, they turn up the heat.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kv816 View Post
So basically the answer is DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE!? lol

He can blame me if he wants to, make the final end to this bizarre, crazy relationship my fault. I really don't care. I know the truth, the people closest to me who have been there with me for the last 3 years know the truth. He can say whatever it is he needs to tell people to make himself feel better.

For all I care, I've let life pass me by for too long. I'm dealing with my ghosts and demons and moving on. Today is the first day of the rest of my life.
They'll write it on a giant sign if they have to, just so long as they don't have to take any blame, have any fault in it, because that would invite introspection, and they can't have that, as it is the opposite of denial.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LS2

wow, sounds like some of our conversations! how crazy! So many times I can think of where he interrupts me and tries to talk with me when I am reading the kids a book or even just talking with the kids!

I get the "why haven't you called" all.the.time. its just annoying, beyond belief. How many people actually sit and text their significant other 25 times a day!? This is what my A does, I tell him to stop I am busy...then its questions...what are you doing? why are you doing that? blah blah blah.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow! My AXBF is doing this to me all the time too. He tells me how I never really cared, that I just listened to his problems so I could use them against him in the future. How I am a b----. How I am selfish and don't care about how he feels or about how his life is in shambles, how I am lazy, how he can find a WAY hotter girl than me (he LOVES this one).

I used to try to defend myself, I used to try to explain to him things and why I was acting that way, I used to ACTUALLY believe it when he said it.

Now that I have been changing the way I talk to him, he is now turning to "You are manipulating me" "You are playing games with me and I will not give into your manipulation" "I tried to make this work but now all you are doing is manipulating me" - PLEASE.

And he also hasn't been calling me because he knows I will say "I do not need to defend myself and I do not need to hear your cruel words. Goodbye _____, have a good evening" and then I hang up and refuse to answer the phone.

I think sometimes he truly believes I have done these things just like I think he totally believes all of the lies he tells but I also believe he does it because it is satisfaction for him that I fight about it and defend myself because he knows it still gets to me.

Now that I am not doing that, he has no idea how to handle himself so he is trying other approaches. Trying to make me feel bad about the relationship. Like I gave up on it and there was nothing wrong.

I think he also says things like this to keep me down. To keep me thinking I am the one who messed this all up and to get me in a vulnerable state where I am blaming myself and let him back.

It is all manipulation and he is only thinking of himself. Because if I break, he has a place to stay and drink again and he can sit around and not be responsible for anything while making my life hell. NOPE. Not letting it happen anymore.

"How many people actually sit and text their significant other 25 times a day!?"

Insecure. Controlling. Someone who knows they are losing you... (try 330 in one night... My AXBF does that to me all the time when he is drunk)

"For all I care, I've let life pass me by for too long. I'm dealing with my ghosts and demons and moving on. Today is the first day of the rest of my life."

And there is no possible way I would believe the open container beer story either. Seems he got defensive, already had a whole story planned out to tell you... And YOU didn't even mention it. Seems real sketchy to me.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

kv816, honey, I know you have tried and tried. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I know it seems like one day there will be answers to these questions. But the God's-honest-truth is, none of these questions really HAVE answers because once an alcoholic / addict reaches a certain stage in their disease, relationships are not FOR normal reasons. He is coming to this relationship from a different universe, a different sphere, a different plane. Relationships (like everything else in the alcoholic's life) are for the CONTINUATION OF THE DISEASE. All of their thought processes, their words, their behaviors, ALL of it, is to allow for the consumption of the drug of choice, in this case, alcohol. EveryTHING and everyONE becomes a means to an end. Including you.

But why would he want to be with me if I treat him so poorly? I mean, if I make him SOOO miserable and unhappy, why would he want to be with? If he thinks everything that comes out of my mouth is a lie and I've done nothing but cheat on him, why would he want to spend his life on me?
Because you have the desire and the ability to support him in the ways that he needs you to support him so that he can continue to drink. The words he has used are simply to get what he wants. The words coming from his mouth are not normal relating, they are diseased relating.

Is it a losing a battle?
Yes. It is a losing battle.

I tried not to make it his fault (there is no fault, we just aren't meant to be and I see that now). But I'm strong enough to be able to stop, listen and roll my eyes.
You will adjust and adjust and adjust to try to make this relationship "work" but he will not, no matter WHAT he says. No matter how much he says he loves you, no matter what extreme things he does to "prove" to you he loves you.

I just don't get it. Is there any happy medium?
No, there is no happy medium. There is ONLY YOU adjusting, trying to meet half way but then having to go ALL the way, time and time and time again.

You don't get it because you are still trying to approach the relationship thinking it is a "normal" relationship. It is NOT a normal relationship, it is an alcoholic relationship.
He is not in this relationshiip for the same kinds of reasons you are.

I shoulda just never engaged in the conversation at all. Let the phone ring!!!
Right. Yes. That is no contact. Do not talk to him. The longer you avoid talking to him the more emotional detachment you gain. Then, when you then DO talk to him, you are better able to SEE what his purpose for being in the relationship REALLY is.

Sad, I know, but you are getting there. Good job. Keep doing what you are doing. But learn the lesson you were meant to learn from this last episode and go no contact again till the next lesson comes along.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi kv, thanks for posting, definitely something I needed to remember as I deal with my AH... My AH would also try to send our young son out the room right after I would get home.

Originally Posted by naive View Post
hi kv-

i think it is amazingly selfish of a man to send children away from their mother when they haven't seen her all day. surely, he's an adult and can wait half an hour or so while you catch up with the kids...
I completely agree with Naive.

While the alcoholism played a big part of is irrational behaviour, I've recently come to the realization that my AH's actions were because he is at least in part resentful of our son. While I don't cater to every need our son has, he's small enough that I help him with quite a bit, I baby him when he slams his finger in the door or bumps his knee; I take care of him. That's what parents are supposed to do for their children. However, I no longer cater to my AH, in fact I left, I don't baby him when he hurts himself while drunk, or has a hangover, and he doesn't like that.

Originally Posted by mishaco1 View Post
It is all manipulation and he is only thinking of himself. Because if I break, he has a place to stay and drink again and he can sit around and not be responsible for anything while making my life hell. NOPE. Not letting it happen anymore.
As mishaco points out, he's trying to manipulate you and only thinking of himself.

The most important thing is to take care of yourself and your kids.
Best wishes.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

Thanks guys.

I thought about this a lot today (and even asked myself why I even tried again after our last major fall out). I never did find an answer.

I just can't do it anymore. The more we were together and the more we talked, the more I realized I am SO much happier without him. There are a lot of things I will miss and a few times I'm going to wish he was here to handle it for me, but the bad I'm leaving behind far outweighs the good.

I heard this song on the radio today by accident, was just channel surfing. Caught it right at the beginning and it grabbed my attention. I got goose bumps at the beginning. And then just about died laughing.

YouTube - Jaron And The Long Road To Love - Pray For You
Old 04-23-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi kv!

Did you block him from email and phone? erased Facebook? put a black mark over his phone number if you got it written anywhere?

Its funny how not even the smallest kid wants to talk to you FIRST yet this adult does.

kv, I have not broken NC and life is better. Well it sucks many times too. But at least I smile again.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Only stepping forward

Blocked from email, yes. Can't block him from my phone though. All I have is a cell phone and my company says THEY can't block a number but I could probably find an application that will block a call. But I haven't found one yet. I'm going to keep looking. He doesn't know I have a facebook (and he doesn't have a computer anyway). I've tried this before and all it's done is made me stronger and stronger.

It's not so much that I'm happy without him as it is I'm just happy with me and I know I can survive.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for the song!

You can survive and you will!