Notices

Dedication to beating alcohol this time.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dedication to beating alcohol this time.

Sooo I'm 8 days sober today and yesterday I made the drastic step of tattooing my intent of lifetime sobriety on my leg. Madness probably (definitely) but man it felt good :P

It's done like the guys tat in memento, i.e. it faces me so I can read it!

Forgive the horribleness of my leg, but yeah, just wanted to share :wtf2

Oh and btw it's not really supposed to look nice incase you're thinking I've ruined my body or something, but rather be a big time black and white reminder for me in a few weeks/months/years of what I realised on that date; i.e. I am an alcoholic and I can never drink again.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you going to AA?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Are you going to AA?
Yeah I am.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Are you going to AA?
A.A. Will Help.. i Concur!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 24hrsAday View Post
A.A. Will Help.. i Concur!
And it is :P
Old 04-20-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

I am glad you are going to AA. Working the 12 Step program removed my obsession to drink alcohol.

It can remove yours too and that date will be the only date you will have to tattoo on your body.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by intention View Post
I am glad you are going to AA. Working the 12 Step program removed my obsession to drink alcohol.

It can remove yours too and that date will be the only date you will have to tattoo on your body.
AA is excellent but after all the "dry drunk" attempts to quit and all I've read since I've finished college for the summer I realised that AA will only help as long as I personally am willing to change. This is something I would never ever have done before and the few hours I was waiting from the time I booked it I was just thinking "man, a few drinks would sure give me the balls to get this tattoo". But life's not about that, it's about having the balls to deal with whatever comes at me without some drunken crutch. I only have one chance.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good man! I like that tattoo then...i had one done last year on my belly it says in big letters PROGRESS 09 i was either going to get sober or that was it for me...

Going to AA, getting a sponsor, working the steps and getting my spiritual awakening got me sober and the close contact with my Higher Power keeps me sober.

I was able to do the above because i was a drowning man and AA was the very last life ring in the water, i was willing to do anything that my sponsor told me...i joke sometimes that it is lucky AA is not a cult as i would have done anything to get sober, but seriously i would have done anything at all...much like a dead man walking i had nothing at all to lose...

Funny thing is 4 weeks after walking in the doors i was then working to not lose everything i still had in my life, what a switch and i remember saying when is this spiritual awakening thing gonna happen?! If i had been there i would have said mate you've had it you just don't realise it yet;-)

Go for it man, this is no time for thinking or analysing it's action time right now!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
But life's not about that, it's about having the balls to deal with whatever comes at me without some drunken crutch.
This reminds me of when my sponsor told me "The 12-steps aint for sissies.."
Old 05-03-2010, 03:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, 3 weeks into sobriety now

The other day I was on a bus home from the city and I saw an add for a music festival I went to in my youth that's sponsored by Heineken. I thought about how if I attend gigs in future I'll be sober and that's something I've never really done before and it kinda scared me. I thought "But......am I REALLY an alcoholic?" for a split second, then I thought "OF COURSE you're a ******* alcoholic you have "do not drink" tattoo'd on your leg!!!".

So yeah things are going great at the moment, I'm eating well, waking up early every morning with a smile on my face. I've started job hunting for the first time in a year and I'm enjoying life immensely - I should say my second life thanks to my higher power. It's rare that I'm thinking about what I'm 'missing out on' by not drinking. In fact I'm thinking about what I actually missed out on by drinking.

The opportunities are endless. I have a chance to actually live a life worth living. To not just 'exist' in a drunken haze and watch the days fly by while my life goes down the tubes.

I'm extremely thankful for this hand I've been dealt. I've won the lottery that an awful lot of alcoholics will never win. Thanks to SR, AA, my beautiful friends and family and all the love that's been unconditionally shown to me. I thought I wasn't asking for help but I guess looking back I was screaming out for help subconsciously. It's this love that helps me throughout the day and in time I hope to be able to share some love and help some people unconditionally too. We're all in this boat together and the only thing keeping us afloat is the love and compassion we show each other.

I sound like such a hippy, but what can you do
Old 05-03-2010, 04:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well said Ronan! Send me some of that love here in Germany. Keeping it going one sober day at a time. All the best!!
Old 05-03-2010, 04:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ronan, I appreciate all the observations you've made & agree with these things especially: Life's about dealing with whatever comes without numbing ourselves. When sober, we have a chance to experience our lives, not just exist in a drunken haze. (Or as I like to say, not just 'phone it in'

Thanks for the uplifting posts, and I'm thankful you are doing so well.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't like tattoos, but I'd actually consider one for my one-year sobriety anniversary. That said, I'm a regular blood donor and I believe Red Cross makes you take a one-year break from donating if you get a tattoo.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
I have a chance to actually live a life worth living. To not just 'exist' in a drunken haze and watch the days fly by while my life goes down the tubes.
Fair play to you Ronan!!! Such a beautifully written and uplifting message - very inspirational and I absolutely LOVE the tattoo and the fact that you got the idea from such a class film :-)!! And to get it done stone cold sober took a lot of courage!! You have come such a long way!

Heading towards day 90 this week and heading home this Saturday (can't wait!) - though had a particularly tricky weekend: went for dinner with friends on Sat night - one of the girls is a very heavy drinker and used to be a real 'drinking buddy' when we're together. I think she was disappointed that I wasn't drinking and ended up sharing a bottle of wine with one of the others instead of the usual 'few bottles' + champagne + spirits. It felt great getting up Sunday morning with no hangover for once! Then we had an event + lunch with my boss and direct colleagues & partners on the Sunday morning! I would usually need to drink at these things to 'get me through it' but was grand with my diet coke!

Hope all's going well with the job hunting - take good care of yourself and t2ul8r,

Almath
Old 05-12-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

30 days yo
Old 05-12-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nice one on 30 days sober!!!!

Increase The Peace
Old 05-12-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Wow - way to go!

Love this post:
It's rare that I'm thinking about what I'm 'missing out on' by not drinking. In fact I'm thinking about what I actually missed out on by drinking.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

60 Days today! I feel like I should say something...so here goes...:

something
Old 06-11-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

((Ronan))

WAY TO GO!!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-11-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)