Notices

Free to Climb!

Old 04-21-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On my path.

Free to Climb!

We have to be free enough to climb. Beyond addiction and recovery, what does this mean for you?

When I am feeling lost I think of this and I feel attached to the world again.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great question! Thanks, 55...

I keep a book called Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women by my bedside. One story reminds me of your post:

"When you look at a mountain, it's clear to see why they have long been a metaphor for life's challenges...As you stand at the bottom of the mountain, seeing it all at once, planning to climb it can seem like an overwhelming challenge...Focus only on what's in front of you...If you focus on how far you have to go until the top, you become fatigued from the mere contemplation of it, thereby risking your ability to complete the climb...

...We are all certain to experience challenges in our lifetimes. Dealing with our challenges on a daily basis is no different from climbing a mountain one step at a time. You can handle any situation that appears to be an obstacle if you take it one step at a time, keeping your attention here, now. If you attempt to take in the whole problem at once, you risk not making it to the finish line."
Old 04-22-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just staying sober makes me feel attached to the world again 'cause I am free to feel my emotions instead of masking them with alcohol. I like the mountain story. It is easier to break tasks into small bits and deal with it that way instead of looking at the whole 'mountain', which is overwhelming.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a book by a Christian author, Warren Wiersbe, called "The Bumps are What You Climb On". I haven't read it in years, but this thread made me think of it.

I thought of this right off the bat...when I am drinking, those bumps are dangerous. They trip me up because I either don't see them, or just plain can't navigate them.

When I am sober, those bumps are like those hand & feet holds in a rock climbing walls. I can grab them, and use them to anchor my feet in place as I move on. The give me traction.

Drinking is anything but freeing. It kept me tethered to the house, I wouldn't drive if I had been drinking, and didn't like even running normal errands because I was almost always hung over. I made myself a prisoner in my own home.