Help me help my mom!

Old 10-05-2003, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Help me help my mom!

My mom is an alcoholic, but not by her own admission. I want to get her help, but she won't let anyone help her because she doesn't think she has a problem with alcohol. Is there anything I can do so that I can have my old mom back- the one who doesn't drink all the time? Help please!!
Old 10-05-2003, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Sober4 and welcome to the forums!

Sadly, there is really not much one can do to help an alcoholic until they are ready to get help. You can help yourself by going to alanon or alateen meetings. It's not your fault and it's not your responsibility.

Are you a minor living at home? If you are being neglected or endangered because of her drinking, you need to tell another responsible adult. Is your father around? An aunt or uncle? Make sure you stay safe.

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 10-05-2003, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi sober4mymom

I'm sorry that your Mom's drinking is causing you so much heartache. I grew up with an alcoholic mother and I can sympathize with what you're going through. The only thing you can do is voice your concerns to your mother. It sounds like she is in denial about her problem, so that may not get you far. It also might get you a long diatribe from her that you don't need right now.
Alanon and Alateen are wonderful places to go for experience, strength and hope. If you are a young person, I would also suggest talking to your school counselor. Smoke's idea about talking to another responsible adult is very good as well.
The people at this forum are very supportive. Please feel free to post here as often as you need to.
Hugs to you.
Peace,
Gabe